DMN: The five best Dallas Cowboys QBs of all time, ranked: Where do Staubach, Aikman

townsend

Banned
But the point of this thread was comparing the top 5 Dallas QBs. So it isn't pointless. It the product of the topic.
You're comparing a one man band who's had to will a terrible offense into productiveness. With an irreplaceable piece of an expertly crafted offense. It's two completely different situations, with not enough parallels to have a reasonable comparison. You can't possibly believe one is superior to the other when they'd both do worse than the other, in each other's situations.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
You're comparing a one man band who's had to will a terrible offense into productiveness. With an irreplaceable piece of an expertly crafted offense. It's two completely different situations, with not enough parallels to have a reasonable comparison. You can't possibly believe one is superior to the other when they'd both do worse than the other, in each other's situations.
No I am comparing the individuals and how they performed regardless of what they had around them. There are team accomplishments and individual accomplishments. I am viewing the QBs in that role. Super Bowls and varying championships are team accomplishments and are not part of what I am considering. I am looking at each individual and what they have going for them at that position. Romo or Aikman? Who has accomplished more at their respective position.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
And by the way , I am not trying to convince anyone to put Romo ahead of Aikman. I am just saying why I have it in that order. Aikman was a fine QB and will have a lasting legacy. I just think I prefer Romo.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
why do people think that Troy played with elite talent the entirety of his career?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
why do people think that Troy played with elite talent the entirety of his career?
He didn't and when the team was down Troy struggled like any other QB would have.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think I remember watching him from the stands of Texas Stadium.. Aikman wasn't a mobile QB. In the shotgun he would always retreat to his right and from the down under position he would retreat backwards, He wasn't elusive either way. Fortunately the OL usually gave him the time he needed to deliver but when was under pressure he had problems.
When he was under pressure he would take a hit to complete a pass.

Also, Aikman had more rushing yards his rookie year than Romo has had his entire career. So somehow Aikman was elusive enough to get those yards.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
When he was under pressure he would take a hit to complete a pass.

Also, Aikman had more rushing yards his rookie year than Romo has had his entire career. So somehow Aikman was elusive enough to get those yards.
Romo doesn't use his mobility to rush.

townsend

Banned
Neither did Aikman...but whatever works.
I don't remember any of Aikman's prime. So I could be wrong, but what's usually set Romo apart is his pocket mobility. Where , he'd make rushers miss long enough to improvise a crazy play. It seemed like, from what I've heard, that's not a thing Aikman did. I think athleticism might not be the right word, since Romo still does that crazy stuff so late in his career (like the left handed pass against Miami), but I would say he's always been mobile.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
both were useless on QB sneaks on 4th and less than a yard

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't remember any of Aikman's prime. So I could be wrong, but what's usually set Romo apart is his pocket mobility. Where , he'd make rushers miss long enough to improvise a crazy play. It seemed like, from what I've heard, that's not a thing Aikman did. I think athleticism might not be the right word, since Romo still does that crazy stuff so late in his career (like the left handed pass against Miami), but I would say he's always been mobile.
Just was using it as a reference point...LT said Rivers was more athletic than Aikman...which is laughable.

Top Bottom