Archer: Jack Crawford showing he has staying power on Cowboys DL

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jack Crawford showing he has staying power on Cowboys DL
1:36 PM CT

Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas – When Jack Crawford signed a one-year deal to remain with the Dallas Cowboys, it was met with something of a shrug.

With a big pass-rushing need, fans wanted something more than Crawford, who had a career-high four sacks last season, or Benson Mayowa (from free agency), who has two career sacks. But as the Cowboys close in on the start of the 2016 season, Crawford is looking like the lead candidate to start at left defensive end.

Crawford started the preseason opener against the Los Angeles Rams at defensive tackle with Terrell McClain slowed by injury. With David Irving slowed by a groin injury, Crawford started at left defensive end against the Miami Dolphins.

“You put him anywhere he’s going to find a way to be effective,” linebacker Sean Lee said.

More than any other Cowboy, Lee knows what Crawford can do since they were teammates at Penn State. Crawford joined the Cowboys before the 2015 season started after being cut by the Oakland Raiders. He played in six games because of a calf strain and broken thumb.

Last season he played in every game and the coaches credited him with 18 tackles, four sacks, three tackles for loss and 10 quarterback pressures. He tested the free-agent market, but opted to remain with the Cowboys.

“I always kind of sensed an opportunity,” Crawford said. “In this system, we rotate so much that you get so much playing time. Regardless if you’re a rookie or if you’re new to the system, you’re going to be in the game. I felt that immediately as soon as I got here that I played more than I did when I was back in Oakland.”

The versatility to play all four spots along the defensive line certainly helps. While he is better suited for left defensive end or the under tackle spots, he is passable at nose tackle and right defensive end.

“I’m so used to it now,” Crawford said. “The system that we play in you can play different spots. They’re pretty relatable, defensive end and three technique, so there’s not much changeup.

According to the press box stats this preseason, Crawford has just a half tackle, one quarterback pressure and one fumble recovery, but it does not match up with the eye test that says Crawford has been disruptive,

“I felt like I’ve been able to get into the swing of things,” Crawford said. “I know Sept. 11 is coming soon, so it’s time you start seeing a lot more different plays and a little bit different things. But this has been a good start.”

It might be better than a good start. It might lead to a lot of starts.

“He goes 100 miles an hour in practice, 100 miles an hour in the game, can play a lot of different spots,” coach Jason Garrett said. “He plays the right way, plays with the right kind of demeanor and is a great example to his teammates. He’s one of those guys [who] shows you that if you play that way, you can be productive in this league. He’s around the quarterback a lot, makes plays in the running game, and so much has to do with the preparation he has and just how he plays once the ball is snapped.”

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yea, I mean this guy is pretty good. No clue why we almost let him walk for nothing but whatever.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yea, I mean this guy is pretty good. No clue why we almost let him walk for nothing but whatever.
I was surprised he got so little attention from other teams he is a at least a good depth rotational guy.

Top Bottom