Joe Haden would make sense for Cowboys if everything checks out

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joe Haden would make sense for Cowboys if everything checks out
10:51 AM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys have some interest in free-agent cornerback Joe Haden, but if they truly make a big effort to sign him it will come down to money and health.

Haden, who was released by the Cleveland Browns on Wednesday, has played in just 18 games the past two seasons because of injuries and has played a 16-game season just once in his career, as a rookie in 2010. He made three interceptions last season, which would have led the Cowboys, and has 19 for his career.

Unlike other names often attached to the Cowboys, such as 32-year-old Darrelle Revis, Haden's age is a bonus. The Cowboys will not pay age, which always ruled out Revis. Haden, however, is 28 and his new team would get a player desperate to show he can still play at a high level.

He was set to make $11.1 million from the Browns this season and reportedly refused to take a pay cut, which played a part in his release.

The Cowboys have the need and the salary-cap space to make a run at recently released cornerback Joe Haden. Frank Jansky/Icon Sportswire
This seems like the perfect reason why the Cowboys, to steal a Jerry Jones term, kept their powder dry during free agency. Their biggest signing was cornerback Nolan Carroll, who received a $3 million signing bonus.

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones has said countless times over the past few years that the price of doing business in free agency does not match up with the production generally received from the signee. The better way to build a team is through the draft.

But Jones has always been a "never say never" guy as well.

First, the Cowboys have to determine whether Haden can play at a high level, or at least higher than some of the cornerbacks they have on the roster. That analysis includes his injury history.

Orlando Scandrick is looking like he did in 2014. Carroll has been inconsistent. Anthony Brown could become a starter but is likely the Cowboys' third corner at the moment. Second- and third-round picks Chidobe Awuzie and Jourdan Lewis have been slowed by hamstring strains, although Awuzie could play Thursday against the Houston Texans.

Second, the Cowboys have to determine the price. Haden won't come cheap and will have a number of suitors, which will up the ante. The Cowboys have the cap room needed to make a move. According to ESPN Stats & Information, they have $16.047 million in room.

That doesn't factor in upcoming injury settlements, practice squad signings and potential extensions for other players, like Zack Martin, so make sure your eyes don't bug out over the $16 million.

Can the Cowboys get a deal done financially with Haden? Absolutely. But it will be on their terms.

Shit we have even more cap room than I thought. Of course it would be nice to carry some of that over into next offseason since we pushed some of Romo's money into next year.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Let's do it, Jerral.

This is how I like my CBs..... acquired without prime draft resources or FA market price wars. This bidding war will not even come close to the max deal he would have gotten in March. Expensive still, yes, but that's the cost of doing business to get good players.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Let's do it, Jerral.

This is how I like my CBs..... acquired without prime draft resources or FA market price wars. This bidding war will not even come close to the max deal he would have gotten in March. Expensive still, yes, but that's the cost of doing business to get good players.
Plus he is only 28 years old. He could easily play on a high level for the next 3 years.

midswat

... soon
He'll probably be rejuvenated just getting out of Cleveland. I'd like the move.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
I would definitely explore the possibility. I fully expected everyone here to be against the idea and even Schmitty's on board.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me

:lol

Oh yeah, this is Deion '95 all over again

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Bleacher Report says he's signing with Steelers, 3 years, $27 million.

Not a horrible deal, I might have done 2 years for that per year average.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Bleacher Report says he's signing with Steelers, 3 years, $27 million.

Not a horrible deal, I might have done 2 years for that per year average.
That's way too much. Jesus.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would have liked Hayden but 9 mil per year was probably a little rich for my taste. Although 3 years seems about perfect. Curious to know how much of that is guaranteed. I'm sure the Steelers protected themselves in case he sucks out load this year.

My hope for next year and beyond is a secondary of Brown, Awuzie and Lewis anyway. I think Brown and Awuzie on the outside with Lewis in the slot is a perfect top 3 corners.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Good defenders cost real money. You don't get quality for nothing. Pittsburgh knows first hand how good Haden is.

data

Forbes #1
Steelers get stronger and weaken a division rival. Browns in jeopardy of not winning division.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
$9M per isn't exactly top 10 CB money, it probably falls somewhere in the top 25 and for a CB in his late twenties, it sounds about right. I agree with pdom that this benefits the Steelers and hurts Cleveland. I can't stand to see a good player go to a division rival so imagine some Browns fans are pissed.

22cowboysfan22

Brand New Member
Joe Haden has been pretty awful the last couple years and has been completely terrible this preseason. Definitely not worth 9 mil per year.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Joe Haden has been pretty awful the last couple years and has been completely terrible this preseason. Definitely not worth 9 mil per year.
Completely agree. He has been shit for the last two years. He doesn't deserve $9m/year. Let the Steelers have him.

midswat

... soon

He is so pathetic.

p1_

DCC 4Life
dodged a bullet there.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Well, now we know why he signed with the Steelers with the quickness.

Some fat fuck was tweet-harassing him.

Top Bottom