DMN: From Aikman to Goodrich - The best and worst Dallas draft picks of the Jones era

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
From Troy Aikman to Dwayne Goodrich: The best and worst Cowboys draft picks of the Jerry Jones era
By SportsDayDFW.com

With another draft on the horizon, we take this opportunity to look back on the five best and five worst Cowboys draft piicks during the ownership of Jerry Jones.

Top of the Class

1. Troy Aikman
Draft: 1989, first round, first overall
Position: Quarterback
The first player the Cowboys selected under the ownership of Jerry Jones became the most successful quarterback in franchise history. Aikman wasn’t the most mobile or the most accurate quarterback, but he was at his best in big games. The team captured three Super Bowl titles during his leadership and he was named the MVP of Super Bowl XXVII. He compiled an 11-4 postseason record for his career. The Cowboys were not a good team upon Aikman’s arrival but he, along with Michael Irvin and Emmitt Smith, quickly turned the franchise’s fortunes around. After a rugged rookie season which saw him lose all of his 11 starts, Aikman was 94-60 for the remainder of his regular season career. He held or tied 47 club passing records at his retirement. Aikman is now the lead NFL analyst for Fox.

2. Emmitt Smith
Draft: 1990, first round, 17th overall
Position: Running back
No back has rushed for more yards in the history of the NFL. Given the changes in the game since Smith’s retirement, it’s a record that could stand the test of time. Smith finished his career with 18,355 yards on the ground and 164 touchdowns. He wasn’t the flashiest back of his generation, but he was far and away the most durable and consistent. Smith announced his arrival by being named the Rookie of the Year. He led the NFL in rushing four times, broke the 1,000 yard barrier in a season 11 times and was the league and Super Bowl MVP during the 1993 season. In addition to his accomplishments on the ground, Smith caught 515 passes for another 3,224 yards and 11 touchdowns in his career. Smith created a whole new fan base upon his retirement by winning Dancing With the Stars. He is now a successful businessman.

3. Larry Allen
Draft: 1994, second round, 46th overall
Position: Guard
Known as a man of few words until his Hall of Fame enshrinement speech in 2013, Allen revealed more about himself in 16 minutes that night than he did in 12 dominant years as an offensive lineman with the Cowboys. Allen’s speech, written with the help of his oldest daughter, Jayla Lee, had warmth and humor. At times, when he spoke of his family, it was poignant. He walked the fine line between pride and humility and pulled it off. Allen is the rare athlete who was named the All-Decade Team twice for the 1990s and 2000s. He made 11 trips to the Pro Bowl, more than any other offensive player in franchise history, and was an All-Pro seven times. The hulking lineman blocked for eight of the 11 seasons Emmitt Smith surpassed 1,000 yards rushing. He played every position but center during his Cowboys career and was named to the Pro Bowl as a tackle and a guard. Bruce Matthews and Chris Hinton are the only other players in NFL history to pull that off. In a sport known for brute strength, Allen is legendary. He was able to bench press 700 pounds and squat lift 900 pounds during his playing days.

4. Jason Witten
Draft: 2003, third round, 69th overall
Position: Tight end
Witten has made more Pro Bowl appearances (10) than any tight end in Cowboys history. Fitting, since only one tight end in NFL history has been more productive. Witten enters the 2016 season with 1,025 receptions for 11,215 yards. Tony Gonzalez is the only tight end who ranks ahead of him in both categories. Witten is the franchise leader in receptions and is second in receiving yards behind Michael Irvin. His 60 touchdown catches ranks him behind only Bob Hayes (71) and Michael Irvin (65) on the club’s all-time list. The 18 receptions Witten had in a game against the New York Giants in October of 2012 broke the league’s single-game record for a tight end. He is currently 10 in career receptions and could climb several spots this upcoming season. On top of all this, Witten is a willing blocker and remarkable durable. The tight end has missed only one game in his career and that was due to a broken jaw.

5. DeMarcus Ware
Draft: 2005, first round, 11th overall
Position: Outside linebacker/defensive end
Ware is now tormenting quarterbacks one mile above sea level but the impact he made with the Cowboys before the club allowed him to walk to Denver last year was significant. Few players have gotten to the quarterback more in their career than Ware. He had 117 sacks when he left the Cowboys, making him the franchise’s all-time leader. He recorded double-digit sacks in seven consecutive seasons, only the fifth person in NFL history to accomplish that feat. Ware has collected more than 19 sacks in a season twice. Mark Gastineau is the only other player who can make that claim. It took the Cowboys linebacker 113 games to reach the 100-sack plateau. Hall of Famer Reggie White (96 games) is the only player in league history to get there quicker. A Pro Bowl fixture before leaving for the Broncos, he made seven consecutive trips for Dallas, Ware reached double figures in sacks in seven of his nine seasons with the Cowboys.

Bottom of the Class

1. David LaFleur
Draft: 1997, first round, 22nd overall
Position: Tight end
Some very productive tight ends have played for the Cowboys through the years. David LaFleur was not among them. The Cowboys used their first round pick in the 1997 draft on LaFleur with the hope he would pick up where Jay Novacek left off. He was big, strong and a first team All-American at LSU. He had promise. It never materialized. LaFleur’s size proved to be a detriment as a receiver. He was more lumbering than elusive and never caught a pass that went for more than 25 yards during his NFL career. LaFleur’s four seasons with the Cowboys were the only four years he spent in the NFL. He finished with 85 receptions for 729 yards and 12 touchdowns. Despite starting 44 games, LaFleur gained more than 200 yards in a season only once.

