Additional racist comments attributed to Clippers' Donald Sterling released

D

Deuce

I think it remains to be seen if a contract to play basketball is still enforceable if the team can't provide any basketball for them to play, turning it into a contract not to play basketball. Your "bad team" analogy is apples and oranges. If you are doing your job, making a living in you're profession, saying you don't like the conditions is one thing. Not being allowed to work in your field is another thing entirely and you are losing a quantifiable thing, time on the job, not some nebulous "quality" issue.

On the other issue, I agree with you. They've already done it with the Hornets so they'll go down the familiar road and do it to the Clippers.
Whether they can play games are meaningless. Teams are still on the hooks for their contracts when a player is hurt and can't play.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Whether they can play games are meaningless. Teams are still on the hooks for their contracts when a player is hurt and can't play.
That doesn't have anything to do with it. The point is that barring them from working might constitute a breach of the contract. They signed a contract to play basketball. They didn't sign a contract to play hockey, football, or tennis, or do other duties as assigned, including stay home. I haven't read the contract, obviously, but I think there's a limit to what they can be asked to do while under contract and paying them to stay home and not work may be farther than the contract could be pushed.

NFL teams now have a maximum number of weeks they can suspend a player before he can return to practice and team activities. When the Bucs told Keyshawn to sit out the rest of their year he eventually won his grievance. That's why the Eagles couldn't do the same to TO in 2005.

It's a different sport but there's a precedent to professional athletes having the right to do their job while under contract.

It's academic because the NBA can force the sale of the entire team including the players' contracts anyway, like they did with New Orleans.

D

Deuce

That doesn't have anything to do with it. The point is that barring them from working might constitute a breach of the contract. They signed a contract to play basketball. They didn't sign a contract to play hockey, football, or tennis, or do other duties as assigned, including stay home. I haven't read the contract, obviously, but I think there's a limit to what they can be asked to do while under contract and paying them to stay home and not work may be farther than the contract could be pushed.

NFL teams now have a maximum number of weeks they can suspend a player before he can return to practice and team activities. When the Bucs told Keyshawn to sit out the rest of their year he eventually won his grievance. That's why the Eagles couldn't do the same to TO in 2005.

It's a different sport but there's a precedent to professional athletes having the right to do their job while under contract.

It's academic because the NBA can force the sale of the entire team including the players' contracts anyway, like they did with New Orleans.
They didn't sign a contract to play basketball. They signed a contract to be with an organization for a set amount of money. As long as they're getting paid, they have nothing to complain about.

Players don't have a right to play. That's what DNP-CD is for.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
They didn't sign a contract to play basketball. They signed a contract to be with an organization for a set amount of money. As long as they're getting paid, they have nothing to complain about.

Players don't have a right to play. That's what DNP-CD is for.
Banning a player from engaging in the sport at all is not the same as paying a player to sit on the bench. I think California labor laws would be on the players' side. Like I said before, arbitrators supported the player and the NFLPA's position when the issue came up in the NFL.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Sterlings turn to lawsuits in cases great and small

Her broken ankle. His aching heart. Marques Johnson's ruptured disk. Bill Walton's bum foot. Whatever the affliction, Donald and Shelly Sterling have long favored one particular cure: a lawsuit.

Over the last four decades, the billionaire couple have aggressively pursued all manner of litigation from small claims cases over a few thousand dollars to appellate matters worth millions. They have sued former Clippers players and coaches, neighbors, the Peninsula New York hotel, tenants, employees, graffiti vandals and even one of his mistresses.

------------

FOR THE RECORD

May 19, 11:28 p.m.: An earlier version of this article did not include the article's first paragraph.

------------

Now facing their greatest challenge — the NBA's attempt to force them to sell the Clippers — it is no surprise that the Sterlings are girding for a legal fight. Shelly Sterling has hired a lawyer who vowed to "go to war" to preserve her stake in the team while her estranged husband, a former trial attorney, has indicated that he will take the case all the way to the Supreme Court.

