Archer: Edgar Jones heads to short-term IR

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Edgar Jones heads to short-term IR

October, 18, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys placed Edgar Jones on injured reserve/designated to return list on Friday after the defensive end underwent sports hernia surgery.

Jones has missed the past two games because of a groin injury and was ruled out of Sunday’s game against the Philadelphia Eagles before the surgery was announced. Dr. William Meyers performed the surgery on Jones.

Dr. Meyers performed a sports hernia surgery on Jay Ratliff last December, but the defensive tackle was unable to return and was cut by the Cowboys on Wednesday. Ratliff’s agent, Mark Slough, said the surgery was more severe than a typical sports hernia surgery because two tendons had ripped from Ratliff’s pelvis. The Cowboys had hoped Ratliff would have returned for a possible playoff run last season but Slough said Wednesday the recovery was 12 months all along. Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones mentioned a “difference of opinion,” when addressing Ratliff’s condition and the team’s decision to cut him.

By placing Jones on the short-term IR list, he can return to practice in six weeks and get back to game action Dec. 15 against the Green Bay Packers. Jones had five tackles, three pressures and one pass breakup in four games.

The Cowboys will not fill Jones’ roster spot before Sunday’s game.
----------------------

Idiotic.

Sure hope we don't lose Romo, Bryant, Lee or someone who actually does more than play special teams because this designation has now been used up.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Idiotic.

Sure hope we don't lose Romo, Bryant, Lee or someone who actually does more than play special teams because this designation has now been used up.
Not that we had a chance at doing anything this year anyway, but if we lost one of those guys for any stretch of time, it would be all she wrote on the season any way.

In other words... WGAS.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Not that we had a chance at doing anything this year anyway, but if we lost one of those guys for any stretch of time, it would be all she wrote on the season any way.

In other words... WGAS.
Let me know when you see any other team use this designation over the next few weeks for a fricking borderline special teams player.

It's about as stupid as it gets and truly shows how this team overvalues its own talent.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Let me know when I should give a shit about another team.

Sorry. Not gonna grind me teeth down to nubs over something this meaningless.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Let me know when I should give a shit about another team.

Sorry. Not gonna grind me teeth down to nubs over something this meaningless.
Right. The fact that we are so idiotic that we don't do what any sane franchise would do is really pretty meaningless.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Right. The fact that we are so idiotic that we don't do what any sane franchise would do is really pretty meaningless.
Again. If we even had the remote possibility of doing anything this year, I could see being pissed over this. But if we lose one of the guys you mentioned for six weeks or so, we'd be blown out of the water anyway. You guys have been bemoaning the the possibility of sneaking into the playoffs and being one and done. Screwing our draft position for nothing to gain. Now you're upset we might lose out on having a core player for the last couple weeks?
Ok.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Again. If we even had the remote possibility of doing anything this year, I could see being pissed over this. But if we lose one of the guys you mentioned for six weeks or so, we'd be blown out of the water anyway. You guys have been bemoaning the the possibility of sneaking into the playoffs and being one and done. Screwing our draft position for nothing to gain. Now you're upset we might lose out on having a core player for the last couple weeks?
Ok.
It doesn't even have to be a "core" player. How about Harris? How about Scandrick? How about Williams?

You just don't use it on a fringe of the roster player. It is about as stupid as when we were considering using it on Matt Johnson last year.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Ok, you've convinced me.

If this blows up and costs us a run at the super bowl, I'm going to be PISSED!

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pretty sure we wouldn't want to even short term IR a player with significant value at this point in the season. We would probably rather keep them on the regular roster hoping they get healthy prior to six weeks. If they are going to be hurt six weeks or more for sure then they probably aren't really coming back this season regardless of the designation.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Ridiculous.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Complaining about what people are complaining about. Classic.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Booze is absolutely right. It's stupid that we are using this designation on a fringe player.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Put it this way...would anyone give a shit if we put him on IR? Is he going to be the parachute we need to return late in the season if we are still in the divisional race?

Nope.

So why use the designation that you get only one of on a guy like him?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Booze is right, doing something stupid is always wrong, regardless of the stakes.

Top Bottom