MacMahon - Travis Frederick: 'I'm going to change a lot of minds'

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
[h=3]Travis Frederick: 'I'm going to change a lot of minds'[/h]April, 27, 2013

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – Travis Frederick is well aware that the Cowboys were ripped for trading down and drafting him in the first round.

“Obviously, I think they made the right choice,” Frederick deadpanned during a Valley Ranch press conference Saturday afternoon.

Frederick, the Wisconsin center/guard selected with the 31st overall pick, certainly didn’t seem fazed by the doubters. He expects to make Jerry Jones look smart for drafting him and declaring that Frederick would be the “foundation” of the interior offensive line for years to come.

“I think that everybody that questions it and things like that, I just use that as motivation to try to improve myself,” Frederick said. “I’m excited just to get out there and show people who I am as a person and as a player. I think I’m going to change a lot of you guys’ minds.”

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
:towel

I like this pick. We should have got more in the trade down, but I won't hold that against Frederick. I also don't care about speculating if we could have had him at 47. Maybe we could have, maybe we couldn't have. Never know now. But I do know that gritting my teeth over our center position is over.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
I'm probably projecting too much but I feel like this is a smart kid that can anchor the entire offensive line and maybe be that leader that's been missing since we cut Kosier. I know Gurode made pro bowls but I never liked him at C because he was, frankly, a dumb player. Of course any kind of marginally competent GM could have landed a higher rated player at 31 and still picked Frederick but we don't get to enjoy that kind of basic front office competence. I'm excited we addressed the interior OL at all and especially with what looks like a legitimate guy and not some iffy slug ala Brewster a few seasons ago.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm probably projecting too much but I feel like this is a smart kid that can anchor the entire offensive line and maybe be that leader that's been missing since we cut Kosier. I know Gurode made pro bowls but I never liked him at C because he was, frankly, a dumb player. Of course any kind of marginally competent GM could have landed a higher rated player at 31 and still picked Frederick but we don't get to enjoy that kind of basic front office competence. I'm excited we addressed the interior OL at all and especially with what looks like a legitimate guy and not some iffy slug ala Brewster a few seasons ago.
I really like Frederick and I'm glad we got one of the best run blocking interior players in this draft. In terms of straight run blocking power I think he is only second to Warmack. You can't get a better fit for our needs then Frederick in my opinion. I know Booze hates him but this isn't Al Johnson. This guy has the potential to go a long way to stabilizing the interior of the line.

Lotuseater

Banned
I'm glad to see people coming around on him, after they did their homework. He's a fantastic player. I still have nightmares of Cook getting pancaked into the backfield. I think those days are over.

However, I will be the first to say, get ready for Costa to be our starting center. Freddy will be our starter a RG.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
You've been far from the first to suggest that.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
:lol

I never said I loved Black Wiener. In fact, I said I kinda hope Webb busts so I don't have to declare my love for Black Wiener.

Lotuseater

Banned
Yeah my sarcasm-er really doesn't work right. I'm working on it.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

I never said I loved Black Wiener. In fact, I said I kinda hope Webb busts so I don't have to declare my love for Black Wiener.

In other words, you are hoping the Black Wiener busts? :unsure

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Of course any kind of marginally competent GM could have landed a higher rated player at 31 and still picked Frederick but we don't get to enjoy that kind of basic front office competence.
They could have gotten a more talented player, but what guarantee would there be they could still land Frederick? Of course it's kind of ridiculous they locked onto a specific player in the first place. I dislike drafting for need, but they were convinced they had to land a day one starter and Frederick was their only remaining shot at that.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
They could have gotten a more talented player, but what guarantee would there be they could still land Frederick? Of course it's kind of ridiculous they locked onto a specific player in the first place. I dislike drafting for need, but they were convinced they had to land a day one starter and Frederick was their only remaining shot at that.
In their minds he was the only remaining shot. In reality, there were several starter caliber linemen including Warford and Schwenke still available even after our 2nd round pick so either could have filled the OL starter roll. Jerry and company may have disagreed but given they are proven idiots at evaluating offensive linemen their opinions don't count for much.

Even so, I'm 100% happy with how things turned out even if it wasn't technically the optimal value that we could have obtained.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
He'll solidify the interior for years. If we go ahead and cut Free/sign Winston or Clabo this OL could be real solid.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I'm glad to see people coming around on him, after they did their homework. He's a fantastic player. I still have nightmares of Cook getting pancaked into the backfield. I think those days are over.

However, I will be the first to say, get ready for Costa to be our starting center. Freddy will be our starter a RG.
Costa will last 5-10 snaps and get hurt again. You can count on it

Lotuseater

Banned
I just really wish the Baltimore game never happened. He'd be gone by now if he hadn't actually managed to have a pro-bowl level game up there, throwing around Ngata(injured I know) and whoever else they put in front of him. He was absoulely dominant and because of it, we'll have another couple years of him, even though that was probably his career high point.

Im not so sure that isnt the right thing to do, and I hate saying that. Truth. If there is ANY chance he could play like that consistantly, we have to keep him.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

You tell him, NoDak.
I just did, but thank you for your encouragement and support.

Or was that sarcasm? In which case, I apologize. Think I could maybe get a refund on that post?

Top Bottom