Eatman - Frederick letting agent handle contract talks

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Frederick Letting Agent, Cowboys Handle All Contract Talks

Sunday, July 31, 2016 2:30 PM CDT

The Cowboys’ All-Pro center is entering the fourth season of a five-year contract, which included a fifth-year option for 2017. Cowboys VP Stephen Jones said on Friday the club is working on a new deal for their center.

But while some players admit to wanting that security taken care of before the season starts, Frederick didn’t seem too concerned at all about his contract situation overall.

“For me, this camp is about getting better as a team. The focus is on football not on that,” Frederick said. “I have an agent that handles that. If they get anything done, he’ll bring it to me.”

Frederick has made two straight Pro Bowls and was named to All-Pro teams each of the last two seasons.

Recently, Alex Mack signed a contract worth $45 million, including $20 million guaranteed. Mike Pouncey of the Dolphins is the second-highest paid center with a total contract of $44.7 million and $11 million guaranteed.

It’s safe to assume Frederick’s camp will be asking for the Mack range, especially if the negotiations last past this year and the Cowboys center stacks another All-Pro season to his resume.

“Obviously it would be fun to stick in one place and make something work,” Frederick said. “Like I said, I have people that deal with that for me so I don’t have to worry about it. We’ll see how it works out.”

-Nick Eatman

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
He'll get somewhere around 10 a year, probably about 25-30 guaranteed.

I'll say 6 years, 59 million, 29 guaranteed.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I'd keep him, Smith, and Martin locked up. Pay them what you have to. You can plug in at the other spots here and there so long as you have 3 rocks like this anchoring the line.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
I'd keep him, Smith, and Martin locked up. Pay them what you have to. You can plug in at the other spots here and there so long as you have 3 rocks like this anchoring the line.
La'El Collins has the potential to be the best player out of all of them. Maybe better than Smith is a stretch, but better than Frederick and Martin

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If Collins becomes a Pro Bowler/All-Pro over the next 2 years he will undoubtedly be re-signed as well.

Carp

DCC 4Life
He'll get somewhere around 10 a year, probably about 25-30 guaranteed.

I'll say 6 years, 59 million, 29 guaranteed.
Good player, but he should not be the highest paid center in the NFL.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Good player, but he should not be the highest paid center in the NFL.
Even though by most accounts he is at least a top 3-5 center in the league and some would argue that he's the best?

His peers are guys like Maurkice Pouncey, Mike Pouncey, Ryan Kalil and Alex Mack, and all of those guys are making about 8-9 a year. When you consider that salaries only go up as time goes on and that Frederick is just as good, if not better than those guys while also being much younger than Mack and Kalil, and much less injury prone than Maurkice Pouncey, it's not unrealistic to think he gets at least 9 a year.

Rodney Hudson just got 5 years/44.5 million last offseason to play center and he's never even made an All-Pro team.

I think the market is pretty well established at right around 9 a year for elite centers and considering his age and that salaries are always incrementally increasing, I think somewhere between 9-10 is fair.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

I'll take it.

dallen

Senior Tech
It is a lot of money, but after Tyron Smith, Frederick is the most important player on our oline imo. Collins may be better soon, but guards are a little easier to plug in than tackles and centers. Hopefully the main four can all stay. Keeping the line together long term as we move on from Romo needs to be a high priority.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It is a lot of money, but after Tyron Smith, Frederick is the most important player on our oline imo. Collins may be better soon, but guards are a little easier to plug in than tackles and centers. Hopefully the main four can all stay. Keeping the line together long term as we move on from Romo needs to be a high priority.
Martin is next and he won't be cheap either.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Martin is next and he won't be cheap either.
DeCastro and Zeitler are FA's after this season, that'll set the market for Martin. I'm guessing we end up paying him somewhere between 10-11 a year, which I'm not particularly worried about doing.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I'm on my phone so can't post the article but it's structured so that his cap number this year stays the same. (2 million). However it jumps to 14 million next year so will be restructured after 1 year.

Top Bottom