MLB Chatter Thread

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Archer can be had, but it'll take more than Profar. You guys are turning him into basically a slightly better hitting Ben Zobrist with all the position switching.
You are saying that like it's a bad thing but it wasn't the Rangers decision. Profar came up because of an injury and forced the decision. Im sure if they had their choice he would be at one position playing daily. Also sure it's not just Profar for Archer. I know there will be other players involved but depending on where you read Archer may or may not be tradeable. Everything that I have read concerning the two teams is that the Rangers don't want to give up either Gallo or Profar for Odorizzi or Moore. That the only way they give up Profar is for the right guy. Then they go right into talking about Archer. That leads me to believe Profar is only going to be dealt for a TORP and that Gallo is easier to get them Profar.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Archer can be had, but it'll take more than Profar. You guys are turning him into basically a slightly better hitting Ben Zobrist with all the position switching.
If he can play all of those positions proficiently, that would make his trade value more.

Rev

Staff member
If he can play all of those positions proficiently, that would make his trade value more.
I don't know if the teams believe it but some people think it affects them mentally. Affects their offense. Profar has recently came out and said that he is a shortstop but is willing to play other positions right now.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I don't know if the teams believe it but some people think it affects them mentally. Affects their offense. Profar has recently came out and said that he is a shortstop but is willing to play other positions right now.
I think it depends on the player. Obviously a guy like Ben Zobrist has made a career of it and it hasn't seem to bother him. This year Javier Baez has 23 appearances at 2B, 12 at SS, 48 at 3B, 4 at 1B, and 2 in LF. He is pretty outstanding at 3B, SS, and 2B and it hasn't seemed to affect him mentally because his batting average and strikeout rate have both improved dramatically this season.

Carp

DCC 4Life
We are supposedly going pretty hard for Lucroy...d'Arnaud is the primary piece.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think it depends on the player. Obviously a guy like Ben Zobrist has made a career of it and it hasn't seem to bother him. This year Javier Baez has 23 appearances at 2B, 12 at SS, 48 at 3B, 4 at 1B, and 2 in LF. He is pretty outstanding at 3B, SS, and 2B and it hasn't seemed to affect him mentally because his batting average and strikeout rate have both improved dramatically this season.
There is success with it, certainly helps the team, but, particularly with young players, I hate all the shifting around to different spots.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
We are supposedly going pretty hard for Lucroy...d'Arnaud is the primary piece.
That would be a nice add for the Mets. He is a really good bat. A tough out. Always hear that catchers don't get moved much midseason though because they have to learn a new pitching staff and vice versa. I'm sure he'll help them though and if I were a Mets fan I would be of the 'WGAS' mindset regarding d'Arnaud at this point. The guy is always hurt.

D

Deuce

If a team believes that. A team could also look at it like he isn't good enough at any one spot defensively to lock it down.

Mia's far as he's concerned, once they started working him in at OF his average has started to drop significantly. Maybe it's a coincidence, but when you spend so much time learning new spots it takes a lot of focus from what he's working on at the plate too.

Rev

Staff member
If a team believes that. A team could also look at it like he isn't good enough at any one spot defensively to lock it down.

Mia's far as he's concerned, once they started working him in at OF his average has started to drop significantly. Maybe it's a coincidence, but when you spend so much time learning new spots it takes a lot of focus from what he's working on at the plate too.
He had one day of work in the outfield. Dont think that is going to affect it that much.

Carp

DCC 4Life
We are trying Conforto in CF...dear god.

At least with Reyes we do have a bit of speed, but this team is so station to station, it hurts. We'll still beat the Cubs, but still.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Blue Jays Agree To Acquire Melvin Upton

By Jeff Todd | July 26, 2016 at 7:11am CDT

The Blue Jays have agreed to a deal to acquire outfielder Melvin Upton from the Padres in exchange for an A-ball prospect, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (via Twitter). While financial details aren’t yet known, a “very substantial sum” of Upton’s contract will remain on San Diego’s books, Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca tweets.

Los Angeles, CA, USA; San Diego Padres left fielder Melvin Upton Jr. (2) in the dugout before the game against the Los Angeles Dodgers at Dodger Stadium.

The swap is likely to be finalized today, says Rosenthal, who had reported last night that Toronto was in the lead to add Upton. Among the other teams said to have had real interest were the Orioles and Indians, each of whom will need to look elsewhere to bolster their outfield reserves.

Upton brings a versatile, right-handed-hitting bat to the Jays’ alignment. He is only checking in with a league-average batting line on the year — with a .256/.304/.439 slash that reflects the fact that he has struck out in nearly one-third of his plate appearances — but has had a bigger impact than that. Upton has also swatted 16 home runs and swiped twenty bags, both of which are more reminiscent of his top-level output in those departments from his days with the Rays.

