Jason Witten has New Collegiate Award Given in His Name

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jason Witten has New Collegiate Award Given in His Name
By Lauren Scullion - August 16, 2017
Share on Facebook Tweet on Twitter

A new collegiate-level award will be given annually in Jason Witten’s name beginning this fall.

Dallas Cowboys veteran tight end Jason Witten has another award officially attached to his name. This year, Sports Information Directors from each NCAA Division 1 school will be given the opportunity to nominate student athlete’s that exhibit the highest of leadership qualities.

According to the award website:

“Presented annually to the Division I college football player who has demonstrated a record of leadership by exhibiting exceptional courage, integrity and sportsmanship both on and off the field. The award honors the type of exemplary character and commitment to community, family and teammates demonstrated by Jason Witten, the 2012 NFL Walter Payton Man of the Year and one of the most prominent role models in the game.

Nominees are gathered from the Sports Information Directors of each NCAA Division I football-playing institution. Three finalists are selected by the award’s board of directors, and the winner is selected by a panel of prominent former players and coaches, as well as members of the college football media.”

The criteria for the award are as follows:

The winner of the award will have $10,000 donated to his school’s athletic scholarship fund in his name, which will be funded by Witten’s SCORE Foundation.

Witten stated in regards to the award in a press release:

“I am proud to be associated with the Collegiate Man of the Year,” stated Witten. “It is my hope that this honor will encourage and inspire the next generation of student-athletes to not only perform at a high level on the field, but to use the platform to make a positive impact on campus and in the community.”

Charlotte Anderson, Executive Vice President of Branding for the Dallas Cowboys, also commented on the award being attached to Witten’s name. “There is no more appropriate person in our sport–at any level–to have his name associated with an award that represents character, dignity, service to others and responsibility than Jason Witten. This award will honor the standard that Jason has set for leadership, both on and off the field, and it will serve as an inspiration to football players for generations to come.”

Top Bottom