Final 53-man roster prediction for the Dallas Cowboys

Smitty

DCC 4Life
[h=2]Final roster cuts are almost here. Who makes the cut?[/h] by DannyPhantom@DannyPhantom24 Aug 31, 2017, 8:00am CDT

On Saturday, the Cowboys will have to trim their roster to 53 players. Over the last month we have been making all kinds of guesses as to how that final roster will look. With training camp completed, here is a final prediction for the Cowboys 53-man roster.
[h=3]QUARTERBACK - 3[/h]
With Jerry Jones spilling the beans that it is “very likely” that the Cowboys keep three quarterbacks, many fans shook their heads in anguish because it meant Kellen Moore will remain on the roster. And it’s not so much that there’s disdain for Moore (however, for some, that’s exactly it), but rather the simple fact that he’s going to occupy a roster spot that could be used on some other player we really like. What a waste.

Now, I’m not sure what Jerry is doing divulging roster decisions openly to the public so let’s not take it to the bank that this is happening, but it probably is. Jerry’s in the room when these discussions are happening so it’s not like he is just spouting off haphazardly.

2016 roster - 3 (Tony Romo, Dak Prescott, and Jameill Showers)

The Cowboys kept three quarterbacks last years, despite a red-hot preseason from Prescott and a very unimpressive Showers. Sound familiar? Maybe the team just likes to have a little extra insurance.

[h=3]RUNNING BACK - 5 spots[/h]
Note: This position group is configured based on Ezekiel Elliott not being suspended in 2017. Should it be upheld and Elliott does his time, there would be an extra roster spot temporarily available.
It may feel that the Cowboys are going long with five running backs. Do you really need an Alfred Morris if you got a Darren McFadden or vice versa? But what we’ve learned from preseason is that the Cowboys running game is a very crucial part of their success and they have a handful of guys that can make it hum. Why disrupt that? While people are always questioning the value of this guy vs. that guy, the real question is - why get rid of any of them? They’re good players and they cost next to nothing.

With this group in tact, the team won’t ever have to worry about their second-year quarterback handing off to a RB like Robert Turbin or Christine Michael. Every where you look there’s a 1,000 yard rusher and that’s a nice luxury to have.

2016 roster - 6 (Ezekiel Elliott, Alfred Morris, Lance Dunbar, Darius Jackson, Keith Smith, and Rod Smith)

The Cowboys even went longer last year so keeping some fresh legs available is something they value.

[h=3]WIDE RECEIVER - 5 spots[/h]
The concrete was poured early on this position group and all that training camp has done is allowed it to dry. Every one of these guys have an important role to the team. The rookie, Ryan Switzer, has been held out of practice after injuring his hamstring early in camp, so he’s a mystery prize we’ll all have to open a little later, but the rest of these guys have been ball’n.
Dez Bryant has been owning corners all camp, making them look like little boys in a big boys game. Cole Beasley has picked up right where he left off last year, establishing himself as one of the sauciest covers in the league. And now apparently, Brice Butler has started to established himself as a legit receiving target. Things will only get better when Switzer joins the party. I can’t wait to see what touchdown celebration he comes up with.
A case could be made to find room for Noah Brown, but the decision to keep Moore messes that up. Ultimately, the Cowboys just don’t have the room. What are they going to do with six receivers? It would be great to stash Brown in hopes of sliding him in if Butler plays well enough to price him out of Dallas next season. Unfortunately, they are going to have to test their luck hoping him makes it through waivers for the practice squad.

2016 roster - 5 (Dez Bryant, Terrance Williams, Cole Beasley, Lucky Whitehead, and Brice Butler)

With the departure of Lucky Whitehead, the only real question that hasn’t been answered is - who’s going to be running back kickoffs? Lance Lenior handled a great majority of the responsibilities during the preseason, but he won’t be sticking around. The punt returners are covered with the slot machines in Switzer and Beasley, but no real definitive KO returner has been established. McFadden, maybe?

[h=3]TIGHT END - 4 Spots[/h]
The Cowboys drafted Rico Gathers and stashed him on the practice squad last season in hopes that he would eventually work himself onto the roster. It looks like their plan is coming to fruition as Gathers has flashed some great pass catching ability this preseason. His concussion has slowed things down for him, but there is no doubt he’s making the team this season.

The 35-year old Jason Witten looks so rejuvenated that he is starting to resemble the awesome 34-year old tight end we all remember from back in the day. I’m sure one of these days he’ll lose a step, but it probably won’t be in our lifetime.

