Mendez: Tanner says he took his man into throwing lane, causing interception by Romo

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I'd rather give up a pick six than lose our QB for the year. Ever watched Peyton Manning fumble a ball and then make absolutely no attempt to get in the pile and recover it? Yeah. Having your QB who doesn't train for it to hit a LB is moronic. At best he should try to get in the way and then very quickly get out of the way if anyone actually gets near him.
Yup.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I don't want my QB to "fucking level" anybody.

Not unless that pick six would mean we lose the super bowl.

Get in the way, slow them down, or whatever. But in the grand scheme of things, I'd rather give up the 7 pts than risk injury to the QB.

kidd

DCC 4Life
I don't want my QB to "fucking level" anybody.

Not unless that pick six would mean we lose the super bowl.

Get in the way, slow them down, or whatever. But in the grand scheme of things, I'd rather give up the 7 pts than risk injury to the QB.
Yup

p1_

DCC 4Life
Ok, so let's not injure the QB. That's common sense. I reacted emotionally to a stupid decision yet again by Romo.

But had the guy scored and it was 10-7, the complexion of the game is entirely different.

Then you very same guys are bitching up a storm. That's a fact.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Lets look at this passage from Sturm:

The Cowboys offense was driving again with a 10-0 lead and in Eagles territory with a chance to take the game by the neck. Facing a 3rd and 3, the Cowboys were expecting pressure, and had Cole Beasley - who might be the Cowboys great 3rd Down conversion discovery and counter punch to teams suffocating Witten - in a preferable man-to-man matchup with a much slower Mychal Kendricks underneath from the right slot, stacked behind the TE.

Romo waited for Witten to take coverage down the seam and clear out the space by the sticks, and then Beasley fakes Kendricks to the outside and heads back in front of Romo with all sorts of space. Meanwhile, on Romo's left, Tanner is picking up the blitz, but when he sees that DeMeco Ryans is not blitzing, he decides to clear out across the field back to the right. This puts Ryans crossing the path of Beasley who is 5 yards deeper, and Ryans picks off a pass that is going to a wide-open Beasley. First, the interception itself was a magnificent play by the middle linebacker and he returned it into Cowboys territory in a play that could have swung the entire game.

The announcers seemed to not fully notice what was happening as Troy Aikman and Thom Brennaman never seemed to acknowledge that it was not an errant pass intended for Tanner (that would have been well behind him), but rather a pass that was for Beasley. And here is where it appears Tanner was supposed to clear out in a way that would not bring a linebacker into the path of the throw from the opposite side. Tanner admitted his error later, but the milk was already spilled. A small mix-up from a RB in a check-release responsibility might have just swung the game.

And this is where you love what the defense did next. They held the damage to a minimum - with some help from Foles missing an open Jason Avant - and kept the game from getting out of hand. JJ Wilcox made two great defensive plays during this sequence, and then George Selvie and Jarius Wynn combined on a sack that ended Foles afternoon altogether. A field goal cut the game to 10-3, but the stand from the defense after the offense's gaffe was huge.

The defense came to the rescue and bailed Romo out.

Who of you truly expected to see that? None, I would imagine.

The reasons I wanted Romo to do something was that he threw the pick and was the only thing standing in the way of Ryans scoring.

Doug Free actually made the stop as Romo runs out of bounds after following Ryans to the 30.

Thank you Doug Free. I'm simply tired of the Romo picks. Really tired.

Top Bottom