CN: Jerry Jones hasn't accepted anything

Irving Cowboy

DCC 4Life
Jerry Jones hasn't accepted anything
by Ben Grimaldi

Jerry Jones has been spending his off-seasons trying to figure out what's been going wrong with his Dallas Cowboys for a long time now. The past four seasons have been particularly difficult because the Cowboys have missed the playoffs despite being in position to make the post season in three of those years.

After each one of those missed opportunities, Jones has told anyone who would listen that he was disappointed and that he would make the necessary changes. Jones also told fans that things would get "uncomfortable" after last season's failure. Of course, that meant for everyone except himself, the one person who needs to feel the most uneasiness.

So far this off-season there is a small amount of change going on in Dallas. Jason Garrett has conceivably been allowed to bring one of "his guys" in to help him for his biggest season as the Cowboys head coach. Jones is essentially allowing Garrett to sink or swim, which has led to some Dallas reporters to believe the move is an admission of guilt from the owner. That Jones has admitted what he was doing to Garrett, and other coaches, wasn't the right way to go about things and he has seen the error of his ways.

No disrespect to anyone who believes that but that assertion is dead wrong. Sure Jones has given up some of the power to Garrett and it could help in 2014 but by doing so he hasn't admitted a thing. Fans of the Cowboys will be waiting a long time to hear Jones accept the lion's share of the blame.

The simple truth is that Jones will never give in and admit he's failed. The only way he can accept the proper blame is by doing the one thing he is defiantly against; hiring a general manager. That is the only way that Jones can show Cowboys fans that he's serious.

It's a nice gesture from Jones to put out the facade that he's seen the error of his ways but he's really not admitting he's failed. What he is doing is setting himself up to be the one who takes the credit if things go well this upcoming season. If Garrett, Scott Linehan and Rod Marinelli succeed in 2014, then Jones can take the credit for stepping back a little and putting the team in the position for success.

If the Cowboys fall on their faces again, Jones has created a situation where he can imply that he tried it the way fans have been asking for; he's given up some control and it didn't work. He can then let Garrett go, setting up his hand-picked coach as the scapegoat.

How many of those can Jones have before he realizes the real problem?

Cowboys fans know that answer all too well and he'll never fire himself as the GM in Dallas, which is the only way he can truly admit his failures. Everything else is classic Jerry smoke and mirrors.

Jones hasn't admitted his way hasn't worked because there's only one way to do that and the proof won't come from his words. It'll come from his actions.

Don't hold your breath Cowboys fans.

Newt

DCC 4Life
feh.

Big Ben. Parliment.

Jones isn't going anywhere, unless we fall on a magic stick of draft strategy we are stuck in a never ending cycle of mediocrity. The coaching isn't good enough to overcome the management.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Anyone who thinks Jerry gave up any power is delusional, we all know gingerfuck didn't hire Linehan without getting the ok first

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Anyone who thinks Jerry gave up any power is delusional, we all know gingerfuck didn't hire Linehan without getting the ok first
I'm getting really sick of hearing people talk about the Linehan thing like it was a win for Garrett. Bull. shit.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I'm getting really sick of hearing people talk about the Linehan thing like it was a win for Garrett. Bull. shit.
The ones saying it are the same that kept playing 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon tying Kiffin to Garrett even though Lacewell said "we tried it Jason's way" when he was talking about hiring the cryptkeeper

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The ones saying it are the same that kept playing 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon tying Kiffin to Garrett even though Lacewell said "we tried it Jason's way" when he was talking about hiring the cryptkeeper
If I understood what that meant I am not sure what it would make me.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

dallen

Senior Tech
Everyone always thought Houston Nutt would be the next old Arkansas coach Jerry would bring in. No one expected Monte Kiffin. If you want to feel a little optimistic, Pete Carroll coached there too

asklesko

Whoa An Active DCCer
after seeing the seahawks win the bowl, and tallying what the gm and coach had to do build such a team, it's clear that jerry jones is as far away as ever and will never even get close.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Jerry Jones isn't a serious GM.

He is doing way too many other things like booking fights and shit for his small penis compensator.

I'd imagine most other team's GMs are spending most their waking hours making some kind evaluation or another of his football team. Jerry Jones just isn't doing that.

I mean, he might as well be playing video games or something while other GMs are doing real work for the team.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It was a win relative to the massive FAIL that is the rest of his control of the team and/or his job.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
the only good thing about the coaching situation this year is it sets up Jerry to wash out the entire offensive and defensive staff and start over on both sides of the ball with the next coach. We keep getting stuck with leftovers from the previous staff on offense or defense and it always undermines the next coach.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It was a win relative to the massive FAIL that is the rest of his control of the team and/or his job.
Which doesn't constitute a win in my book.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It is not a win when your boss who really really wants you to succeed lets you have your way. This was about as much with Jones giving him every chance to be successful because he also needs to save face. This was not a "win" for Garrett or demonstrates any shift in power unless you are deluding yourself.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It is not a win when your boss who really really wants you to succeed lets you have your way. This was about as much with Jones giving him every chance to be successful because he also needs to save face. This was not a "win" for Garrett or demonstrates any shift in power unless you are deluding yourself.
regardless of the reasons, key assistant you like and can work with > key assistant forced upon you

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Correct!

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Especially since Callahan is still on the team.

Top Bottom