Cowboys cut Ratliff

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys Cut Ties With Ratliff, Ending His 8-Year Run In Dallas
Posted 8 minutes ago

Nick Eatman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas– Jay Ratliff is no longer a member of the Dallas Cowboys. The team ended the year-long suspense for the defensive tackle on Wednesday, by officially terminated the contract of Ratliff, placing him on the failed physical list from Reserve/PUP (Physically Unable to Perform). Ratliff has dealt with a groin injury since last year when he underwent sports hernia surgery. The defensive tackle reported to training camp and suffered a hamstring injury in the conditioning run. He stayed with the team through camp but was eventually placed on PUP. He was eligible to come off PUP this week, and while Jerry Jones and the Cowboys have stayed mum on the situation, the decision was made Wednesday afternoon to cut ties with eight-year veteran. Ratliff made four straight Pro Bowls from 2008-11 and thrived in Wade Phillips’ 3-4 scheme as a nose tackle. He played two years under Rob Ryan, including last year when he only played six games. Ratliff had just 25 sacks and no sacks in 2012. In 2011, Ratliff signed a five-year extension that totaled out to $48.6 million. By cutting him now, the Cowboys will stop paying his $1.34 million base salary. The majority of his $10.268 million cap charge will roll over into next year. However, the Cowboys will be free of all base salaries, including the $5.5 million for 2014.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
At least it will free up alot of money in future years, same when we inevitably cut Austin after the season.

Cotton

Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
They extended this idiot with like 2 years left on his prior deal, it was completely mind-numbing.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Finally, dead weight eliminated. Id rather have Selvie, truth be told.

Lotuseater

Banned
They extended this idiot with like 2 years left on his prior deal, it was completely mind-numbing.
I don't think it was beyond comprehension that he would thrive in kiffins defense without the wear and tear of the nose tackle position. If he was healthy, he would have been a holy terror in this defense with his ability ti get upfield. Too bad.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Jerry truly cares about not only winning, but doing so the right way.

Bravo!

:towel

dallen

Senior Tech
Good riddance. I guess we have to update the banner now.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I don't think it was beyond comprehension that he would thrive in kiffins defense without the wear and tear of the nose tackle position. If he was healthy, he would have been a holy terror in this defense with his ability ti get upfield. Too bad.
You think he still has a bad hammy from training camp months and months ago? Puhleeze.

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys release Jay Ratliff
Updated: October 16, 2013, 4:20 PM ET
By Todd Archer | ESPN.com

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys have cut defensive tackle Jay Ratliff.

Ratliff was eligible to come off the physically unable to perform (PUP) list this week but the team decided to part ways with the four-time Pro Bowler instead.

The Cowboys put Ratliff on the PUP list at the start of training camp after he suffered a strained hamstring in the conditioning run. He also still was recovering from a sports hernia surgery last December.

Coach Jason Garrett mostly has deflected questions about Ratliff, saying the organization had to have discussions regarding Ratliff before they would activate him so he could practice.

The Cowboys restructured Ratliff's contract in the spring to create salary-cap space and hoped he would return to form in the defensive move to the 4-3 scheme but he was unable to get healthy enough to play.

Ratliff made the Pro Bowl from 2008-11 as a 3-4 nose tackle. He had 25 sacks in 104 games.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Good riddance. I guess we have to update the banner now.
Just a quote bubble photoshopped above him saying something to the effect of "Oh, curses!!! Why now, Jerry?!?! DUI & threatening to beat your ass...why did it take you this long???"

superpunk

Banned
We might finally hear what went on, if his agent gets his way.

Ratliff typically treats the media with disdain, so even if he is pissed I doubt he'll go off. But there's definitely something going on. I just hope we don't see a sudden "rehab" and then him wrecking shop on Chicago for the rest of the year.

I'd be interested if it had anything to do with him not wanting to play in a 4-3.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Without question, the dumbest contract extension in Jerry's tenure.....and that's saying something.

As Simp said, he had not one but TWO years left on his contract and he was clearly in decline when we gave it to him. Couple all that with the fact that he's been both a bad and unhealthy football player since then, and you have an incredibly bad signing.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
And oh yea...good fucking riddance.

Easily the guy I've hated the most on the team in a long long time.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
:yawnee for this year.

Nice dead money for next. Asinine extension.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I just hope we don't see a sudden "rehab" and then him wrecking shop on Chicago for the rest of the year.
Don't worry about that - this guy is finished and has been for years.

Healthy or not, he's just not good anymore.

Top Bottom