With a quality glove that is plenty capable of handling center field, Upton figures to be a frequently-used semi-regular for Toronto. The team hasn’t received much with the bat from center fielder Kevin Pillar this year, though he is a top-flight defender. Left fielder Michael Saunders has been a revelation, but despite his quality numbers this season against lefties could probably stand to take a rest from time to time when a southpaw is on the hill. And star slugger Jose Bautista is likely to have the most impact — both down the stretch and, the team hopes, in the playoffs — if he isn’t used too heavily in right field. Upton will likely see action in all three spots, relegating Ezequiel Carrera to a fifth-outfielder role (if he is able to hold onto his roster spot).

We’re waiting to see precisely how the teams have sorted the money out in this swap, but that was a key area to watch in any deal involving Upton. He is playing in the second-to-final season of the big contract he inked with the Braves before the 2013 campaign, which was shipped to San Diego two years later. Upton has $5.63MM left on his salary for the present season, with $16.45MM still to come for 2017.

With larger-salaried players including Bautista, Edwin Encarnacion, and R.A. Dickey set to hit the open market after the year, Toronto may well have somewhat greater payroll flexibility for 2017 than it does at present. It also now has one more piece of its outfield puzzle in place for the coming season, with not only Bautista but also Saunders soon able to go to the highest bidder (even if they do so with a qualifying offer hanging over them).

For the fourth-place Padres, the deal continues a broader sell-off as the organization’s attention shifts to acquiring young assets. Certainly, the fact that Upton was able to restore his stock constitutes a big win for San Diego, as his contract was significantly under water when he was included as part of the financial machinations in the pre-2015 Craig Kimbrel swap. Beyond the prospect value coming directly from this deal, San Diego GM A.J. Preller ought to be able to redirect the cost savings on Upton’s deal to buy-low veterans who could themselves turn into trade chips.

Even better, clearing Upton from the roster allows the Friars to allocate playing time to some top prospects who seem prepared for a shot at the big leagues. Hunter Renfroe is presently laying waste to Triple-A pitching at 24 years of age, so he’d certainly qualify. And the younger Manuel Margot has his own case for a promotion; he’s hitting well in his first go at the highest level of the minors and could represent a near-future option in center.

Rev

Staff member
Supposedly KC has told teams that the package that New York got for Chapman wouldn't do it for Davis.

Cotton

Staff member

They want Gallo, Mazara, and a couple of prospects. It's just too much.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member

They want Gallo, Mazara, and a couple of prospects. It's just too much.
It is a lot, but Sale is a legit ace and would immediate vault the Rangers into clear favorites out of the AL, IMO. But that is a very steep price, I agree.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Apparently the Nats would be willing to offer up Lucas Gioliti, the best pitching prospect in all of baseball, for Andrew Miller...and the NYY would say that isn't enough! That is really, really retarded if true. The NYY desperately need pitching prospects and there literally is not a more highly regarded one than Giolito. They should be thrilled if they could get him for Miller. As good as Miller is, he is a bullpen arm. No way in hell he is more valuable than a potential future ace that just turned 22.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Sounds like the NYM are sniffing around Jay Bruce again. Probably the best move they could make. Bruce has really bounced back this year.

Rev

Staff member
It is a lot, but Sale is a legit ace and would immediate vault the Rangers into clear favorites out of the AL, IMO. But that is a very steep price, I agree.
Yep. I would rather do Gallo and Profar but they are insisting on Mazara.

Cotton

Staff member
Yep. I would rather do Gallo and Profar but they are insisting on Mazara.
Problem is, sounds like if we go Gallo and Profar, they want Tate, too. Again, I think even that's too much.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
We are trying Conforto in CF...dear god.

At least with Reyes we do have a bit of speed, but this team is so station to station, it hurts.
Bad idea. I was in the Wrigley bleachers in left/center last week when Conforto was playing LF. Seeing him live and up close I did not see a guy who should ever play CF. Not that it took seeing him live–it is pretty obvious–but seeing him move around out there certainly reinforces it.

Side note, the ever-creative bleacher bums were regularly referring to him as Con-FART-o. Bet he has never heard that one before. :rolleyes He did turn and glare at a guy that was continually shouting "You don't belong up here in the Show, Confarto! You should be in Vegas!" barbs at him though.

We'll still beat the Cubs, but still.
Mets have to make the postseason first. I think they probably will, but I thought it was a lock prior to the season.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
Yankees will not trade Andrew Miller straight up for Lucas Giolito. This is the #1 prospect in all of baseball for fuck sakes. Miller is an excellent pitcher, but if they pass on this deal...they are idiots.

Top Bottom