Mailbag: Realistic QB Options In This Year’s Draft?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Mailbag: Realistic QB Options In This Year’s Draft?

Posted 2 hours ago

BRIAN HOWARD

CARSON CITY, NV
I've read here multiple times and heard through the different shows that a potential mid to late round draft pick could be the landing place for a quarterback. What QB's do we see that may land in a 3-4 round pick that will be available for us? Jimmy Garoppolo? A.J. McCarron?

Rowan: I think either of those guys could go between the second and fourth rounds. LSU’s Zach Mettenberger and Georgia’s Aaron Murray, both coming off major injuries, could fall to that mid-round area as well. I think those are the likeliest candidates at this point, in addition to San Jose State’s David Fales. There could be a potential long-time starter in that group, but the pecking order among quarterbacks in this draft will jump and dip a bunch in the coming months.

David: It would be pretty fortuitous if McCarron fell to a spot where the Cowboys could take him without using an expensive pick. He seems like the right kind of guy to sit for a few years and learn behind a veteran, and then who knows what he could become? I agree with Rowan about the other two SEC guys, as well. Another guy that intrigues me is Virginia Tech’s Logan Thomas. We saw him at the Senior Bowl, and he definitely didn’t light the world on fire, but he showed flashes. His size and athleticism make him an interesting prospect.

CLINTON ROBBINS
MASCOUTAH, IL
If we run a "similar" defense as Seattle, why does it always seem like they have guys playing man to man but also zone? When our defense ran zone coverage, the defensive backs were never close to the wide receivers, but Seattle always seems to have DB's on their WR's.

Rowan:I think the obvious point is they have better defenders as a group. There’s a reason they’re the most feared defense in the league. For the most part, they’re much more physical at the line and Seattle’s coaches

trust if any of their defensive backs are one-on-one with a receiver, they’re probably going to win that matchup. In addition, Seattle got more pressure quickly on the quarterback, giving the defensive backs less time to be forced to cover.

David: I think it goes back to what we’ve talked about regarding size. Richard Sherman is 6-3, 195 pounds, Byron Maxwell is 6-1, 207 pounds, and Brandon Browner is 6-4, 221 pounds. That’s absolutely monstrous size for cornerbacks.Morris Claiborne, Brandon Carr andOrlando Scandrick all sit in the 5-10, 190-195 pounds range – which is more traditional size for the position. Quite simply, I think the Seahawks’ defensive backs are a bit better equipped to win those physical matchups. And when they don’t get physical, like Rowan said, they have a pass rush that helps compensate.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It would be pretty fortuitous if McCarron fell to a spot where the Cowboys could take him without using an expensive pick.
No it wouldn't. I intensely dislike this player.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't mind taking a flier later in the draft on McCarron even if he is a weird little shit, but I definitely wouldn't take him in the first 3 rounds after all the nonsense after the season ended.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So, he is this year's Taylor Mays?
No, I did not hate Mays like it was personal.

McCarron, oh hells ayuh.

And it is not really what he does on the field, although I think he's overrated.

The skipping of the Senior Bowl saying he has "nothing to prove" was a douche move. Then he says the Grammys were demonic.

The constant dribbling by Musberger over his girlfriend. His bitchy stupid hillbilly mother.

Do. Not. Want.

Cotton

Staff member
No, I did not hate Mays like it was personal.

McCarron, oh hells ayuh.

And it is not really what he does on the field, although I think he's overrated.

The skipping of the Senior Bowl saying he has "nothing to prove" was a douche move. Then he says the Grammys were demonic.

The constant dribbling by Musberger over his girlfriend. His bitchy stupid hillbilly mother.

Do. Not. Want.
You hate him more or less than Brett Favre?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You hate him more or less than Brett Favre?
Less. But he could eventually get there. He is well on his way.

I would say I hate him about as bad as I do Colin Kaepernick, mainly because of the tattoo thing.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I never really cared about McCarron either way before.

Now he's a pet cat.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I never really cared about McCarron either way before.

Now he's a pet cat.
He's pretty popular with fat guys who plunge toilets in the southwest too.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
McCarron is Ken Dorsey 2.0. Surrounded by NFL talent at every position and ~gasp~ won games! He's a winnur!!!

Next

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
He's pretty popular with fat guys who plunge toilets in the southwest too.
:lol

This plunging fat guy wouldn't happen to have posed as an Army Ranger on a plane to ease the worries of nervous passengers, would he?

Cotton

Staff member

This plunging fat guy wouldn't happen to have posed as an Army Ranger on a plane to ease the worries of nervous passengers, would he?

I had forgotten about that one. Classic.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger

Not only that, they stood up in front of the passengers and told them no one was taking this plane, to a round of applause.

No, they weren't instantly thrown off the plane, they were applauded

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Not only that, they stood up in front of the passengers and told them no one was taking this plane, to a round of applause.

No, they weren't instantly thrown off the plane, they were applauded
I mean, what are the chances that your seat on the plane just so happens to have been sandwiched between members of special forces units from different branches of the military?

Some guys just have all the luck.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
I mean, what are the chances that your seat on the plane just so happens to have been sandwiched between members of special forces units from different branches of the military?

Some guys just have all the luck.
If you were a flight attendant, you'd sit a real man like Hostile next to Navy Seals as well.

Top Bottom