Explosions rock Boston Marathon; several injured

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
One thing that bothers me about the Muslim community is their lack of condemnation for the acts of the extremists. They are either silent or justify their actions sometime by blaming others for the reason.

Carl

RIP Brother
One thing that bothers me about the Muslim community is their lack of condemnation for the acts of the extremists. They are either silent or justify their actions sometime by blaming others for the reason.
So, there are about 2 billion Muslims in the world, and their community should comment every time someone steps out of line?

Carl

RIP Brother
It's minor, but here is an example. I want to build a privacy fence in my back yard. I have to pay the city 150 bucks just to come look at my property and give me "permission" to build a fence.

Property that I own. It's mine. I should be able to do whatever the F I want to do if it doesn't harm someone. But I gotta pay money for some guy to come out, look at my yard for two seconds and say okay?

And then if he tells me it's okay to build something on property that I own, then my property value goes up... you know, what you try to do when you buy a place. Make it worth more than you paid for it. And then I gotta pay more taxes.

Taxes in general, forget about it. I can make 4 grand a month but I'm not taking home anywhere close to that.

I want to smoke pot. I love it. But nope, can't do it. It's a schedule one drug, up there with heroin and morphine. But as a consolation gift please have this cigarette and a beer for your trouble. lulz.

It's little shit like that. We're not free. We just have an illusion of freedom.

These are dumb, petty examples, I get it. But there are so many more on a much more grand scale that I can't even think of right now because I'm drinking, which is amazingly somehow still a "freedom" that I have.

Basically, nothing that doesn't harm other people should be illegal IMO.
In my building the average price of a unit is $550,000. The City and the Board just passed a law that you can't smoke in your unit. Tobacco I mean.

Carl

RIP Brother
I am imposing a ban on myself from all news threads. It's for the best. From now on I will spend more time in Texas Ace's new Jockey thread.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Is this a joke?
Is this?

Since when is getting permission to search a property such a horrible thing? No one is saying you can't search the house. It's to prevent abuse.

As a bleeding heart liberal, it's shocking that you can't grasp the concept of police abuse.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
And how do you do that if your place has lost 20-40% of value since you bought it?
The fluctuations of value in property are a risk of ownership. It's not the government's job to protect you from loss.

Next you'll be telling me that the government should manage poorly run companies that you bought stock in. You don't want to lose money!

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The fluctuations of value in property are a risk of ownership. It's not the government's job to protect you from loss.

Next you'll be telling me that the government should manage poorly run companies that you bought stock in. You don't want to lose money!
You tell him sir. Believe it or not the credo of the liberal is that government is your daddy and owes everyone the pot at the end of the rainbow.

2233boys

Not So New Member
All the liberal/conservative BS is stupid and does nothing to move a discussion forward. I have hard time believing half you believe half the BS rhetoric you spout.

Smitty may be the only one of you "conservatives" who actually makes sense and doesn't sound like he is just parroting Glenn Beck or Rush.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
That's harsh, would you say the christian community has done enough condemnation of the pedophelia?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
That's harsh, would you say the christian community has done enough condemnation of the pedophelia?
What a terrible comparison. But to answer you, yeah. I would. It certainly hasn't been celebrated. When is the last time you heard of a church group that gathered in the street to cheer and dance when they heard of a child being molested?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The Christian community condemns pedophilia. The only ones that tried to cover it up were some of the church leaders but they do not represent the sentiment of the Christian community.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
The Christian community condemns pedophilia. The only ones that tried to cover it up were some of the church leaders but they do not represent the sentiment of the Christian community.
lol

Yeah, I totally agree with you man.

I really wish all those muslims that claim to be against extremism would like totally speak out and stuff, at the very least as loudly as the awesome christians do.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
lol

Yeah, I totally agree with you man.

I really wish all those muslims that claim to be against extremism would like totally speak out and stuff, at the very least as loudly as the awesome christians do.
Your sarcasm is duly noted.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Liberty Was Also Attacked in Boston

Ron Paul

Forced lockdown of a city. Militarized police riding tanks in the streets. Door-to-door armed searches without warrant. Families thrown out of their homes at gunpoint to be searched without probable cause. Businesses forced to close. Transport shut down.

These were not the scenes from a military coup in a far off banana republic, but rather the scenes just over a week ago in Boston as the United States got a taste of martial law. The ostensible reason for the military-style takeover of parts of Boston was that the accused perpetrator of a horrific crime was on the loose. The Boston bombing provided the opportunity for the government to turn what should have been a police investigation into a military-style occupation of an American city. This unprecedented move should frighten us as much or more than the attack itself.

