Here's how QB Carson Wentz figures in Cowboys' draft, long-term plans

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
But, you might be able to get a team around 7 or 8 to trade up, and then trade down a second time into the 10-15 range. You could pick up 2 extra picks without one single trading partner having to give up too much.

And at that spot, with extra picks in hand, we could take a linebacker or DB or WR or even Lynch and feel a lot better about it.
Or you trade down a couple of times and draft Rankins. You just added a stud DT and picked up a couple extra second rounders in the process probably. Lynch would also be a name in play at that point. By the way, if an NFL team thinks Tunsil is a premium NFL LT, they absolutely would be willing to move up. And honestly people on here hate Ramsey but if an NFL team really thinks he is as good as the experts claim a team would have no trouble moving up for the best DB in the draft.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Or you trade down a couple of times and draft Rankins. You just added a stud DT and picked up a couple extra second rounders in the process probably. Lynch would also be a name in play at that point. By the way, if an NFL team thinks Tunsil is a premium NFL LT, they absolutely would be willing to move up. And honestly people on here hate Ramsey but if an NFL team really thinks he is as good as the experts claim a team would have no trouble moving up for the best DB in the draft.
Only stupid franchises would trade up to four for a guy that honestly doesn't even have a true pro position. Ramsey is the most overrated prospect in this entire draft.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Only stupid franchises would trade up to four for a guy that honestly doesn't even have a true pro position. Ramsey is the most overrated prospect in this entire draft.
And there are lots of stupid franchises. They are the ones that tend to occupy the upper half of the draft too. It wouldn't be the first time we have seen a team move up for a DB. Happens all the time.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
When is the last time a team traded down twice out of the top 5-10 picks to the 15-20 range?

Can't remember anything like that happening in the last 10 years, seems like an unrealistic plan.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
When is the last time a team traded down twice out of the top 5-10 picks to the 15-20 range?

Can't remember anything like that happening in the last 10 years, seems like an unrealistic plan.
I remember it happening not that long ago but I'd have to go back and dig to find the actual team and how far they ended up trading down. I seem to remember someone trading down twice into possibly the 20's even. But I can't remember exactly which team it was. They ended up taking someone really disappointing too if I remember.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Best rated DB since Deion. :tehj

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I agree. Bosa is the only other guy I'd like at #4. If somehow both QB's and Bosa are gone
Someone is going to see Cam Newton walking off with a Lombardi and get a hardon for one of the two QB's.

SF might trade up with Tennessee to get Goff, leaving Wentz for Cleveland. At that point it's hard to see SD passing on Tunsil, even for Bosa since Rivers has been running for his life lately.

But if in that scenario SD drafts Bosa I agree Dallas is ripe for a trade down with someone who wants Tunsil.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I remember it happening not that long ago but I'd have to go back and dig to find the actual team and how far they ended up trading down. I seem to remember someone trading down twice into possibly the 20's even. But I can't remember exactly which team it was. They ended up taking someone really disappointing too if I remember.
Don't recall a double trade out of the top 10, but here are some that happened:

2013 - Miami traded up to #3 with Oakland who dropped down to #12. They took Dion Jordan and Oakland got D.J. Hayden and Menelik Watson.

2008 - Jacksonville traded up to #8 with Baltimore who dropped down to #26. They took Derrick Harvey, the Ravens traded most of the picks, including a 1st, 2 2nds and a 4th. Took Tavares Gooden in the 2nd.

1999 - Ditka traded his entire draft for Ricky Williams to move up to #5 from #12.

Might have missed something else, but usually trading into that realm does not seem to work out well, sometimes for both teams.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think you will see different trade scenarios than we have seen in the past. The new rookie wage scale makes a top 5 pick even more intriguing since you know you won't have to pay out the ass to sign them.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I seem to remember someone trading down twice into possibly the 20's even. But I can't remember exactly which team it was. They ended up taking someone really disappointing too if I remember.
Are you sure that wasn't Jerry? :unsure

Top Bottom