R.I.P. Dennis Green

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Former Vikings and Cardinals coach Dennis Green dies at age 67

Frank Schwab
Shutdown Corner editor

Jul 22, 2016, 11:33 AM

Dennis Green, who led the Minnesota Vikings to 97 wins in his 10 seasons as their head coach, died of cardiac arrest at age 67.

The news of Green’s death was reported by multiple outlets including NFL.com. Green coached 13 NFL seasons, from 1992-2001 with the Vikings and then 2004-06 with theArizona Cardinals. His most memorable moment in that Cardinals run was a fiery rant after a loss to the Chicago Bears, but Green’s legacy goes far beyond that press conference blowup. He’ll be remembered for some great seasons with the Vikings and as a pioneer. Green was one of the first black coaches in NFL history.

“All of us at the Cardinals are incredibly saddened by the news of Dennis Green’s passing,” Cardinals president Michael Bidwill said in a statement. “Coach Green will rightly be remembered as a true innovator, leader and pioneer among football coaches. We express our deepest sympathy to his family and his many friends.”

Green, who also was a head coach in college at Northwestern and Stanford, helped build the Vikings into one of the NFL’s stronger franchises in the 1990s. The Vikings won four division titles and made the playoffs eight times in his 10 seasons. He also coached one of the best regular-season teams in NFL history, the 1998 Vikings. The Vikings went 15-1 with incredible rookie receiver Randy Moss leading the way, but were upset in the NFC championship game that season by the Atlanta Falcons. The Vikings also advanced to the 2000 NFC championship game with Green at the helm but were defeated by the New York Giants.

Green became just the second black head coach in the NFL’s modern era when the Vikings hired him in 1992, following Art Shell.

“Well, I feel very fortunate. I’ve always said I was born at the right time, with being born in 1949 and growing up right at the height of the Civil Rights Movement,” Green told Vikings.com in 2015. “I came along at a time when opportunity was created by very brave and determined people that came before me, and I was fortunate enough to benefit from it.”

View phot

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Sad deal. RIP.

data

Forbes #1
The Vikings won four division titles and made the playoffs eight times in his 10 seasons.

If we got that now, Garrett would be a hero.

townsend

Banned
Holy shit. That sucks. Shame he never won a title, but his late 90s teams were always in the mix. He had a lot of good coaches in his tree, Billick, Tice, and Dungy.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
RIP , man. You are what I thought you were... a cool guy who will be missed.

Top Bottom