What has been sadly forgotten in all the celebration of the capture of one suspect and the killing of his older brother is that the police state tactics in Boston did absolutely nothing to catch them. While the media crowed that the apprehension of the suspects was a triumph of the new surveillance state – and, predictably, many talking heads and Members of Congress called for even more government cameras pointed at the rest of us – the fact is none of this caught the suspect. Actually, it very nearly gave the suspect a chance to make a getaway.

The “shelter in place” command imposed by the governor of Massachusetts was lifted before the suspect was caught. Only after this police state move was ended did the owner of the boat go outside to check on his property, and in so doing discover the suspect.

No, the suspect was not discovered by the paramilitary troops terrorizing the public. He was discovered by a private citizen, who then placed a call to the police. And he was identified not by government surveillance cameras, but by private citizens who willingly shared their photographs with the police.

As journalist Tim Carney wrote last week:

“Law enforcement in Boston used cameras to ID the bombing suspects, but not police cameras. Instead, authorities asked the public to submit all photos and videos of the finish-line area to the FBI, just in case any of them had relevant images. The surveillance videos the FBI posted online of the suspects came from private businesses that use surveillance to punish and deter crime on their property.”
Sadly, we have been conditioned to believe that the job of the government is to keep us safe, but in reality the job of the government is to protect our liberties. Once the government decides that its role is to keep us safe, whether economically or physically, they can only do so by taking away our liberties. That is what happened in Boston.

Three people were killed in Boston and that is tragic. But what of the fact that over 40 persons are killed in the United States each day, and sometimes ten persons can be killed in one city on any given weekend? These cities are not locked-down by paramilitary police riding in tanks and pointing automatic weapons at innocent citizens.

This is unprecedented and is very dangerous. We must educate ourselves and others about our precious civil liberties to ensure that we never accept demands that we give up our Constitution so that the government can pretend to protect us.

Carp

DCC 4Life
An unidentified FBI agent shot and killed a man in Orlando, Fla., early Wednesday after questioning him about his link to the Boston Marathon bombing suspects.

Dave Couvertier, a special agent and spokesman for the FBI's Tampa field office, told Yahoo News the shooting is under investigation. He identified the man as Ibragim Todashev, a 27-year-old Chechen-born Orlando resident and apparent acquaintance of Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the brothers suspected of planning and carrying out the terror attack at last month's Boston Marathon.

The shooting occurred just after midnight at an apartment complex in Orlando. The agent, along with two Massachusetts State Police troopers, were interviewing Todashev "in connection with the Boston Marathon bombing investigation when a violent confrontation was initiated by the individual," Couvertier said. "An FBI post-shooting incident review team has been dispatched from Washington, D.C., and expected to arrive in Orlando within 24 hours."

The agent, Couvertier added, "sustained non-life threatening injuries."

Khusen Taramov, a friend of Todashev, told local television reporters that he and Todashev were interviewed by the FBI for three hours on Tuesday.

"They were talking to us," Taramov told WESH-TV. "And they said they need him for a little more, for a couple more hours, and I left, and they told me they’re going to bring him back. They never brought him back. ... He felt inside he was going to get shot. I told him, 'Everything is going to be fine, don't worry about it.' He said, 'I have a really bad feeling.'"

Todashev met Tamerlan Tsarnaev in Boston while competing in mixed martial arts, Taramov said.

"They met a few times because [Todashev] was an MMA fighter and [Tsarnaev] was a boxer," Taramov told WKMG-TV. "They just knew each other. That’s it."

Taramov said Todashev had planned to travel back to Chechnya. "He had a [plane] ticket to New York," Taramov said. "From there, he was going to go home. [The FBI was] pushing him to stay, saying, ‘We want to interview you one last time.'"

According to the Orlando Sun Sentinel, Todashev was arrested earlier this month on aggravated assault charges:

In that incident, Todashev told deputies he got in a fight with a man over a parking space at the Orlando Premium Outlet mall and "was only fighting to protect his knee because he had surgery in March," according to the arrest report.

The Sheriff's office report says that two men were fighting and one—later identified as Todashev—was leaving the scene in a vehicle, while the other was on the ground, appeared unconscious, and surrounded by "a considerable amount of blood."

Deputies pursued Todashev, pulled him over and ordered him out of his car at gunpoint, according to the report. The victim, who had a split upper lip and "several teeth knocked out of place," did not want to press charges, according to the report.

Four days after the bombings, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, was killed in a late-night shootout with police in Watertown, Mass. Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, was later arrested and charged in connection with the bombings, which left three people dead and wounded 275.

D

Deuce

I watched this on the news this morning before I came to work. Weird story all around as people kept talking about how it was just an interview and then boom he gets shot.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Reportedly the guy killed in Orlando was friends with a 5'4" Canadian who likes to wear basketball shorts. They are actively pursuing the Canuck.

Top Bottom