Aaron Donald vs. Zack Martin

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Who would you rather have right now, Aaron Donald or Zack Martin?

I always kind of link these two in my mind because Donald was a guy who I really wanted during that 2014 draft and I was kind of disappointed when we had to "settle" for another o-lineman.

Both are generally considered the best players at their respective position and are 1st Team All-Pros.

I think I still prefer Donald because Dallas desperately needs a disruptive and consistent pass rusher. But I also have to acknowledge that the arrival of Martin has helped push our OL to a new level and has resulted in a couple of 12 & 13 win seasons.

Yes I'm bored at work.

Last edited:

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Aaron could have been a boost to the defense but Martin is a bona fide star on the OL and siince the current staff leans so heavily on the offense, I'm okay with taking Martin over Donald. They're both elite players in their own right but I personally believe Martin is a once in every twenty years sort of player while Donald is a once in every ten years type. JMO.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I don't think I change status quo. Our OL is what makes our offense elite. Yes, obviously, I want a pass rush, but I think we can still find that.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I don't think I change status quo. Our OL is what makes our offense elite. Yes, obviously, I want a pass rush, but I think we can still find that.
Long term you're probably right but if I could swap the two just for the Packers game I would.

Cotton

Staff member
Long term you're probably right but if I could swap the two just for the Packers game I would.
Oh, absolutely. And, probably not just for the Packers game. For the rest of the playoffs.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Oh, absolutely. And, probably not just for the Packers game. For the rest of the playoffs.
Therein lies the dilemma. Which player would be more impactful in helping the Cowboys get over the hump? I'd have to say Donald.

Cotton

Staff member
Therein lies the dilemma. Which player would be more impactful in helping the Cowboys get over the hump? I'd have to say Donald.
I'm not sure I agree with that. Yes, I would have temporarily traded them last year for a playoff run, but I'm not sure I would trade them long term. But, it is a helluva dilemma, and one I can't 100% decide on.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I think its easier to find an OL that's an impact player vs an impact DL player.

But if I had to pick strictly between Martin and Donald....I'd go with Martin.

But, yeah, if only this team had a couple more horses on D last season, I believe we were SB bound.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
In next year's draft I'd rather have a Donald than a Martin, but there's no way this offense has the success it's had without #70 paving the way.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I'll always take a great defensive lineman over a great guard.

BTW, who else thought this would be about the Week Four matchup?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Donald but both are future HOF'ers.

Donald isn't really a fit in the 3-4, even if it's Phillips, so I'm hoping the Rams refuse to pay him what he deserves (to be the highest paid DL in the league) because of that. And then we go hard as shit after him in 2 years, which you'd have to imagine would be one of the rare situations that we would do so considering that he's a picture-perfect fit for our scheme, young, clearly one of the best in the league and we even loved him coming out in the draft.

data

Forbes #1
I considered the alternative...Instead of Cooper/Martin, it'd be Leary/Cooper. I'd take that with Donald over what we have now.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is anyone taking into consideration that Donald is holding out right now while Martin is out there trying to help the team improve?

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Is anyone taking into consideration that Donald is holding out right now while Martin is out there trying to help the team improve?
Good point.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Another factor is that an offensive lineman can often play well into their thirties and that isn't always the case with a defensive lineman, particularly one that is somewhat undersized to be playing on the inside. I have no regrets over the Zack pick.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I have no regrets over the Zack pick.
I don't think any of us do, and most wouldn't even if we had picked Zack over Donald.

The real question is Tyron Smith or JJ Watt. We could have taken either.

Smith is probably headed to the HOF. JJ might be the best defensive player of all time by the time he's done.

midswat

... soon
And holding out for a huuuuuuuuge contract.

Reminds me of how, years ago in my homer days, I used to say that I was happy taking Ellis over Moss because Moss wanted to be the highest paid receiver in the league right when we were going through cap hell so we would've lost him anyways. I was such a good homer.

Not comparing the talent disparity between Moss/Ellis to that of Martin/Donald, which seem to be on par with each other talent wise.

I'd take Donald, by the way, for reasons others have already mentioned.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I don't think any of us do, and most wouldn't even if we had picked Zack over Donald.

The real question is Tyron Smith or JJ Watt. We could have taken either.

Smith is probably headed to the HOF. JJ might be the best defensive player of all time by the time he's done.
It comes down to either/or but it's a done deal. I'll take Smith all day long because he seems to be more of a team player and guys on the OL can't use many stats as leverage towards a new contract. There is pancake blocks but I don't think fans pay as much attention to stats like those these days. I like that Tyron signed that extension a few years back that makes him a relative bargain until the 2020's for his position. By the time he's past his peak, he won't have the team in salary cap hell.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
And holding out for a huuuuuuuuge contract.

Reminds me of how, years ago in my homer days, I used to say that I was happy taking Ellis over Moss because Moss wanted to be the highest paid receiver in the league right when we were going through cap hell so we would've lost him anyways. I was such a good homer.

Not comparing the talent disparity between Moss/Ellis to that of Martin/Donald, which seem to be on par with each other talent wise.

I'd take Donald, by the way, for reasons others have already mentioned.
Ellis was mediocre but consistently so and his prime years were mostly under mediocre head/defensive coaches.

Top Bottom