The record of suits filed by the Sterlings and their various business entities, as well as interviews with those involved, suggest that the NBA should expect a protracted and contentious dispute. Opponents and a former lawyer for Donald Sterling said the real estate mogul regards lawsuits as a stalling tactic and has initiated them even when the facts and the law were against him.

The rest of the article can be read here.

D

Deuce

Sterlings turn to lawsuits in cases great and small

Her broken ankle. His aching heart. Marques Johnson's ruptured disk. Bill Walton's bum foot. Whatever the affliction, Donald and Shelly Sterling have long favored one particular cure: a lawsuit.

Over the last four decades, the billionaire couple have aggressively pursued all manner of litigation from small claims cases over a few thousand dollars to appellate matters worth millions. They have sued former Clippers players and coaches, neighbors, the Peninsula New York hotel, tenants, employees, graffiti vandals and even one of his mistresses.

------------

FOR THE RECORD

May 19, 11:28 p.m.: An earlier version of this article did not include the article's first paragraph.

------------

Now facing their greatest challenge — the NBA's attempt to force them to sell the Clippers — it is no surprise that the Sterlings are girding for a legal fight. Shelly Sterling has hired a lawyer who vowed to "go to war" to preserve her stake in the team while her estranged husband, a former trial attorney, has indicated that he will take the case all the way to the Supreme Court.

The record of suits filed by the Sterlings and their various business entities, as well as interviews with those involved, suggest that the NBA should expect a protracted and contentious dispute. Opponents and a former lawyer for Donald Sterling said the real estate mogul regards lawsuits as a stalling tactic and has initiated them even when the facts and the law were against him.

The rest of the article can be read here.
Feel free to post the full article.

Cotton

Staff member
Mark Cuban talks about prejudice
Updated: May 22, 2014, 1:49 PM ET
By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, attempting to make a nuanced point about society's challenges dealing with racism, acknowledged having his own "prejudices and bigotries" during an interview with Inc. magazine that has gone viral.

"In this day and age, this country has really come a long way putting any type of bigotry behind us, regardless of who it's toward," Cuban said Wednesday. "We've come a long way, and with that progress comes a price. We're a lot more vigilant and we're a lot less tolerant of different views, and it's not necessarily easy for everybody to adapt or evolve.

"I mean, we're all prejudiced in one way or another. If I see a black kid in a hoodie and it's late at night, I'm walking to the other side of the street. And if on that side of the street, there's a guy that has tattoos all over his face -- white guy, bald head, tattoos everywhere -- I'm walking back to the other side of the street. And the list goes on of stereotypes that we all live up to and are fearful of. So in my businesses, I try not to be hypocritical. I know that I'm not perfect. I know that I live in a glass house, and it's not appropriate for me to throw stones."

Cuban's comments come at a particularly sensitive time for the NBA, which is in the midst of trying to force Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling to sell his team after he made racially charged comments on an audiotape. Sterling was banned for life and fined $2.5 million by NBA commissioner Adam Silver after the release of a TMZ recording in which he told a female friend, V. Stiviano, not to bring black people to Clippers games.

On Monday, Sterling was charged with damaging the league with his racist comments, and he has until Tuesday to respond to the charge. If Sterling does not respond by then, that would be grounds for termination. Silver's decision of a lifetime ban for Sterling is subject to a vote by NBA owners in June, with the commissioner needing three-quarters of the vote to enforce his decision.

Speaking at the annual GrowCo convention, hosted by Inc. magazine, on Wednesday in Nashville, Tennessee, Cuban said he knows how he'll vote but isn't ready to comment on it.

"There's no law against stupid," Cuban said when asked how to keep bigotry out of the NBA, according to the Tennessean. "I'm the one guy who says, 'Don't force stupid people to be quiet.' I want to know who the morons are."

Whether intended or not, Cuban's reference to "a black kid in a hoodie" evoked memories of the 2012 Trayvon Martin shooting in South Florida, where the unarmed black teenager wearing a hooded sweatshirt was shot to death by George Zimmerman, a neighborhood crime-watch volunteer who said he acted in self-defense and was acquitted by a jury.