James Hanna and Geoff Swaim are both healthy and doing what they do best - block. Last year, the Cowboys had neither of them and Zeke still ran for over 1,600 yards. Now, they have them both.

2016 roster - 3 (Jason Witten, Gavin Escobar, Geoff Swaim)

The Cowboys would have rolled with four TEs last year had Hanna not gotten hurt. And after Swaim was injured, they had to pull resources from the offensive line to supplement their extra blocking.

[h=3]OFFENSIVE LINE - 8 spots[/h]
There are still a lot of questions when it comes to the Cowboys offensive line. That is to be expected when the team has to replace two starters (Doug Free and Ron Leary). The good news is that La’el Collins has been playing well at right tackle. The so-so news is that Jonathan Cooper has been playing pretty well at left guard. The not-so-good news is that Chaz Green can’t stay healthy. And the bad news is that the depth behind them is a little shaky

Byron Bell is a guy the team could hang on to if they want to continue to evaluate this group.

2016 roster - 8 (Tyron Smith, Zack Martin, Travis Frederick, Ron Leary, Doug Free, La’el Collins, Chaz Green, and Joe Looney)

The Cowboys only kept eight last season, but they were a pretty solid eight.

[h=3]DEFENSIVE END - 7 spots[/h]
The Cowboys will start the season with David Irving and Damontre Moore suspended. Irving (PED) will miss for games and Moore (DUI) will only miss two. While four players are listed as starters here, the Cowboys use a frequent rotation that it’s hard to separate individuals into definitive spots. The team has a very deep group and if you asked 10 people to rank these guys, you’d get 10 different lists. But one thing most everyone can agree on - all seven of these guys will make the team.

With two guys starting the season suspended, they’ll only have to divvy up playing time for five guys, but the challenge comes later when they return. It will be interesting to see how the DE group looks once those guys come back.

2016 roster - 4 (David Irving, Benson Mayowa, Jack Crawford, and Charles Tapper)

Randy Gregory and DeMarcus Lawrence started the season suspended and Charles Tapper season ended before it had a chance to get started as the team put him on IR (back injury - pars defect) a month into the season.

[h=3]DEFENSIVE TACKLE - 4 spots[/h]
The Cowboys have completely remodeled their defensive tackle position group as none of these guys were on the team two years ago. The emergence of rising star Maliek Collins has given the team a bona fide inside presence. The team is still trying to find a good 1-tech, but Stephen Paea has been impressive in training camp. Let’s just hope the swelling in his knee doesn’t hinder his season.
Lewis Neal makes the team because of the extra spots vacant from injury/suspension. The Cowboys have edge rushers that can move inside so unless he demonstrates a reason to keep him around, his stay could end after four weeks when the team gets Irving back.

2016 roster - 4 (Tyrone Crawford, Terrell McClain, Cedric Thornton, and Maliek Collins)

Terrell McClain stayed healthy and put together a strong season, but left for more money from the Washington Redskins. Cedric Thornton didn’t live up to expectations when the team signed him in free agency last year, but is hoping to rebound.

[h=3]LINEBACKER - 7 spots[/h]
It seems like the Cowboys endure a preseason hardship every season at the linebacker position. In 2014, they lost Sean Lee for the season when he hurt his knee in OTAs. In 2015 and 2016, they lost Rolando McClain due to failed drug test suspensions. And this season, Anthony Hitchens suffered a leg injury that will sideline him for 8-10 weeks.

But hey, Lee is healthy and that’s what really matters, right? And then there’s that Jaylon Smith fella. He’ll be a star one day, but the team is still gradually getting him acclimated to football action. He won’t be taking on a major role this season. If Damien Wilson and Justin Durant remain available, the Cowboys should still be in good shape.

If Hitchens starts the season on IR, then another roster spot becomes available. The Cowboys will need to use it for the linebacker position to sustain depth. The final LB spot should come down to Mark Nzeocha and Joseph Jones. Many have penciled Nzeocha in for that spot due to his value on special teams, but as The Cool One pointed out recently, Joseph Jones has been active in ST as well. He gets the nod.
2016 roster - 7 (Sean Lee, Anthony Hitchens, Justin Durant, Damien Wilson, Kyle Wilber, Andrew Gachkar, and Mark Nzeocha)

Last season Jaylon Smith was on the Reserve/Non-Football Injury list and Rolando McClain was on the Reserve/Did Not Report list. Just like they’ll do this year, the Cowboys will round out this group while providing Rich Bisaccia some good tools to work with.

