Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Scout’s Prediction: Spencer Will Lead Defense In Sacks

Posted 45 minutes ago

Bryan Broaddus

Football Analyst/Scout

In the Hall of Fame career of
DeMarcus Ware, he has been one of the most dominate players in the league when it comes to sacking the quarterback. Throughout his time in Dallas, Ware has played as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme on the weak side.

Opposite Ware has been Anthony Spencer who has manned the position as the Sam linebacker on the strong side which primary responsibility is to control the tight end front side and drop in coverage to handle the flat or inside routes. There were times where Spencer did get the opportunity to rush the quarterback out of the nickel package and for two seasons, shown he can more than provide enough pressure when given the chance.

With the switch in scheme from the 3-4 to the 4-3, there is also a switch for Spencer and what his job now entails. Like Ware, he will have his hand on the ground which takes him back to his days while at Purdue. Where Spencer is similar to Ware in his ability to rush, is his explosive quickness. Spencer can attack the blocker with unique suddenness.

Over the years, he has developed an array of pass rush moves all while working his way to the quarterback. It is rare where you see him get stopped as he is going up the field. He plays with some upper body power and when he gets his hands inside, he can walk a tackle back. Spencer also for his size, doesn’t give the blocker much of a hitting surface. He has the ability to dip and dodge again, all while working toward the quarterback.

If you look at DeMarcus Ware’s work over the past four seasons, he has averaged 14.5 sacks a year. Last season was probably his most difficult because of the injuries that he had to fight through just to finish out the year. Anthony Spencer has never had more than 11 sacks in a season and he did that in 14 games as a part time rusher last year.

If anyone will benefit from this scheme change to the 4-3 and the style in which it is played, its Anthony Spencer. As much of the attention of opposing offenses will be focused on Ware and how to keep him from destroying plays with his rush from the edge, Spencer will be locked up facing either a rookie right tackle (Giants, Chiefs and Chargers) or facing single blocks the majority of the game. Where Spencer is at his best is when he can work one-on-one and he should get that opportunity plenty.

Since 2005, DeMarcus Ware has either lead or been tied for the team lead in sacks which is a remarkable feat. In this new scheme, there is no doubt that he will be given that opportunity to keep that streak intact but this is my bold prediction. When we sit back and reflect on how the season went for this Cowboys defense, Anthony Spencer will have more sacks than DeMarcus Ware.

I project an outstanding battle between the two but with the factors of Ware facing more teams trying to
stop him scheme wise, a better blocker to his side as well and the fact that Spencer no longer has to play in space as a linebacker and he gets the opportunity to rush the passer full time, his production and numbers will flourish to a whole new level.

Position Series: Defensive Line

Carp

DCC 4Life
I guess...I just can't see it happening. I do like that Broaddus is now being amazing prediction guy.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I guess...I just can't see it happening. I do like that Broaddus is now being amazing prediction guy.
Especially since he is wrong most times. You would think he would stop predicting.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If our offense can get leads, especially at home, these two could be terrors off the edge on turf with their speed.

On the other hand it's also very possible that our defense will get ground down in the running game from time to time.

Carp

DCC 4Life
It's a passing league though, so no need to worry about stopping the run.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
If our offense can get leads, especially at home, these two could be terrors off the edge on turf with their speed.

On the other hand it's also very possible that our defense will get ground down in the running game from time to time.
That's a strong possibility especially since we weren't all that great at stopping the run last year.

Lotuseater

Banned
That's a strong possibility especially since we weren't all that great at stopping the run last year.
Not excuse making, but that tends to happen when your defense is gutted of its best run stopping players.

I think this defense is going to be very good. Top 10 for sure.

Get yer popcorn ready bitches......

Carp

DCC 4Life
Undersized DEs, old and undersized DTs...how is that a real recipe for success?

Carp

DCC 4Life
Our best run stopper...Spencer, played all year. So did Spears and Lissemore. Sure we can point to Lee and Carter, but is their strength really in stopping the run?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Our best run stopper...Spencer, played all year. So did Spears and Lissemore. Sure we can point to Lee and Carter, but is their strength really in stopping the run?
We were on our 3rd string NT after Brent was arrested and had street free agents in Brady Poppinga and Ernie Sims, along with Dan Connor playing at ILB. Thae NT-ILB-ILB triangle are arguably the 3 most important guys when it comes to stopping the run in a 3-4 and we were basically gutted there.

