Training Camp Thread...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys head to camp with potent offense, questions on defense

11:37 AM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

The Dallas Cowboys open training camp on July 30 at the River Ridge Residence Inn in Oxnard, California. Here’s a closer look at the Cowboys’ camp, which wraps up on Aug. 18:

Top storyline: The returns to health of Tony Romo and Dez Bryant are at the top of the priority list. If they are good to go then the Cowboys will be good to go. But can the defense hold up its end? They will be without DeMarcus Lawrence, who led the team in sacks last season with eight and Randy Gregory, a projected starter and one of their best pass rushers, for the first four games because of suspension. They will also be without starting linebacker Rolando McClain for the first 10 games because of suspension. Coordinator Rod Marinelli will have to scrape it all together early, but his job will be made a little easier if the offense can score a lot of points and hold on to the ball. Coming out of training camp in 2014 there were similar gloomy thoughts about the defense and they were able to hold up well enough for a 12-4 finish.

If Romo stays healthy … the Cowboys will make the playoffs. He is operating the offense at a high level, and the unit has a chance to be devastating with its ability to run the ball and pass. Romo believes he is playing the best football of his career. If he is on the field, he will prove it.

Player who will have fans buzzing: In most cases, this would be Ezekiel Elliott, the Cowboys’ first-round pick, but the return of Bryant could be breathtaking. He is itching to go after being limited to nine games last year because of a broken right foot. Bryant undoubtedly will make some plays in camp that will make teams shake their heads at his athleticism.

Position battle worth watching: Brandon Carr remained a Cowboy thanks to a big pay cut. Morris Claiborne re-signed with the team on a one-year deal. In 2012, they joined the Cowboys in hopes of securing the cornerback spots for years to come. This year they could be fighting for the same starting spot. Carr has started every game of his career. Claiborne had a good offseason but has yet to stay healthy for a full season.

That rookie should start: The only answer at the start of camp is Elliott. Second-round pick Jaylon Smith is not expected to play this year because of a serious knee injury. Third-round pick Maliek Collins missed all but one organized team activity with a broken foot. Fourth-rounder Charles Tapper could win a job along the defensive line, but it’s too soon to say he should start.

Veteran whose job is in jeopardy: J.J. Wilcox has been a starting safety for most of the last three seasons, but he is coming off a poor 2015 season in which he had just one interception and missed far too many tackles. With Byron Jones moving to safety full time and Barry Church more reliable, Wilcox’s $1.8 million cap figure might be too much for the Cowboys.

Don’t trade him: There could be temptation on the Cowboys’ part to deal guard Ronald Leary for some potential defensive help. Leary is a starting-caliber player but does not have a starting spot on the line. Keeping Leary to push La'el Collins is the smarter play. If they deal him then their depth takes a hit.

On the lookout: The Cowboys will be active over the summer in finding pass-rushing help. Having an early slot in the waiver process will help as well. In 2013, they added George Selvie during camp and he finished with seven sacks that year. In 2014, they added Jack Crawford, who is a valuable part of the rotation. Last year, they added David Irving, who could be a starter this year.

What fans will be saying after camp: Elliott will be the offensive rookie of the year. Some might be saying this before camp, but the real evidence will come when he is in pads and on the field in Oxnard and in the first four preseason games. He has a chance to put up big numbers on the ground and as a pass catcher.

For daily updates at camp, check out the Dallas Cowboys clubhouse page.

Cotton

Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's pretty simple, with a healthy Romo and Dez our offense should be studly. Terrance Williams is an excellent number 2 WR. Beasley is great from the slot. We have the best offensive line in football. We have one of the best TE's in football. And now we should have a franchise RB for at least a few years. Prior to injuries our offense shows basically no weakness in my opinion. Of course an injury to Romo and that all falls apart.

Defense is going to have to be more of a Marinelli special like 2014. A year where everyone thought the defense was going to be worse then the worst in the NFL and ended up middle of the pack based almost entirely off hustle. Of course after the first 4 games I think the D-line could really surprise some people and be damn good. But for those first 4 it's going to be a mash unit.

dallen

Senior Tech
It's pretty simple, with a healthy Romo and Dez our offense should be studly. Terrance Williams is an excellent number 2 WR. Beasley is great from the slot. We have the best offensive line in football. We have one of the best TE's in football. And now we should have a franchise RB for at least a few years. Prior to injuries our offense shows basically no weakness in my opinion. Of course an injury to Romo and that all falls apart.

Defense is going to have to be more of a Marinelli special like 2014. A year where everyone thought the defense was going to be worse then the worst in the NFL and ended up middle of the pack based almost entirely off hustle. Of course after the first 4 games I think the D-line could really surprise some people and be damn good. But for those first 4 it's going to be a mash unit.
Assuming Romo stays healthy, if we have even an average defense we should be very good this year.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Assuming Romo stays healthy, if we have even an average defense we should be very good this year.
Just imagine if there was a half-competent backup QB on the roster.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Just imagine if there was a half-competent backup QB on the roster.
Things change fast in the NFL. The depth is so bad that any decent veteran backup can now pull the same crap Orton did and leave for a starting job elsewhere.

Basically teams have to burn a draft pick on their backup QB's now and roll the dice that they can carry the team in a pinch.

Does anyone really think Dak Prescott is our eventual starter?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Things change fast in the NFL. The depth is so bad that any decent veteran backup can now pull the same crap Orton did and leave for a starting job elsewhere.

Basically teams have to burn a draft pick on their backup QB's now and roll the dice that they can carry the team in a pinch.

Does anyone really think Dak Prescott is our eventual starter?
Not yet.

Cotton

Staff member

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Who would have thought that she would have a cat?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Thanks booze.

I shut off the radio, usher folks out of my office, and pull the cord on the phone when a Kristy video shows up.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
If you don't get raging wood as she signs off, I question whether you bleed blue & silver.

Cotton

Staff member
If you don't get raging wood as she signs off, I question whether you bleed blue & silver.
:lol

It was the wink, wasn't it? Either that or the one finger salute.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
:lol

It was the wink, wasn't it? Either that or the one finger salute.
She's the total package, and I don't even care that she doesn't have her facts straight.

Top Bottom