Archer: Randy Gregory absence hurts some but Cowboys' success always based on offense

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Randy Gregory absence hurts some but Cowboys' success always based on offense

Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

When the news broke that Randy Gregory would face a longer suspension because of another violation of the NFL’s substance abuse policy, and that he had checked himself into a treatment facility, it was met with differing emotions.

Some felt sorry for Gregory as he works through issues he has yet to get under control. Some wanted him cut as quickly as possible. Others lamented what an even more prolonged absence would mean for the Dallas Cowboys’ defense.

Clearly, it doesn’t help. The Cowboys do not have the deepest of defensive lines and their pass rush is, politely, unproven. The current leader in sacks for the players set to play Week 1 against the New York Giants is Orlando Scandrick with 9.5. He is a cornerback. Repeat: a cornerback.

But for all of Gregory’s promise, he remained more potential than proven as he entered his second season. He played in 12 games as a rookie and did not record a sack.

The optimist would point out that DeMarcus Lawrence did not have a regular-season sack as a rookie in 2014 but led the Cowboys in sacks in 2015 with eight.

The pessimist would point out Lawrence is set to miss the first four games this season because of a suspension.

Short of an unimaginable trade for a proven pass rusher -- guard Ronald Leary will not bring back one of those in a trade, by the way -- the Cowboys enter 2016 hoping they can find an improved pass rush from within. They are hoping Benson Mayowa (two career sacks) can do more with more playing time than he had with the Oakland Raiders. They are hoping Ryan Russell, David Irving, Charles Tapper and anybody else can become this year’s version of George Selvie, who had seven sacks in 2013.

They were hoping Gregory could be that guy.

Hoping.

In a way, the longer absence of Gregory is better than losing another starter to suspension. In addition to Lawrence, middle linebacker Rolando McClain is set to miss 10 games and Jason Garrett gave the most tepid of ‘yeses’ when asked if McClain would be with the team in training camp.

The loss of Gregory hurts, but the Cowboys’ success in 2016 has always been and will always be about their offense.

It was that way in 2014, too. The fallacy of that season is that the Cowboys simply played keep-away and the defense was able to rest. The truth is the offense scored a ton of points (467) in addition to holding on to the ball a lot. Last year’s defense was on the field for about one more play a game than the 2014 defense. The difference was the unit did not have the ability to defend with leads of 4, 7 or 10 points.

The defense fell short in late-game situations in losses to the New Orleans Saints (overtime), Philadelphia Eagles (overtime), Seattle Seahawks, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Buffalo Bills. The Cowboys weren’t good enough when it mattered most and they weren’t good enough because the offense couldn’t do much of anything.

In 2014, the Cowboys scored 56 touchdowns. Last year, with Tony Romo starting and finishing two games, they scored 26 touchdowns.

Playing defense with a lead is a lot easier. The opposing offense becomes more predictable. It can’t run the ball as much. Quarterbacks have to take chances, which lead to takeaways. The Cowboys had 11 takeaways in 2015. They had 31 takeaways in 2014.

Knowing Gregory and Lawrence were going to miss four games each in February, the Cowboys chose this direction. They did not make big free-agent pickups (Cedric Thornton at four years, $17 million was the biggest). They used their second-round pick on Jaylon Smith, who will not play as a rookie because of a knee injury.

This season was going to be about the offense.

Provided good health, the Cowboys have the look of one of the best offenses in the NFL in 2016.

Romo has to be great. Dez Bryant has to be great. Jason Witten has to be great. Ezekiel Elliott has to be great. That offensive line has to be great. Offensive coordinator Scott Linehan has to be great, too. Terrance Williams, Cole Beasley, Alfred Morris, James Hanna, Brice Butler and anyone else you want to mention have to play at a high level, too.

That’s a lot of pressure to put on one side of the ball, but it was that way before the Gregory news and it is that way now.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
This is how I feel pretty much. Gregory is talented and I'd rather have him active. But, he's not going to make or break our season.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Another crazy idea here.

Maybe, just maybe.....Romo and the offense wouldn't have to carry the bulk of the load on their shoulders if certain decision makers didn't repeatedly piss away early round picks and over rely on high-risk players.

You would think that with Romo only having 2-3 years left in him that Jerry and co. would place an emphasis on getting picks right and focusing on bringing in players who can help the team win right away. Instead we're treated to a constant barrage of 2nd round picks who either have serious character concerns or an injury to overcome. And we can't forget the backup TE fetish. It's been a few years since we wasted a 2nd round pick on TE so I'd say we're due for another one next April.

So again......maybe the defense would be a little stouter and Romo and the offense would have a little more help if the decision makers stopped using 2nd and 3rd round picks as if their 7th round compensatory picks. Common sense. But I've learned over the years that common sense ain't so common when it comes to Cowboys management.