With that said, I'm not excited at all about what our run defense will look like this year.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I look forward to getting Lee and Carter back, but we really did not lose much in terms of stopping the run. Ratliff is not some kind of premier run stopper...he is an undersized DT still. We did nothing to make ourselves better against the run this year. I'm not worried about the LBs, they will be fine, but our DL is going to be horrid against the run.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Lee and Carter rack up a bunch of tackles (when healthy) for guys that apparently suck against the run.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Who said they suck against the run?

Lotuseater

Banned
I look forward to getting Lee and Carter back, but we really did not lose much in terms of stopping the run. Ratliff is not some kind of premier run stopper...he is an undersized DT still. We did nothing to make ourselves better against the run this year. I'm not worried about the LBs, they will be fine, but our DL is going to be horrid against the run.
This is one of the most ignorant arguments you have yet summoned.

Losing Lee is 40% of your run defense. Ok not really, but his impact in that area is immense and cannot be overstated.

Carter and Lee out? With like 5 street free agents? "Gutted" barely covers that shit.

Are you kidding me?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Lee and Carter will be on IR in three games if our four man line cannot keep blockers off of them from time to time. If we don't draw double teams at a couple of the positions, they will get linemen into Carter, who is more of the key guy in the system. Kiffin's scheme in the past has relied on all the quickness, but this idea they are just rushing upfield to the QB is a bit overstated. They have to hold their ground at times. There is a reason why they were better with Booger McFarland than with Brad Culpepper.

Lotuseater

Banned
Lee and Carter will be on IR in three games if our four man line cannot keep blockers off of them from time to time. If we don't draw double teams at a couple of the positions, they will get linemen into Carter, who is more of the key guy in the system. Kiffin's scheme in the past has relied on all the quickness, but this idea they are just rushing upfield to the QB is a bit overstated. They have to hold their ground at times. There is a reason why they were better with Booger McFarland than with Brad Culpepper.
And to that I say you are giving Lee and Carter too little credit and a bit of beaten wife syndrome on the injuries, which I also get but am choosing to be optimistic.

Carter and Lee especially diagnose and fly to the ball so quickly it is, at best, an extreme disadvantage for any offensive lineman to be in the right position, much less make the block. That should help them stay healthy as they've gained savvy.

They are better players than you are giving them credit for.

Carp

DCC 4Life
This is one of the most ignorant arguments you have yet summoned.

Losing Lee is 40% of your run defense. Ok not really, but his impact in that area is immense and cannot be overstated.

Carter and Lee out? With like 5 street free agents? "Gutted" barely covers that shit.

Are you kidding me?
Stopping the run starts up front...we added nothing to the DL at all. It is naive and stupid to think that Ratliff will become a world beater now at his age...who else is going to keep those OL off the LBs? Hatcher? Lissemore? The LBs have a chance to be elite, but when they are constantly being ground down by guards they will not be very effective. Nothing ignorant about that...the ignorant thing is not seeing the relationship between the DL and the LBs.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Stopping the run starts up front...we added nothing to the DL at all. It is naive and stupid to think that Ratliff will become a world beater now at his age...who else is going to keep those OL off the LBs? Hatcher? Lissemore? The LBs have a chance to be elite, but when they are constantly being ground down by guards they will not be very effective. Nothing ignorant about that...the ignorant thing is not seeing the relationship between the DL and the LBs.
At least this scheme puts more protectors in front of the LB's. For example, Ratliff and Hatcher will be in front of Lee instead of Ratliff by himself like in the 3-4.

Lotuseater

Banned

Yes I think its makes entirely more sense to suggest that a young player like Lissemore may just get a little better. Ratliff is healthily and should be "a solid, hard to handle d-lineman" and maybe a flash of his old self now and then.

Hatcher should play better in a 4 man line. He will be a load at DT.

A couple of the younger guys, Bass especially, look intriguing against the run.

Plus Marinelli has to help just a little at least, right? Not a bunch because I don't think coaching is everything, but this is Marinellis thing right?

Ware and Spencer are outstanding run players.

For these reasons and many others, our run defense will be considerably better.

Top Bottom