LeBron James and Miami Heat players condemned that act by posting a photo of the entire team, all wearing hoodies, their heads bowed, their hands stuffed into their pockets.

On the night before Silver's announcement of Sterling's lifetime ban, Cuban called Sterling's comments "abhorrent." However, he also said that forcing Sterling to sell the Clippers would be a "very slippery slope."

Cuban pledged his full support of Silver's ruling after the fact, but he had been guarded on his comments on the subject since then until appearing at the GrowCo convention Wednesday, when he reportedly said he hates that he might have to be hypocritical with his vote on the the matter of Sterling.

The point Cuban attempted to make during his videotaped interview with Inc. magazine was the importance of helping people evolve from their prejudices and bigotries.

"I'll try to give them a chance to improve themselves, because I think that helping people improve their lives, helping people engage with people they may fear or may not understand, and helping people realize that while we all may have our prejudices and bigotries we have to learn that it's an issue that we have to control, that it's part of my responsibility as an entrepreneur to try to solve it, not just to kick the problem down the road," Cuban said. "Because it does my company no good, it does my customers no good, it does society no good if my response to somebody and their racism and bigotry is to say, 'It's not right for you to be here. Go take your attitude somewhere else.'"

Cuban is getting roasted by some for saying this, but I think he is dead on. People are just too uncomfortable with commentary about race to hear the truth. Everyone's a little bit racist.

Cotton

Staff member

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
On another front I watched the Sterling "girlfriend" being interviewed by Dr.Phil yesterday and she denies being anything but an employee who wasn't on the payroll but instead was given gifts to support her livelihood. She called herself a personal assistant and received two Bentleys , a Ferrari, and a million dollar condo. In addition she said she gave the tape to a friend who copied it and sold it. Very credible huh?

Carp

DCC 4Life
His comments are just not needed at this time...when it's dark and he sees a black guy in a hoodie he is scared? Feh. Fuck him.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah, fuck him for being honest. Wotta dumbass.

D

Deuce

It's more fuck him for opening his mouth about this subject while the league is attempting to oust another owner for comments considered racial. Now the league is stuck trying to figure out if and how they plan to discipline him while looking hypocritical since he's going to get off light compared to Sterling.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Well you know sometimes folks appoint themselves to be the conscience of the world. Differing views are not valid or acceptable. Tolerance is defined by self proclaimed standards. What does that equate to?

Cotton

Staff member
It's more fuck him for opening his mouth about this subject while the league is attempting to oust another owner for comments considered racial. Now the league is stuck trying to figure out if and how they plan to discipline him while looking hypocritical since he's going to get off light compared to Sterling.
What he said wasn't anything he should be disciplined for. You are crazy if you think it was.

Cotton

Staff member
Well you know sometimes folks appoint themselves to be the conscience of the world. Differing views are not valid or acceptable. Tolerance is defined by self proclaimed standards. What does that equate to?
I'm not following where you are headed with this. Sounds like you're agreeing with Cuban, which I also agree with. Everyone is a little racist. Just depends on who you believe when they define racism. It varies by person. Sure there are universally accepted standards, but what you think is racist, someone else may not.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm not following where you are headed with this. Sounds like you're agreeing with Cuban, which I also agree with. Everyone is a little racist. Just depends on who you believe when they define racism. It varies by person. Sure there are universally accepted standards, but what you think is racist, someone else may not.
Where I am going with this is not limited to racism it's about whether someone has the freedom to express themselves. In the instant case Cuban expressed something he is convicted about and some folks get up in arms about it. There are some people that loose their tolerance to anyone that might say or do something they don't agree with. That is just as narrow and intolerant as when one tries to become their conscience.

Cotton

Staff member
Where I am going with this is not limited to racism it's about whether someone has the freedom to express themselves. In the instant case Cuban expressed something he is convicted about and some folks get up in arms about it. There are some people that loose their tolerance to anyone that might say or do something they don't agree with. That is just as narrow and intolerant as when one tries to become their conscience.
I think I agree with you.

:unsure

Top Bottom