[h=3]CORNERBACK - 6 spots[/h]
The Cowboys borrow a roster spot from one of the suspended guys to rent the services of Marquez White for a couple weeks. This spot might have gone to Duke Thomas who was showing out in preseason games, but he suffered a high ankle sprain in Saturday’s contest against the Oakland Raiders. The team was already dealing with injuries to their rookie corners, Chidobe Awuzie and Jourdan Lewis.

Keeping White around a little longer will provide them some depth while the rookies are recovering. He could be a roster cut casualty when Damontre Moore returns from his suspension if the team feels they are healthy at the cornerback position.

2016 roster - 5 (Orlando Scandrick, Brandon Carr, Morris Claiborne, Anthony Brown, and Dax Swanson)

Every year the Cowboys have some dark horse snag that last CB spot. Last season it was Dax Swanson who jumped ahead of Ayodeji Olatoye after Olatoye kept getting shredded in the Cowboys final preseason game. Swanson would get cut a few days later and Olatoye would eventually sign with the Atlanta Falcons and play in the Super Bowl last season. He was personally responsible for the Falcons fourth quarter collapse (not really).

[h=3]SAFETY - 4 spots[/h]
The Cowboys typically carry five safeties, but they just don’t have a fifth on worth keeping. Robert Blanton was signed in free agency, but hasn’t done anything in camp. He looks very pedestrian going against third-team competition. No thanks.

Instead the team will look to their cornerback pool to grab their last defensive back. The big question is can Jeff Heath step in and be a viable safety replacing the departed Barry Church?

2016 roster - 5 (Barry Church, Byron Jones, J.J. Wilcox, Jeff Heath, and Kavon Frazier)

J.J. Wilcox and Jeff Heath had good seasons last year in reserve roles. Kavon Frazier played limited snaps and was primarily a special teams player.

[h=3]SPECIAL TEAMS - 3 spots[/h]
These guys are great. They are worthy of our appreciation. Make sure you send them a Christmas card in the mail.

2016 roster - 3 (Dan Bailey, Chris Jones, L.P. Ladouceur)

If it’s not broke, don’t fix it.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So that's actually 56 players. I assume the three asterisked players are the ones who are holding spots for the 2 suspended players (Moore and Irving) and the injured Hitchens.

Those three players are Lewis Neal, Joseph Jones and Marquez White, so those are the guys who get cut when Moore, then Irving, then Hitchens return. So I'd assume Neal cut week 3, White cut week 5, Jones cut week 8-9 when Hitchens returns.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
This is mostly what I'd do too. Some minor changes:

1) I'd probably keep Bell instead of Cleary, but really I'd be looking at the waiver wire for an 8th OL and keep neither Bell nor Cleary.

2) I'd keep Noah Brown instead of Rod Smith or Kellen Moore. The team won't move on from Moore clearly. But Rod Smith only needs to be around until the Elliott thing is resolved; if Elliott is suspended, that opens up another roster spot anyway. Smith can have that spot until Elliott comes back. When he comes back, I keep Brown over Rod Smith.

I have no particular affinity for DaMontre Moore or Benson Mayowa either. I feel like once Irving is back I don't need all those DE's. Though I also see Tyrone Crawford as a DT, so right there I'm down to 6 DEs instead of the 7 listed. Cutting Moore or Mayowa brings me to 5, which is still a very reasonable number of DEs.

midswat

... soon
There's names on that list I've never even heard of before.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Banned.

midswat

... soon
Mostly Joseph Jones.

But a few of them I had to pause and think for a second.

I feel like now would be a good time to remind you all that I stopped being that much of a fan since Garrett is still the "coach." Shout out to Nodak.

marsbennett

Brand New Member
Not thrilled with the Oline depth. It feels like it did not progress. Cleary...Idk. Rico to IR maybe? I like our young Db's.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not thrilled with the Oline depth. It feels like it did not progress. Cleary...Idk. Rico to IR maybe? I like our young Db's.
I don't really see the reason for White. I'd just put him on the practice squad. I don't think he has done anything to make me feel like he is any better than some of the UDFA corners we brought in. The only argument against it would be that it may be light on DBs to only keep 9 players back there (Sort of bare minimum at safety and bare minimum at corner).

Lewis Neal isn't really that necessary either but with the extra suspensions on the D-line it might be good to have extra hands on deck until week 4.

