Watkins: Cowboys' Tyron Smith off to a strong start

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys' Tyron Smith off to a strong start

October, 18, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Cowboys left tackle Tyron Smith has been a quiet force along the offensive line this season.

At the start of the season, the line was a major area of concern with ineffective play and the Cowboys waiting on veteran guard Brian Waters to enter the starting lineup.

While that was going on, Smith merged into a productive force.

"I feel like I have more knowledge than I did last year," Smith said. "I'm able to read things better than I did last year, that was my goal. I wanted to be smarter on the field."

Smith credits Waters with helping him become a better left tackle.

"It's experience and getting help where I can and having Brian Waters here when I can," Smith said. "He helps us have the right mind set going into every game and lets us know some of the things we can kinda look out for every game."

Last season, Smith committed seven false start penalties, was flagged twice for holding and allowed three sacks.

Smith improved himself under line coach Bill Callahan's teachings and he's gaining confidence in the techniques he's applying. Smith has been flagged just twice for holding and false start penalties this season through six games. He's allowed just one sack.

When the Cowboys drafted Smith in the first round of the 2011 draft, the goal was to make someone the anchor of the offensive line for several years at left tackle. Smith started at right tackle his rookie season but the next two seasons he played on the coveted left side.

During his conference call with reporters, the day he was drafted, Smith noted he wanted to be a Pro Bowl player.

"Just kind of having my own goals set for me," he said. "Just always having a high standard for myself so I can have something to reach for. I'm just trying to get better as the week goes by. Taking it a day at a time. I’m not really trying to think about it."

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Tyron Smith has found a comfort level at LT, his second season playing the position

Tyron Smith quietly is having his best season. He credits a few things for that, including the addition of veteran guard Brian Waters.

"It's experience and getting help where I can and having Brian Waters here and he helps us have the right mindset going into every game and lets us know some of the things we can look out for every game," Smith said.

Smith has allowed only one sack, according to STATS, with one hold and two false starts.

"He’s playing good," Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo said. "Obviously I’m not studying him every day like the offensive line coach and stuff, but he’s doing a good job, and he’s having a good season, and he’s coming along. He’s developed quite a bit since he’s gotten here, and it’s exciting to see."

Smith, the No. 9 overall pick in 2011, played right tackle his rookie season. He and Doug Free switched sides last season, which was Smith's first ever playing left tackle.

"I feel more comfortable being at left tackle now," Smith said. "It’s kind of second nature now. Just kind of focus on what I have to do on the field instead of working on my technique."

Smith said the day he was drafted that he wanted to become a Pro Bowl player. It appears he's headed that way.

"Just kind of having my own goals set for me," Smith said of expectations. "Just always having high standard for myself so I can have something to reach for."

-- Charean Williams

Top Bottom