Archer: Should Cowboys look into Nick Foles?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If we are looking at the possibility of Prescott being a developmental quarterback and learning as quickly and thoroughly as possible then we probably want a more cerebral quarterback at second string that can help him along. That would be Moore.
I agree with all of this. Basically I have no faith in Moore and Foles really anyway. So go with the guy who knows the system best.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Jerry said No to Foles so those that didn't want him have Jerry with the same mindset.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Jerry said No to Foles so those that didn't want him have Jerry with the same mindset.

:towel

I don't care if Jerry agrees with me, a broken clock is right twice a day. Foles sucks.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry and Stephen Jones: Why QB Nick Foles isn't an option for Cowboys as backup

By Jon Machota , Staff Writer Contact Jon Machota on Twitter: @jonmachota

OXNARD, Calif. -- This seems to surprise many, but the Cowboys are content with going into the 2016 season with Kellen Moore as their backup quarterback.

The Rams recently released Nick Foles, leading to speculation that the Cowboys would have interest in the 2013 Pro Bowl QB. But Jerry Jones completely shut the door on that idea Friday during the team's annual press conference to open training camp.

"Foles isn't an option," the Cowboys owner and general manager said. "We wouldn't get him any snaps. We got four that are going to get the snaps."

Jones was referring to Tony Romo, Moore, Dak Prescott and Jameill Showers.

"We know Foles pretty well," Jones added. "We like Moore."

Foles spent three seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles, which included the 2013 campaign when he threw 27 touchdown passes to only two interceptions.

According to executive vice president Stephen Jones, the Cowboys aren't in the market for a veteran backup.

"This was something that we discussed ad nauseam in the offseason in terms of the direction we wanted to go at the quarterback position," Stephen Jones said. "Obviously, based on the successes you have and we had a lot of confidence in Kellen, and based on what happened in the draft could have changed our thoughts. But at the end of the day, it's hard to develop these guys if you don't let them practice and get reps.

"So if you throw another guy, a veteran guy, in there with Kellen and in front of Dak and Showers, then they don't ever get to play. We saw it last year with Cincinnati, great success with AJ [McCarron] and played great when he had to fill in for [Andy] Dalton and had every chance in the world to win that playoff game. It was out of his control, he did what he needed to do, so it's a great model for us.

"We've got to bring these guys along if they're going to continue to improve and our decision just became: Is it Kellen or is it Foles? Is it Kellen or is it 'X'? Is it Kellen or is it 'Y'? And we feel good about the two young guys that are behind them and we want them to get a lot of reps in practice and the preseason."

McCarron started the final three regular season games for the Bengals last year. Cincinnati went 2-1 as McCarron threw four touchdowns and no interceptions.

He then started the Bengals' wild card playoff game against the Steelers. Pittsburgh won 18-16 as McCarron threw for one touchdown, one interception and 212 yards on 23 of 41 passing.

"At some point, you got to commit your resources to getting your young guys ready or you're always in that mode of older, veteran guys," Stephen Jones said. "I think with where Tony is in his career, we're starting that journey and obviously we made a significant pick there with Dak and we obviously like what we've seen in Showers, and we think Kellen is mature beyond his years, so we're comfortable with where we are. At some point you can get too crowded there."

Foles was acquired by the Rams last offseason in the trade that sent Sam Bradford to Philadelphia. Foles then signed a two-year, $24.5 million extension. He started the first nine games before getting benched in favor of Case Keenum.

The Rams used the No. 1 overall pick of the 2016 NFL draft on quarterback Jared Goff.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Eh, if there's room for him on the TC roster, give him a look if nothing else. When you're comparing Foles and Moore, it's apples and oranges because while they're both mediocre, Foles does bring a different skill set. Sure, Moore knows the system but we've already seen what he can do in game situations.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Eh, if there's room for him on the TC roster, give him a look if nothing else. When you're comparing Foles and Moore, it's apples and oranges because while they're both mediocre, Foles does bring a different skill set. Sure, Moore knows the system but we've already seen what he can do in game situations.
Moore didn't do badly in his backup games last season. His arm is still small college level but his head is all pro. He just has to control himself and recognize that there are some schemes he is limited. With an improved running game he really shouldn't have to get out of his capability level. It's a matter of the OC calling the right strategy for his skills if he has to be used.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That is an irrelevant point. You need a backup who can come in and play. The question is only whether Foles is better than Moore. Physically he certainly is. He's certainly has some really good experience under his belt. I would definitely bring him in for a look-see. He's only 27. Moore's ceiling is to be Jason Garrett as a player.
I'd rather throw in Prescott than see either Moore or Foles.

Otherwise why else did we draft a QB in the 4th round?

If you think he's going to be a long term starter who's going to take us to championships, dream on.

No, the only reason to have him at all is so you don't end up in the mess we found ourselves last year. He's our own Tyrod Taylor.

Top Bottom