The Great Police Work Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It comes down to just everyman perception. Three dark-skinned black boys walking down the street. Three Asian boys walking down the street. Which group's going to a cello recital and which one's up to no good?

On a less harmful scale but similar rationale, check out this video showing difference in how people react to the same girl - dressed nicely vs dressed dirty. One could say people don't stop for the dirty girl on the street because that's the 'uniform' for normal and I won't bother her, not that people don't care for the actual girl. So, I'm prepared to not bother the dirty girl because I'm predisposed to thinking she's in a normal state.

Supposedly, being black equates to being "more violent, less educated, got here only by affirmative action" so others get themselves prepared for it. I don't know shit about being a doctor, but I could get farther than someone else if I went around pretending to be one.
My point is, there is brutality across the board when it comes to bad cops. Is it more prevalent when a black person is the suspect/offender? Probably. But, to say that whites get a free pass when it comes to dirty police work is disingenuous and in some cases willful ignorance.

Cotton

Staff member

This might be the first thing this man has ever said that I wholeheartedly agree with.

Cotton

Staff member
Wow, hearing some of the quotes, it sounds like Obama brought it today in his speech. Props to him.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah. Do activists think that there are white police officers waking up thinking, "can't wait to shoot a negro today"? If it were that easy, racism would be easy to identify and solve. Unfortunately, it's combination of police authority and the nebulous, underlying 'black ppl are scary' perception (even to people with lots of black friends) that exacerbates it all.

Similar to Chris Rock's 'black people hate niggas' bit, I think the sentiment now is that people know there are the good kind of black people and even give a stranger the benefit of the doubt, but with one indicator are quick to put black individuals into the 'other' bucket. There's a differentiation now between dark-skinned vs light-skinned black people. This (for a lack of a better term) fight or flight decision-making adjusts depending on the situation -- you met the person as a new co-worker vs stranger walking down the street. Some time ago, it was prove to me that you aren't in the 'other' bucket.
Not following you here.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If referring to Koreans, go with soju. If chinese, go with mou tai. Rape of Nanking.
Just generalizing on race matters. Asian/saki. Often spelled Saka. You know, it's my contribution in celebration of President Obama's visit to town. :lol

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member

God damn, that's beautiful, and so true.

Cotton

Staff member
If referring to Koreans, go with soju. If chinese, go with mou tai. Rape of Nanking.
Seriously, I'm not following you. What did you mean?

Cotton

Staff member
Never mind, I didn't get all of the speech. He brought his agenda. No fucking shame at all. Such an inappropriate time to do so.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Wow, hearing some of the quotes, it sounds like Obama brought it today in his speech. Props to him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jesus, if he really said that he is out of his mind.

Cotton

Staff member
Full quote:

“As long as you can go in some neighborhoods and it is easier for you to buy a firearm than it is for you to buy a book, there are neighborhoods where it is easier for you to buy a handgun and clips than it is for you to buy a fresh vegetable, as long as that’s the case, we’re going to continue to see unnecessary violence” Obama said at the town hall meeting Friday afternoon.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Full quote:

“As long as you can go in some neighborhoods and it is easier for you to buy a firearm than it is for you to buy a book, there are neighborhoods where it is easier for you to buy a handgun and clips than it is for you to buy a fresh vegetable, as long as that’s the case, we’re going to continue to see unnecessary violence” Obama said at the town hall meeting Friday afternoon.
That is from a while back, not today. I am confused.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
That is from a while back, not today. I am confused.
Don't think he said the vegetable part today, he did repeat the gun is easier to buy than a book though. Guess he decided to make that line a permanent part of his never let a tragedy go to waste policy

Jiggyfly

Banned
The scary part is the whole thing is an escalating situation. White officer shoots black man during investigation. So then black people start acting more hostile during investigation encounters. Which then causes officers to approach investigation with black men as hostile in advance. Wash, rinse and repeat. The situation just sort of gets worse and worse.

I wish people would stop injecting race into the issue but clearly it is too late for that now. I think the insertion of race into the issue is what really causes things to escalate. I also despise the fact that people need to feel like they have to pick a side. Like you either support black lives matter or blue lives matter. It's ridiculous. No one is right when innocent people are being murdered and I don't think you should be valuing one innocent person's life over another.
I agree.

Jiggyfly

Banned

This might be the first thing this man has ever said that I wholeheartedly agree with.
He has said this on various occasions.

cml750

Not So New Member
Classless Obama made a political speech at a funeral. Just when I think he can't get any worse he proves me wrong. Worst president in modern history.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't think he said the vegetable part today, he did repeat the gun is easier to buy than a book though. Guess he decided to make that line a permanent part of his never let a tragedy go to waste policy
Either way that's an embarassing propaganda of a statement if I ever heard one. He is making up outlandish bullshit for an agenda. A president should be above that.

Top Bottom