Romo To Spend Manning-Type Time On Game Planning

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Rowan Kavner
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas – When quarterback Tony Romo signed his six-year, $108 million extension, a couple ground rules were put in place.

If Romo would stick around for the future and invest even more time during the week in game-planning and preparing for an opponent, then owner/general manager Jerry Jones would protect his long-term investment and offer help on the offensive line.

“In our negotiations, (Romo) was inordinately interested in what we were going to be doing in the offensive line,” Jones said. “It meant something to him, to make commitments that he was making, that we commit there. It meant something to him and to me that he commit to what I’m talking about doing, more time that he commits to doing more time. It’s part of his job description.”

Jones said he wasn’t implying that Romo wasn’t involved in game-planning prior to this season, but he wants his quarterback to spend even more time getting ready for an opponent during the week throughout the preseason and regular season. The way Jones puts it, he wants Romo to spend “Peyton Manning type time on the job.”

“Anybody will tell you that Peyton Manning’s involvement in what they do is a bonus as opposed to what the general commitment is of top quarterbacks in the NFL,” Jones said.

After paying his quarterback elite money, Jones wants an elite return. Romo will be more involved in the finished product, according to Jones, which gives the owner more confidence the team will turn things around.

Jones didn’t say Romo will necessarily be calling the plays on Sundays, but he will play a larger and different role in what those plays will be.

“I can speak for Jason (Garrett) in this respect, everything that he’s about wants more buy-in and more participation from the player,” Jones said. “The more he can get the player, so that if Tony, for instance, would be here Monday through Saturday, that is far better and be here from 7 in the morning to 6 o’clock at night all over this place, then that’s better than the way it’s been. We’ll have more success. And Jason believes that, certainly at quarterback, but other positions, too.”

Part of that extra time committed by the quarterback was evident this week, as Romo came to Valley Ranch to speak with executives and offer his opinions on the early draft picks and what he thought of the players they considered.

“You can’t walk back here and spend a day looking at three or four players and really change anything,” Jones said. “But certainly, we had it narrowed down pretty good and wanted to just get a sense of what he might be more comfortable with.

“The more Tony can be involved in what we’re doing offensively, the more the product we have out there complements his skills, the more we’re going to do it.”

Smitty

DCC 4Life
IRVING, Texas – When quarterback Tony Romo signed his six-year, $108 million extension, a couple ground rules were put in place.

If Romo would stick around for the future and invest even more time during the week in game-planning and preparing for an opponent, then owner/general manager Jerry Jones would protect his long-term investment and offer help on the offensive line.

“In our negotiations, (Romo) was inordinately interested in what we were going to be doing in the offensive line,” Jones said. “It meant something to him, to make commitments that he was making, that we commit there. It meant something to him and to me that he commit to what I’m talking about doing, more time that he commits to doing more time. It’s part of his job description.”
So Romo was like, get me offensive line help or I'm not signing this contract.

Good for him.

Now Jerry should follow through and sign Clabo and Moore to short term deals before the season starts. And then continue to add OLs high in the draft moving forward.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Unreal you have to negotiate with the GM to shore up the OL or any position for that matter. And just as ridiculous they'd have to negotiate Romo preparing more. That should also have been a normal occurrence. This franchise is so fricking dysfunctional.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
Remember when Romo spent all offseason watching film of Tom Brady and trying to mimic his footwork and stuff.

lulz, good times.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
With the horrible OL play of last year it wouldn't have made a difference if Romo watched film every free moment he had. When every play is snap, then immediately scramble for your life and go into sandlot mode, film study doesn't help much.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I bet that overdrafting Frederick shows the lengths Jerry will go to keep his commitment. Romo better be satisfied.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
With the horrible OL play of last year it wouldn't have made a difference if Romo watched film every free moment he had. When every play is snap, then immediately scramble for your life and go into sandlot mode, film study doesn't help much.
He did that when there was no pressure last year... ALOT

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The guys on Sirius just got around to this today and to a man, they all interpreted it as Jones trying to light a fire under Romo. Basically they were suggesting that Romo hasn't been putting in the work to get better and Jones is taking shots in the media at him.

Rich Gannon in particular was stating this was an admission that Romo has not been doing the right things to make the team and himself better and has not been preparing right.

I certainly didn't see it that way. Maybe I know Jones is an idiot and a loyal one at that.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't see it that way at all. I know Jerry is pretty much an idiot, but I don't see him giving Romo that kind of money if he thought he was not a hard worker. If anything, I think this empowers Romo more than ever. How this can be perceived as a backhanded compliment is hard to follow.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't see it that way at all. I know Jerry is pretty much an idiot, but I don't see him giving Romo that kind of money if he thought he was not a hard worker. If anything, I think this empowers Romo more than ever. How this can be perceived as a backhanded compliment is hard to follow.
FWIW, I wouldn't have said Romo was one of the hardest workers in the league, but I seriously doubt that he wasn't putting in what was expected of him, either.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I don't see it that way at all. I know Jerry is pretty much an idiot, but I don't see him giving Romo that kind of money if he thought he was not a hard worker. .
Right...because we know Jerry is so ready to do another QB search.

Romo as his QB is making him money. It's the sure thing that he won't gamble on.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
his forehead's not big enough to emulate Peyton

Lotuseater

Banned
He needs to figure out being Romo before he tries to be anyone else.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
NFL Analyst to Jerry Jones: When it comes to Tony Romo, 'sometimes you've got to keep your mouth shut'

By SPORTSDAYDFW.COM

Published: 02 May 2013 10:52 PM
Updated: 03 May 2013 12:48 AM

On ESPN's NFL Live this week, analysts Tedy Bruschi and Tim Hasselbeck didn't take kindly to Jerry Jones' comments about quarterback Tony Romo.

Jones said that with Romo's new contract comes an expectation that Romo will spend more time, "Peyton Manning-type" time at the Cowboys' facilities.

“Teammates now have something planted in their heads now," Bruschi said. "When you’re walking down the hallways down there at the facilities of the Dallas Cowboys and you see Tony Romo and you see him come, you know what you’re going to do? You’re going to check your watch. When he leaves, you know what you’re going to do? You’re going to look at your watch and try to calculate how many hours he’s been there that day.

"This is a bad move by Jerry Jones. I don’t know what he’s doing. Sometimes you’ve got to keep your mouth shut Jerry Jones, but you just put a lot of extra pressure on your quarterback and it wasn’t even necessary.”
Hasselbeck agreed.
“It’s awful," Hasselbeck said. "Let’s say that he does want Tony to be there more because he wasn’t. Let’s say Tony was just doing the norm. Have the conversation with Tony. Why in the world the rest of us would need to know or it would somehow benefit the team is absolutely ridiculous, and that’s why this to me, just reeks of people were maybe scratching their head a little bit about why Tony Romo got the deal.”

Top Bottom