Archer: Jason Witten isn't 'Hercules' but starting streak says otherwise

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jason Witten isn't 'Hercules' but starting streak says otherwise
6:43 PM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- The last time Jason Witten did not start a game for the Dallas Cowboys, rookie running back Ezekiel Elliott was 11 years old.

Just let that thought linger for a little bit.

On Sunday, Witten will make the 203rd start of his career when the Dallas Cowboys take on the Green Bay Packers, tying Ed “Too Tall” Jones for the most in team history. Jones would have had more if not for his one-year foray into boxing, but his starts spanned 1974-78 and 1980-89 seasons.

Witten has already played in more consecutive games than any player in team history (Sunday will be his 209th). When the Cowboys play the Philadelphia Eagles on Oct. 30, he will equal Lee Roy Jordan's team mark for most consecutive starts at 154.

He has already started more consecutive games than any tight end in NFL history.

When it was mentioned that this will be the 203rd start of Witten’s career, fellow tight end Geoff Swaim gave an incredulous laugh.

“That’s unreal,” Swaim said. “Two-hundred-and-whatever games, no matter how you get them, is unbelievable. But he’s been able to do that with the amount of bumps, bruises and injuries that go undisclosed. That’s crazy. It’s a testament to how hard he works and then his level of toughness and how much he cares to be on the field for his guys. Unbelievable, man. He’s a leader, a guy you look up to. I don’t know if you’re ever going to get to that level of that toughness but you certainly aspire to be some of the player he is definitely.”
Sports
The last time Witten did not start a game, Bill Parcells was the Cowboys coach. It came Dec. 10, 2006 when the Cowboys opened in a four-wide-receiver formation against the New Orleans Saints with Terrell Owens, Terry Glenn, Patrick Crayton and Sam Hurd.

Two days after that game, Witten’s teammate for the last six years, Tyron Smith, turned 16.

Witten has played in 10 Pro Bowls in his 14 seasons. He is one of 13 players with 1,000 receptions in NFL history. He is the Cowboys’ all-time leading receiver and needs 458 yards to pass Hall of Famer Michael Irvin for the top spot in receiving yards in team history.

But being there every week has mattered most.

“I don’t want to make it bigger than it is,” Witten said. “It’s not like I’m Hercules or something. I think it’s just, I love to play football and I think anybody that’s ever been my teammate ... understands how much I love that. And so when you break your collarbone or you do something like that, that’s out of your control. You’re put on the shelf for a few weeks. For me, I’ve been lucky from that standpoint, and then when you have injuries you just grind it out ... I couldn’t imagine not being out there whether we were Week 16 and out of the playoffs or whether we’re playing for a championship.”

His name was added to the injury report this week because of a chest injury, but he has not missed a practice. He missed one game in his career, as a rookie because of a broken jaw. In 2012, he suffered a ruptured spleen in the preseason but returned to play in the season opener. A year ago he suffered sprains to both ankles, including a high and low sprain on the same ankle, and could not walk back to the locker room on a Monday after getting examined. He practiced two days later.

“Different guys at different positions will always have numbers that are impressive whether it’s passing yards or touchdowns or completions or receptions or sacks, whatever those things are. They’re always very impressive, but the stuff that I think draws the most respect from people inside of football is the starts,” coach Jason Garrett said. “Sometimes that requires some good fortune, but I also think the guys that are able to play week in week out are the ones who are most respected. Witt’s just a rare individual. He’s a great football player; 14 years, 10-time Pro Bowler, arguably the best all-around tight end of his generation. But what he does each and every day is an example to the rest of us, coaches, players, guys he plays with, guys he plays against, he just does it the right way and he’s done it the right way for a long, long time. He’s exactly what you want in an NFL football player and his approach is like nothing I’ve ever seen. He deserves every bit of recognition he gets.”

Travis Frederick has started every game he has played since joining the Cowboys in 2013. To match Witten’s current streak, he would have to play in every game until 2025.

“It’s ridiculous to me but completely shows the person that Jason is,” Frederick said. “He’s a tough guy that’s going to go through anything to do what he can for the team. There’s been some situations he easily could’ve said, ‘Hey, I’m not going to play this week. I’ve got an ankle,’ or ‘I’ve got a knee.’ He’s a guy that’s going to give it all every single time. I can’t imagine starting 203 games.”

Witten is 34 and is signed through 2017. He is second on the team with 24 catches for 232 yards this season. He has played in all 347 offensive snaps through five games.

“As a kid, you just want to play football,” Witten said. “For me one day it will end, but until the end I love getting the opportunity to go out there and play at a high level.”

Newt

DCC 4Life
Maybe not the greatest tight end ever, but you could certainly argue the point. He is getting older and, he was by no means ever "fast", but man has he been good for a long time.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe not the greatest tight end ever, but you could certainly argue the point. He is getting older and, he was by no means ever "fast", but man has he been good for a long time.
Just so complete as a TE. He does everything you want a TE to do really well. The epitome of consistency and a true team player. I will really miss Witten when he is gone some day.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Just so complete as a TE. He does everything you want a TE to do really well. The epitome of consistency and a true team player. I will really miss Witten when he is gone some day.
I disagree with his, his TD's and YPC are pretty average, especially in this era of TE's.

Top Bottom