So many of our shortcomings are self-inflicted and we keep finding the banana peel because of certain individuals egos. This is one of the main reasons why I no longer take this team seriously.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I feel like since Jerry has been marginalized over the last 3-4 years that the 2nd round is the bone they throw him to spread his idiotic wings in order to satisfy him. Our 2nd round picks have been poor for a decade now but I feel like the risk taking there has been ratcheted up the last few years with Gregory, Smith and trading up for Lawrence, which has worked out to some extent at least.

But yea, I agree with the general premise that the season hinges on the offense one way or the other, and I think I could easily argue that our defense is more talented right now than it was in 2014 even without Gregory.

dallen

Senior Tech
I think any one of us on here could do a better job drafting in the 2nd round. Well, except for [MENTION=43]Plan9Misfit[/MENTION]. He'd just try to draft the baby eater every year.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I think any one of us on here could do a better job drafting in the 2nd round. Well, except for [MENTION=43]Plan9Misfit[/MENTION]. He'd just try to draft the baby eater every year.
Greatness like Him can only be drafted once.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
People keep forgetting how huge an upgrade Cedric Thornton is over Nick Hayden. Scandrick is another upgrade, and Collins will add sorely needed depth.

I think guys like Russell, Irving, and Tapper need reps and losing Gregory and his non-existent production gives these guys those opportunities. I'm actually excited to see them play, unlike Gregory.

Lawrence is a major loss, so Crawford has to show us why we paid all that money and step up.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
People keep forgetting how huge an upgrade Cedric Thornton is over Nick Hayden. Scandrick is another upgrade, and Collins will add sorely needed depth.

I think guys like Russell, Irving, and Tapper need reps and losing Gregory and his non-existent production gives these guys those opportunities. I'm actually excited to see them play, unlike Gregory.

Lawrence is a major loss, so Crawford has to show us why we paid all that money and step up.
Of course Thornton will help. But I am not convinced we have done enough to upgrade the interior rush in the clear and obvious absence of the perimeter rush.

In other words, not impressed with Crawford and Collins is probably going to have a wasted rookie season thanks to his broken foot.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Of course Thornton will help. But I am not convinced we have done enough to upgrade the interior rush in the clear and obvious absence of the perimeter rush.

In other words, not impressed with Crawford and Collins is probably going to have a wasted rookie season thanks to his broken foot.
It helps but RE is where the pass rush comes from and without Gregory I don't know who will provide it.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The pass rush is not going to be good, that's all there is to it. The question is whether or not it can be good enough to win 10+ games with what should be a dominant offense, I think it can be.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Consistent end pressure is a side effect of quality interior play. I'm convinced of this. Even Von Miller needs help.

I never believed in Gregory and was proven right with the guy's 0-impact rookie year. I can't believe how people still cling to his pre season performance from last year imagining he was this great stud. When the bright lights turned on he sucked. Bad. We took a shot and whiffed.

His absence gives guys like Russell, Tapper, and Irving a chance to develop. At least Irving had half a sack-- and I'm sure people can't wait to say it was because 0-stat Gregory softened up the opposition.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I like Irving alot, I think he'll play a big role and may even start at DE. He has great size, length and showed some power/explosiveness last year in limited reps. If he isn't a lazy fuck and actually takes to coaching I think he could have a big impact.

He has a higher ceiling than a guy like George Selvie who played huge snaps for us in 2014.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I like Irving alot, I think he'll play a big role and may even start at DE. He has great size, length and showed some power/explosiveness last year in limited reps. If he isn't a lazy fuck and actually takes to coaching I think he could have a big impact.

He has a higher ceiling than a guy like George Selvie who played huge snaps for us in 2014.
I agree, and I think I even said so in another thread. I think Irving breaks out this year in a big way.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I like Irving, but I'm guessing he's a big letdown this year.
There's clearly a reason his previous coaches let him leave.

He's probably not going to develop into a building block kind of player, but I believe he'll become strong in a rotation.

We need waves of young players at DE playing with a lead which gives them a much simpler set of responsibilities.

When Lawrence returns I believe we become a lot better still.

Again, we haven't had the kind of stout yet disciplined player Thornton is on our team since the early 90's, and even then no one of his size. He will make everyone better.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree, and I think I even said so in another thread. I think Irving breaks out this year in a big way.
I'm going to go with Ryan Russell as my breakout DE then. I really liked what I saw of him in camp last year in terms of physical ability. I think Marinelli was riding him hard intentionally because he sees a lot of talent in him.

But yeah I like Irving too. He showed some real flashes last year.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
We had 28 sacks in 2014 with Mincey leading the team with 6, if we can stay healthy I think the defense will be fine.

Top Bottom