Gosselin: When Cowboys figure out character matters, maybe they'll start competing for championships again

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Gosselin: When Cowboys figure out character matters, maybe they'll start competing for championships again

By Rick Gosselin , Staff Columnist

The road to the Super Bowl just got a little longer for the Cowboys.

Word is Randy Gregory has failed his fifth drug test -- fourth with the Cowboys -- and has checked himself into a rehabilitation clinic. He's already been suspended by the NFL for the first four games of the 2016 season, as has defensive line bookend DeMarcus Lawrence.

With Gregory and Lawrence out, the Cowboys figure to enter September with a pass rush that, on paper, counts fewer than 15 sacks. That's not enough to contend for Lombardi trophies. The Broncos won an NFL title last season with 52 sacks, and the average number of sacks by a Super Bowl champion has been 44.

But the feeling was if the Cowboys could just stay afloat during the opening month, reinforcements would be on the way in the form of their two best pass rushers.

Gregory and Lawrence, a couple of second-round draft picks, figured to dial up the heat on quarterbacks for the 2016 Cowboys with young, fresh legs off the edge. Now it appears Gregory could be facing a longer suspension.

Lawrence led the Cowboys with eight sacks a year ago but flourished with much of the blocking attention focused on Greg Hardy. With Hardy gone and Gregory now facing a potential 10-game suspension, which would keep him on ice until Thanksgiving, Lawrence will be the one guy the opposition needs to target. That would make it difficult for him to match his eight sacks of a year ago -- and now he'll have only 12 games in which to collect them.

Gregory was a first-round talent who slid deep into the second round because of character concerns. The Cowboys gleefully claimed him there. But when you draft a headache, you get a headache. And, once again, you lose a pass rusher.

We've seen too many Hardys, McClains, Gregorys and Lawrences of late... Character matters. When the Cowboys figure that out, maybe they can start competing for championships again.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

By Rick Gosselin , Staff Columnist

The road to the Super Bowl just got a little longer for the Cowboys.

Word is Randy Gregory has failed his fifth drug test -- fourth with the Cowboys -- and has checked himself into a rehabilitation clinic. He's already been suspended by the NFL for the first four games of the 2016 season, as has defensive line bookend DeMarcus Lawrence.

With Gregory and Lawrence out, the Cowboys figure to enter September with a pass rush that, on paper, counts fewer than 15 sacks. That's not enough to contend for Lombardi trophies. The Broncos won an NFL title last season with 52 sacks, and the average number of sacks by a Super Bowl champion has been 44.

But the feeling was if the Cowboys could just stay afloat during the opening month, reinforcements would be on the way in the form of their two best pass rushers.

Gregory and Lawrence, a couple of second-round draft picks, figured to dial up the heat on quarterbacks for the 2016 Cowboys with young, fresh legs off the edge. Now it appears Gregory could be facing a longer suspension.

Lawrence led the Cowboys with eight sacks a year ago but flourished with much of the blocking attention focused on Greg Hardy. With Hardy gone and Gregory now facing a potential 10-game suspension, which would keep him on ice until Thanksgiving, Lawrence will be the one guy the opposition needs to target. That would make it difficult for him to match his eight sacks of a year ago -- and now he'll have only 12 games in which to collect them.

Gregory was a first-round talent who slid deep into the second round because of character concerns. The Cowboys gleefully claimed him there. But when you draft a headache, you get a headache. And, once again, you lose a pass rusher.

We've seen too many Hardys, McClains, Gregorys and Lawrences of late... Character matters. When the Cowboys figure that out, maybe they can start competing for championships again.
Yep. I commented on this a few weeks back and called them fringe players.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The cowboys had a period where brought in nothing but choir boys. They passed on Randy moss for Greg Ellis for Christ sake. That didn't work either.

We didn't take enough risks then. We take probably too many now.

But, we took plenty of character risks under Jimmy Johnson.

Honestly I think this is less about the character of our players and more about the coaching we've had.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
People rail against the risk we took with Hardy, but honestly he was no worse than Haley was. Why did one move work out and the other didn't?

The difference is coaching.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
People rail against the risk we took with Hardy, but honestly he was no worse than Haley was. Why did one move work out and the other didn't?

You really think a different coach would have or could have kept Gregory from his love affair with weed?

2233boys

Not So New Member
I have a real issue with Gregory being suspended because of weed. It's ridiculous

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

It's not taking risks on questionable characters that is the problem. It's investing big resources in someone with questionable character. Resources like a second round draft pick or a big contract.

I don't think Hardy really got either so I'd agree with you. Hardy wasn't the problem at all. And coaching is a huge part of the problem. I bet you Tunsil doesn't have these issues in the NFL even though he clearly had a shit ton of issues coming out of Ole Miss.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I have a real issue with Gregory being suspended because of weed. It's ridiculous
I'm with you however if not smoking weed is part of the rules for being an NFL employee you have to abide by the company's rule set.

They broke company rules, simple as that. So there really is no use continuing the argument about how weed is less harmful than cigarette, alcohol, etc.

Just like I'm sure that it's a probably a punishable offense if an AT&T Store employee reported to work one day rocking gear with Verizon logos.

If the players want to smoke that badly then they should give up their career, move to Colorado, and find a job that doesn’t have a drug policy that includes marijuana.

data

Forbes #1
#1 valuable franchise in the world. Jerruh don't give a shit about avg SB champs having 44 sacks.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm with you however if not smoking weed is part of the rules for being an NFL employee you have to abide by the company's rule set.

They broke company rules, simple as that. So there really is no use continuing the argument about how weed is less harmful than cigarette, alcohol, etc.

Just like I'm sure that it's a probably a punishable offense if an AT&T Store employee reported to work one day rocking gear with Verizon logos.

If the players want to smoke that badly then they should give up their career, move to Colorado, and find a job that doesn’t have a drug policy that includes marijuana.
This is all true. My argument has always been that the league is shooting themselves in the foot over the weed issue. Essentially dirtying their own image over a legal drug and are taking the more talented players off the field in the process. Thus making their product worse for no legitimate reason.

townsend

Banned
Peyton Manning and Cam Newton competed for the Super Bowl this year. Both had character problems in college. I don't think anyone would accuse the 90s Cowboys of being choir boys either.

What's holding this team back rhymes with Schmerry Schmones and it has less to do with what we go after and a whole lot more to do with the positions we walk into with massive holes. Drafting Gregory, trading for McClain, signing Hardy were decent gambles. Penciling McClain or Gregory in as starters after they've proven to be unreliable is the problem. Jerry doesn't just make bad gambles, he clings to them and chases bad money with good for a couple seasons. He keeps a Brent or Beuhler, or Austin, or Dunbar, or Randle, or McClain, or Ratliff, or Barber on the team after they've proven they're useless.

We went into 2015 knowing that Weedon wasn't a good enough backup, we're going into 2016 downgraded from that. We won't consider cutting any of the shitbags that have proven themselves useless and untrustworthy. We won't even look at a stop gap at DE. Here we are a decade removed from the team that just assumed Jacob Rogers and Keith Davis could walk into camp as unchallenged starters, and nothing has changed.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The cowboys had a period where brought in nothing but choir boys. They passed on Randy moss for Greg Ellis for Christ sake. That didn't work either.

We didn't take enough risks then. We take probably too many now.

But, we took plenty of character risks under Jimmy Johnson.

Honestly I think this is less about the character of our players and more about the coaching we've had.
Yup.....the coaching and the scouting/drafting is the bigger issue.

A real front office doesn't keep throwing away 2nd round picks the way we have, and that has contributed more to our mediocrity than not bringing in model citizens has.

Top Bottom