Machota: Where does Cowboys defensive line rank among NFC East teams?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Where does Cowboys defensive line rank among NFC East teams?

By Jon Machota , Staff Writer

I broke down the four NFC East teams last month, ranking each by position group. The Cowboys were first at offensive line, first at running back, second at quarterback and second at wide receiver/tight end.

The rankings won't be as kind to the Cowboys on the defensive side of the ball.

Today we begin with the defensive lines.

Here's how I currently rank the four teams.

1.) Philadelphia Eagles. The move from a 3-4 to a 4-3 defensive front doesn't change my opinion too much, but I think a unit that was already good could be even better under new defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz. Fletcher Cox is the best defensive lineman in the division and his supporting cast is very good. Defensive ends Connor Barwin, Brandon Graham, Vinny Curry and Marcus Smith can all get after the quarterback. Barwin and Graham combined for 13.5 sacks last season. Cox, who was ranked No. 49 on the NFL Network's Top 100 Players list, had nine. Bennie Logan will be the team's other starting defensive tackle. He has started 30 games over the last two seasons. The one criticism of this group is that there doesn't appear to be great depth.

2.) New York Giants. The offseason additions up front were significant. Olivier Vernon and Damon Harrison should improve this group significantly. Vernon, who had 25.5 sacks over the last three seasons with the Dolphins, signed a five-year, $85 million deal with the Giants in March. Many believe Vernon was overpaid. Either way, he makes New York's defensive line better. Harrison's five-year deal was for $46.5 million. The 2012 undrafted rookie free agent started every game over the last three seasons for the Jets. The Giants' other defensive tackle, Johnathan Hankins, is a year removed from a seven-sack season. If New York can get quality production out of defensive ends Owa Odighizuwa and Jason Pierre-Paul, their line should go from a weakness to strength. NFL.com's Gregg Rosenthal recently ranked the Giants's defensive line fourth among the entire league. Philadelphia was sixth.

3.) Washington Redskins. It's difficult to accurately compare a 4-3 defensive line to a 3-4 like the Redskins, but I'm going to include some of their pass-rushing linebackers to even things out. So throwing OLBs Ryan Kerrigan and Preston Smith into the mix obviously helps this group. Kerrigan had 9.5 sacks in 2015 and 13.5 in 2014. Smith, a second-round pick, led all rookies with eight sacks. Chris Baker and Trent Murphy are Washington's most notable defensive ends. They both played in all 16 games, combining for 9.5 sacks in 2015. The nose tackle spot will likely come down to Kedric Golston and Ricky Jean Francois. Washington was the worst team in the division last year when it came to stopping the run, but their ability to get to the QB gives them a slight edge over the Cowboys.

4.) Dallas Cowboys. There is too much uncertainty to rank the Cowboys above any of the other defensive lines in the division. If DeMarcus Lawrence and Randy Gregory weren't facing four-game suspensions to start the season it would be a little different. A front-four of Lawrence, Gregory, Tyrone Crawford and Cedric Thornton looks pretty good on paper. But how long will it take that group to get on the field together and hit on all cylinders? The depth up front is made up of Jack Crawford, Terrell McClain, Benson Mayowa, David Irving, Ryan Russell, Charles Tapper and Maliek Collins. They'll be asked to play key roles starting Week 1, but will they be able to provide enough pressure? Another concern is that the Cowboys didn't make any significant upgrades in the draft or free agency. Say what you will about Greg Hardy off the field, but he led the team with 32 QB pressures and was second with six sacks in 2015. His presence on the field also commanded valuable double teams that helped Lawrence record a team-high eight sacks. Who will step up and replace that production? There are just too many questions at this time to rank the Cowboys any higher.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I don't know, but I'll say this: I think the eagles defensive line is overrated.

Cox is very good, Logan is good. The ends are underwhelming. Barwin is out of place as a 4-3 DE, Graham is mediocre, and Curry is decent at best.

That line was better off as a 3-4 line.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't know, but I'll say this: I think the eagles defensive line is overrated.

Cox is very good, Logan is good. The ends are underwhelming. Barwin is out of place as a 4-3 DE, Graham is mediocre, and Curry is decent at best.

That line was better off as a 3-4 line.
Agreed.

Cox is one of the best interior DL in the league so that's always something you have to concern yourself with but their DE's in particular are very overrated. Graham is always right around 5-6 sacks a year, Barwin is 30 and has a double digit sack season every few years, sandwiched by seasons of about 5-6 sacks and Curry had 9 sacks in 2014 but that is sandwiched by 2 seasons with under 5 sacks.

It seems that the primary argument for people who think that the Eagles have a great DL is that their DE's are better suited for a 4-3 and will produce more sacks than they would as 3-4 OLB's, but that is a complete unknown.

All I know is that even if their DL's pure sack numbers look good this year because of the Wide-9 bullshit that Schwartz runs, their run defense will be just as bad because of the natural gaps that the scheme opens up in your defense.

Further, Buffalo had arguably the best 4-3 DL in all of football when Schwartz joined them in 2014 and contrary to what the media/Eagle fans will have you believe, most of those players were already great before Schwartz got there. Jerry Hughes broke out in 2013 with 10 sacks, Dareus, Mario Williams and Kyle Williams were already established Pro Bowlers before Schwartz got there, and the only reason their defense dropped off last year was because Ryan was forcing squares into round holes.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This fucking guy said that Marcus Smith can really get after the QB. The guy with a full 1.5 sacks in his first 2 years.

Marcus Smith.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This fucking guy said that Marcus Smith can really get after the QB. The guy with a full 1.5 sacks in his first 2 years.

Marcus Smith.
:lol

I guess three years later he is still going off the guys college scouting report.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Marcus Smith.
Even Eagles fans have very little hope for Smith and consider him a bust.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Marcus Smith.
:lol

Jiggyfly

Banned
I still can's understand how Vernon got so much money, 25.5 sacks over 3 years is nothing great where is all the hype coming from?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I still can's understand how Vernon got so much money, 25.5 sacks over 3 years is nothing great where is all the hype coming from?
He gets more pressure than his stats indicate but he definitely isn't top 5 DL money good. The guy got more guaranteed than JJ Watt, that's a joke considering Watt is on track to possibly being the GOAT. He's also not on the level of a guy like Justin Houston either.

But that's what happens, you pay a premium in free agency, he's a good player that got paid like an elite player.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I never really understood that either. And while Damon Harrison is a good NT type, I'm not sure he really brings all that much to a 4-3 defense. And then they are basically counting on a one armed JPP to be their stud pass rusher. Something he has only been in 2 of his 6 years in the league.

Maybe I'm being judgmental but I don't see that Giants defensive line as some sort of massive strength.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
So signing a bunch of high priced free agents isn't the recipe for a Super Bowl?

Interesting.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I can't disagree with this overall assessment.

I do think the signing of Thornton will help Dallas much more than the mainstream media realizes. He turns what was the biggest weakness on the team into a strength. It will make the entire defense better.

Top Bottom