As far as Rico is concerned I'd keep him on the roster. We need him practicing and continuing to improve. Maybe by the second half of the season we can start to use him on offense as a real weapon. If you IR him he just sits around and does nothing for half the season. I hate that thought.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Mostly Joseph Jones.

But a few of them I had to pause and think for a second.

I feel like now would be a good time to remind you all that I stopped being that much of a fan since Garrett is still the "coach." Shout out to Nodak.
I wasn't sure about him either...is that Lenny Jones #56? He did make a few nice plays early in preseason.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Well I guess that answers that.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Good.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I'm ok with that. I think Noah has flashed at times. I think there is some real upside to him as a player. And frankly cuts are coming shortly so I don't think there is any harm is saying if the guy will make the roster or not. But I also wouldn't lose any sleep over Noah if he didn't make the roster. I don't think he will be playing much if at all this season. And down the road I would still want to probably draft a real stud WR.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wasn't sure about him either...is that Lenny Jones #56? He did make a few nice plays early in preseason.
Lenny Jones is a DE. Joseph Jones is a LBer out of Northwestern. I honestly didn't pay any attention to him during preseason and he didn't make any splash plays that stick out to me.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I like Brown and am glad he made it.... pending who is cut instead of him.

Brown is right on the bubble just because of the position depth we need at other spots. If we cut Rod Smith for him, ok. If we cut Kavon Frazier for him, not so good.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like Brown and am glad he made it.... pending who is cut instead of him.

Brown is right on the bubble just because of the position depth we need at other spots. If we cut Rod Smith for him, ok. If we cut Kavon Frazier for him, not so good.
Frazier earned a roster spot in my opinion. Blanton is the safety that I would cut. I know he is a special teams ace and all but he is basically a nobody on defense and you can't tell me that Frazier and Woods wouldn't be pretty good on special teams.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Frazier earned a roster spot in my opinion. Blanton is the safety that I would cut. I know he is a special teams ace and all but he is basically a nobody on defense and you can't tell me that Frazier and Woods wouldn't be pretty good on special teams.
I agree, but I'm saying, look at that chart on the first page. That's 56 guys.... cause it's got bodies in there to fill the Moore and Irving suspensions, and Hitchens to IR/recall.

And Brown is still not on it. The three guys who are the first out when the suspensions/IR end are marked to be Lewis Neal, Marquez White, and Joseph Jones.

So if Brown is making it, who is out? We are gonna have to not keep 3 QBs, 5 RBs, 6 LBs, or 7 DEs you'd think. You can't cut into the 5 permananent corners any further. Are you gonna cut a safety? Blanton is already not on the list so that means you'd be cutting Heath, Frazier, or Woods to keep Noah Brown.

I'd say DE, but we already argued about the likelyhood that a guy like Mayowa gets cut. Is it Moore instead? I still don't think they cut Tapper.

I'd say QB, but Rush has already been declared to have made the team and I can't see Linehan parting with Kellen Moore.

I'd say RB, but I'm gonna hate if they cut Morris. I'd rather it be Smith.

That list already has just 8 OL, too. Can't go with only 7, can you?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree, but I'm saying, look at that chart on the first page. That's 56 guys.... cause it's got bodies in there to fill the Moore and Irving suspensions, and Hitchens to IR/recall.

And Brown is still not on it. The three guys who are the first out when the suspensions/IR end are marked to be Lewis Neal, Marquez White, and Joseph Jones.

So if Brown is making it, who is out? We are gonna have to not keep 3 QBs, 5 RBs, 6 LBs, or 7 DEs you'd think. You can't cut into the 5 permananent corners any further. Are you gonna cut a safety? Blanton is already not on the list so that means you'd be cutting Heath, Frazier, or Woods to keep Noah Brown.

I'd say DE, but we already argued about the likelyhood that a guy like Mayowa gets cut. Is it Moore instead? I still don't think they cut Tapper.

I'd say QB, but Rush has already been declared to have made the team and I can't see Linehan parting with Kellen Moore.

I'd say RB, but I'm gonna hate if they cut Morris. I'd rather it be Smith.

That list already has just 8 OL, too. Can't go with only 7, can you?
7 DE's is crazy. You only have 2 starting DE's and you're going to keep 7 guys? It's simple to me. You get rid of Lewis Neal, move Crawford to DT on the graphic and suddenly you have a reasonable amount of DEs and still have the 4 DTs that you should have. Moore is suspended so I don't worry about him until the suspension is up. Injuries may happen by then. Same goes for Irving. I'll worry about those roster spots when those guys come off suspension.

Top Bottom