The Books Thread

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I have heard that Jordon really seems to go off base with those books, expanding story lines, storylines that don't end, character that take books to meat up again.

I have a feeling I will be hooked book one, but some of the complaints against the series make me doubtful I want to make that kind of commitment.
I read all the way up through Sanderson's first book. Even though that one was the best since six or seven, after that I realized Jordan had worn me out so badly over his last 4 books that I didn't care what happened any more.

jeebs

Brand New Member
GRRM, that fat ass New England fisherman fucked me. I bought his new anthology, and instead of the hundred plus page novellette he usually includes, I get a little 30 page short story. The cunt.

junk

Not So New Member
GRRM, that fat ass New England fisherman fucked me. I bought his new anthology, and instead of the hundred plus page novellette he usually includes, I get a little 30 page short story. The cunt.
Which one? He's got like three of those I want to read

Dreamsongs I and II are pretty good short story collections from GRRM

Different topic - The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August was a great book

jeebs

Brand New Member
Ian Esslemonts Assail is best work yet (except maybe for his first Night of Knives), I think he is maturing as a writer. While erickson is certainly much more philosophic, esslemont is getting stronger their without beating you over the head with it and his books are a much easier read. And for once I didn't feel like I read through the climax of the book without realizing anything happened (which seems to happen way to much in these malazan books, which is odd with how well they are generally written).

jeebs

Brand New Member
Which one? He's got like three of those I want to read

Dreamsongs I and II are pretty good short story collections from GRRM

Different topic - The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August was a great book
I just bought GRRM's anthology Rogues. His story is solid but short. I had enjoyed his earlier Heroes.

junk

Not So New Member
I just bought GRRM's anthology Rogues. His story is solid but short. I had enjoyed his earlier Heroes.
OK, he also has one titled Old Mars and one titled Dangerous Women. I haven't read any of them, but I've got them all on my Amazon Wish List.

How was the Gillian Flynn story? Gone Girl is kind of overrated, but Dark Places was a good book.

Heroes was an anthology too?

Check out Harry August, I think you'd like it. Claire North wrote it.

jeebs

Brand New Member
OK, he also has one titled Old Mars and one titled Dangerous Women. I haven't read any of them, but I've got them all on my Amazon Wish List.

How was the Gillian Flynn story? Gone Girl is kind of overrated, but Dark Places was a good book.

Heroes was an anthology too?

Check out Harry August, I think you'd like it. Claire North wrote it.
Heroes and Heroes II were both anthologies. Dangerous women was a damned good anthology too, but was disappointed with grrm' dance with dragons, I had been waiting for his dunk and egg 4

junk

Not So New Member
Heroes and Heroes II were both anthologies. Dangerous women was a damned good anthology too, but was disappointed with grrm' dance with dragons, I had been waiting for his dunk and egg 4
I can't find Heroes. Amazon link?

I see Legends, but not a Heroes anthology.

jeebs

Brand New Member
The World of Ice and Fire is a beautiful book, but with a 4th grade reading level. The pictures are magnificent, they are worth the price of admission but the prose are just awful. It is boringly written, and outside the targaryen history, I don't think their is a single fact in these books not contained in the novels. Just a bunch of shit thrown on the wall.

I can help but feel this is a blatant cash grab, though to be fair the artwork does elevate this book to a respectable coffee table book (but who would want to actually read a coffe table book?)

The similaron this books is not

junk

Not So New Member
[MENTION=90]jeebs[/MENTION] - have you read the Dunk and Egg stories in the Legends collection. It is a two book series of short stories (King had a Dark Tower short story with Roland in the first). The story in the first book was, I think, the first Dunk and Egg story. It was how they met. I feel like I read it somewhere else too. Dreamsongs maybe? The second was a story of Dunk and Egg later when Dunk was working as a hedge knight and Egg was his squire.

jeebs

Brand New Member
[MENTION=90]jeebs[/MENTION] - have you read the Dunk and Egg stories in the Legends collection. It is a two book series of short stories (King had a Dark Tower short story with Roland in the first). The story in the first book was, I think, the first Dunk and Egg story. It was how they met. I feel like I read it somewhere else too. Dreamsongs maybe? The second was a story of Dunk and Egg later when Dunk was working as a hedge knight and Egg was his squire.
yes, I have read them. There are three so far, I am eagerly awaiting the 4th (the she wolves of winterfell) but I think it has spoilers for the 6th book so it keeps getting delayed (of at least that is my explanation for the delays).

Not that I advocate not paying for books, but all the dunk and eggs books can be found as PDFs online.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Gonna have to put the Wheel of Time series on hold.

Got Marvel Unlimited. 15000 comics to read.

junk

Not So New Member
yes, I have read them. There are three so far, I am eagerly awaiting the 4th (the she wolves of winterfell) but I think it has spoilers for the 6th book so it keeps getting delayed (of at least that is my explanation for the delays).

Not that I advocate not paying for books, but all the dunk and eggs books can be found as PDFs online.
Or Martin is just slow as shit when it comes to writing.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Anybody read any Stephen Baxter stuff?

I ran across him in a Wiki rabbit hole session and his stuff sounds interesting.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
My wife bought me the book Unbroken. Have started it and its really good. I just dont think I can finish it before the movie leaves the theater and I want to see it. Just may go ahead and watch it.

junk

Not So New Member
Anybody read any Stephen Baxter stuff?

I ran across him in a Wiki rabbit hole session and his stuff sounds interesting.
No, but the Long Earth stuff he did with Pratchett keeps coming up on my recommendations list.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
The Sigma Force series of books by James Rollins are turning out to be good listens. I don't have time to read anything but study books right now, but I listen to a crap ton of audio books while driving. I recommend these and the books by Brad Thor.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Been reading a lot lately.

I have finally clicked with Stephen King. Maybe I've dropped some pretensions. I really enjoyed The Dark Half. I also found a used copy of The Bachman Books with Rage in it. It is hard to find because he let it fall out of print, but it is worth reading if you find it. Kind of Lord of the Flies meets The Breakfast Club.

Right now I'm reading Joe Hill's latest, The Fireman. So far it doesn't have the teeth of NOS4A2 or Heart-Shaped Box, but I like it.

Top Bottom