2. Shante Carver
Draft: 1994, first round, 23rd overall
Position: Defensive end
Shante Carver was the first player the Cowboys took in the 1994 draft. The defensive end never had the impact the club envisioned, a point that was driven home every time the team looked at the second player they took in the ’94 draft: Larry Allen. Granted, the performance of most players pale in comparison next to Allen, but Carver was never much of a factor. He started 26 games in his four seasons with the Cowboys and managed just 11.5 sacks. He never forced a turnover or recovered a fumble. He also never played for another NFL team. Carver played for the Memphis Maniax of the XFL once his career with the Cowboys was over, then came back after that to play for the Dallas Desperados of the Arena Football League.

3. Bobby Carpenter
Draft: 2006, first round, 18th overall
Position: Linebacker
The Cowboys used their first pick of the 2005 draft on a linebacker and hit big with DeMarcus Ware. The club came back the next year and used their first pick on a linebacker and came up empty. Bobby Carpenter didn’t come close to fulfilling expectations. He started just three games in his four seasons with the Cowboys, never forced a fumble, never intercepted a pass and managed just 3.5 sacks. Carpenter was in on just 50 tackles during his first three seasons with the team, which led to his soft label.
So, why does Carpenter occupy this spot rather than being known as the worst pick of the Jones era? Carpenter actually did a decent job in his final season with the team in the Cowboys nickel packages. He was good in coverage, came up with two sacks and his 46 tackles was just four shy of what he did in his first three seasons combined. Here’s something else to consider: unlike other Cowboys draft picks who quickly disappeared from the NFL, Carpenter played for three other teams before disappearing from the league after the 2012 season.

4. Dwayne Goodrich
Draft: 2000, second round, 49th overall
Position: Cornerback
When a second round pick barely registers on the statistical dial, you know a team is in trouble. The Cowboys used their first pick in the 2000 draft, No. 49 overall, on cornerback Dwayne Goodrich. He managed to stay in the league just three seasons. His numbers: 16 games played and one start for the Cowboys. He never intercepted a pass, forced a fumble or recovered a fumble. He knocked down only one pass in his Cowboys career and finished with eight tackles. So, why does Goodrich come in at No. 4 on this list rather than challenge for one of the top spots? It's because he was a second round pick. The players that rank ahead of him on this list, or below of him, depending on your perspective, all went at least 26 picks sooner in the draft. Goodrich was the driver in a hit-and-run accident in '03 in which two good Samaritans were killed as they tried to help a man from a burning car. He spent eight years in prison for criminally negligent homicide and was released several years ago.

5. Morris Claiborne
Draft: 2012, first round, 6th overall
Position: Cornerback
The Cowboys traded their first and second round pick in the 2012 draft to move up eight spots and draft Claiborne. After four years Claiborne is yet to play in all 16 games of a season. He has missed a total of 24 games in his career, including 17 in the last two years alone. Claiborne was having somewhat of a bounceback year in 2015 after losing his starting job and playing in just four games in 2014, but injuries sidelined him again and he missed five of the team’s final seven game. A free agent this offseason, Claiborne’s future in Dallas is uncertain. In four seasons and 40 games played, he has just 21 pass deflections and three interceptions.

dallen

Senior Tech
Is the best list just based on who was the best overall player? Aikman was great, but I wouldn't call taking the best QB on the board at the #1 pick the best pick. Getting Orlando Scandrick in the 5th is a better pick than that. I wouldn't really call Ware and Emmitt great picks either.

I think my top 5 would be something like:

Jason Witten (3rd Round)
Larry Allen (2nd Round)
Erik Williams (3rd Round)
Jay Ratliff (7th Round)
Darren Woodson (2nd Round)

with honorable mentions for Scandrick, Leon Lett, and Marion Barber

data

Forbes #1
Tony Romo should be tops, even though he technically wasn't a pick. Larry brown should get mention, too.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Goodrich was so bad that I literally hated the man. That hit & run helped cement him in my top 5 list of most hated Cowboys.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
How could they possibly avoid discussing the 1995 "backups" draft? I guess it could be its own category of fuck-ups.

Three second round picks:

Sherman Williams-- Released in 1998. Drafted 1 round ahead of Curtis Martin and 4 rounds ahead of Terrell Davis.
Kendell Watkins-- Backup in 1995, 1996 ACL injury, cut, traded back for a 5th round pick, cut again before playing a down. 1 total catch for 8 yards, 1 KR for -6 yards, 1 fumble.
Shane Hannah-- ACL injury in 1995, came back out of shape and RETIRED before his second season. Never played a down.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Is the best list just based on who was the best overall player? Aikman was great, but I wouldn't call taking the best QB on the board at the #1 pick the best pick. Getting Orlando Scandrick in the 5th is a better pick than that. I wouldn't really call Ware and Emmitt great picks either.

Jason Witten (3rd Round)
Larry Allen (2nd Round)
Jay Ratliff (7th Round)

Leon Lett was a far, far better player than Jay Ratliff and also a 7th rounder.

Carp

DCC 4Life
When they traded up to take Emmitt there were many teams that thought he was too small and old to make it.

2233boys

Not So New Member

Jason Witten (3rd Round)
Larry Allen (2nd Round)
Jay Ratliff (7th Round)

I'd for certain have Smith, Witten and Allen ahead of Aikman.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Is the best list just based on who was the best overall player? Aikman was great, but I wouldn't call taking the best QB on the board at the #1 pick the best pick.
There is something to be said for hitting a grand slam on your first overall pick when you are gunning for a franchise QB. I mean, sheer "value" and whatnot, Aikman was not a find, it was an obvious pick, but getting a franchise QB right is also the most important thing to do.

Therefore you could also say it was the best, if not the hardest find.

Top Bottom