TV Thread

Carp

DCC 4Life
I hope that one kid never gets teeth...he was awesome.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Stranger Things...
Still a few things I don't get. How or why was 11 special? Was the monster an alien or what? How did 11 kill the monster...loud screams?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Watching Stranger Things now. 4 episodes in, and it does have a Spielberg feel to it, with a little Stephen King mixed in.

junk

Not So New Member
I'm only a couple episodes in, but "The Night Of" on HBO is very good so far.

Jiggyfly

Banned
R.I.P. Miss Cleo, late-night TV psychic
By Katie Rife@futureschlock
Jul 26, 2016 1:42 PM

Cleo Harris, the TV and radio personality better known by her alter ego Miss Cleo, died earlier today in Palm Beach County, Florida, according to a report from TMZ. She had been battling colon cancer and was released to hospice care last week, according to her rep. She was 53.

Born Youree Dell Harris, she began her career as a stage actress before joining up with the Psychic Readers Network. That’s when she adopted the name “Miss Cleo” and a Jamaican accent for a series of late-night TV psychic infomercials that became a pop-culture talking point in the late ’90s, inspiring parodies on sketch-comedy programs like Chappelle’s Show:

In 2001, the parent company of Psychic Readers Network was named in a series of lawsuits brought by several U.S. states as well as the Federal Trade Commission. And in 2007, the FTC charged the company’s owners, as well as Harris’ promoters, with deceptive advertising, billing, and collection practices. Harris herself was not charged, although the investigation revealed that she was actually born in Los Angeles and that her Jamaican persona was just that—an act.

After she was exposed, though, Harris continued to revive the Miss Cleo character in a series of ads for the cable network Fusion, as well as local commercials and the like. She also used her signature Jamaican accent to play the character of Auntie Poulet in the video game Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.

Send your Newswire tips to tips@avclub.com

Jiggyfly

Banned
Finally got through Preacher and the Night Manager.

I liked Preacher, it was a bit of a mess but in all the right ways, I loved the batshit craziness of it and Ruth Negga is real easy to look at.

The Night Manager was disappointing, loved the acting but the writing and the plot let them down over and over.

There is no way Pine would have been given that much trust it kind of ruined everything else for me.

Debicki is also a major babe her and Negga should be getting a lot more work.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Vice Principals is basically like Eastbound and Down with Kenny Powers playing a VP.

dallen

Senior Tech
Vice Principals is basically like Eastbound and Down with Kenny Powers playing a VP.
Crap, I forgot about that show. How many episodes in are they? I was really looking forward to that

dallen

Senior Tech
Good thing I have HBO Go then :)

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I thought the same thing when I watched it and that's why I will continue to watch it.
Seriously though, it is the same character for all practical purposes.

junk

Not So New Member
Stranger Things...
Still a few things I don't get. How or why was 11 special? Was the monster an alien or what? How did 11 kill the monster...loud screams?
I thought they said that the government had given experimental drugs to her Mom. I assume her Mom was the one that Hopper went to visit whose sister said she lost the child in the first trimester. I'm not sure what the monster was, but my theory is that Will may turn into one based upon the last episode. I suppose 11 killed it in the same manner she killed all those people.

Overall good series. I wish they had developed Hopper's character a bit earlier so we knew his motivations earlier than the last episode.

The stuff about the curiosity door when that kid called his teacher about the sensory deprivation chamber was hilarious.

Also, I want Steve's reindeer sweater from the last episode.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Kingdom is now one of the best shows on TV. Shame that it is a Directv exclusive on Audience channel or some shit.

Cancelling this month. Hope it streams somewhere in the future.

Jonathan Tucker (bad guy as fast as Raylan on final season of Justified) is a revelation as an actor.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Stranger Things...
This show was so good. It's like they took everything I like and crammed it into a show.

I think a lot of this stuff they are setting up to be explained in the next season. I'm guessing there will be something going on with that hatched egg.

It was implied that Eleven had powers due to her mother having undergone the experiments while pregnant.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
I thought they said that the government had given experimental drugs to her Mom. I assume her Mom was the one that Hopper went to visit whose sister said she lost the child in the first trimester. I'm not sure what the monster was, but my theory is that Will may turn into one based upon the last episode. I suppose 11 killed it in the same manner she killed all those people.

Overall good series. I wish they had developed Hopper's character a bit earlier so we knew his motivations earlier than the last episode.

The stuff about the curiosity door when that kid called his teacher about the sensory deprivation chamber was hilarious.

Also, I want Steve's reindeer sweater from the last episode.
You timestamped me.

The ending with Will in the bathroom to me was a clear homage to the series finale of Twin Peaks. There are so many references to different things that are all put together so well that it still felt fresh.

You are right about the way it developed Hopper, but those flashback scenes still hit pretty damn hard.

Top Bottom