Time to come clean: Are you voting for Donald Trump?

Time to come clean: Are you voting for Donald Trump?

• Total voters

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Right now I think the election hinges on what the FBI has on Hillary and whether they will have the freedom to release and recommend their findings.

2233boys

Not So New Member
Right now I think the election hinges on what the FBI has on Hillary and whether they will have the freedom to release and recommend their findings.
Trump doesn't stand a snowballs chance in hell in winning the election. He is quite possibly the most unqualified candidate in our lifetimes.

If Hillary is indicted, Bernie, Biden or Warren run in her place, he will get beat worse.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Trump doesn't stand a snowballs chance in hell in winning the election. He is quite possibly the most unqualified candidate in our lifetimes.

If Hillary is indicted, Bernie, Biden or Warren run in her place, he will get beat worse.
I don't believe I mentioned Trump. My comment was directed at how Hillary will be effected.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Let's have a, look at the modern day Presidents.
Harry Truman. Inherited an office and a war. Did okay.
Dwight Eisenhower. No political experience. He did okay.
John K Kennedy. Political experience. Didn't finish a term before assination

Lyndon Johnson. Experienced politician. Led country into a bloody Viet Nam.
Richard Nixon. Experienced politician. Forced to resign or be impeached.
Gerald Ford. Experienced politician. Couldn't get elected to a term in office.
Jimmy Carter . Experienced politician. Brought about highest inflation rate in history.
Ronald Regan . Experienced politician. He did okay.
George HW Bush. Experienced politician. He did okay.
Bill Clinton. Experienced politician. Was impeached.
George W. Bush. Experienced politician. Created severe budget deficit.
Barack Obama. Inexperienced politician. Terms not yet defined by history.
So how do experienced politicians get a favored nod as best qualified?

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He owned the New Jersey Generals of the USFL back in the day. The "big splash" signing was Herschel Walker. I seem to remember Doug Flutie playing there as well but I can't remember if that was before or after he sold off his interest in the team. He eventually sold them to some oil guy. (Sound familiar?)
He was one of the primary reasons the USFL failed.

Jiggyfly

Banned

Jimmy Carter . Experienced politician. Brought about highest inflation rate in history.
What does any of that have to do with anything.

You are using you opinion to decide if a president is ok or not.

I noticed you left out Eisenhower and the Korean War so should that be a knock?

And What about t Reagan and Iran-Contra issue or Clinton balancing the budget?

townsend

Banned

I think this is grossly over simplified. Ike was a general, and his greatest challenge was foreign policy. Having large scale military leadership is a big big plus. Experience in the governorship is not nearly as applicable, since working with congress and serving as commander and chief are not part of the the governorship. There's plenty of governors who got the job despite being world class boobs. Frankly I think Clinton, Carter, And Bush struggles quite a bit having to learn this stuff in office.

Meanwhile George HW and Ike managed to have interventions that turned out alright. LBJ made a lot of poor decisions trying to coninue JFK's legacy. I'm pretty grateful Hillary won't be put into a similar situation, because I could see her making a similar mistake.

Bottom line, Truman, Ike, and HW were all more prepared to assume the position of commander and chief of the armed forces, and managed to admirably navigate the position. Barack, W Bush, Clinton, and Carter had some pretty tough growing pains in Libya, Iraq, Bosnia, and Iran respectively.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think this is grossly over simplified. Ike was a general, and his greatest challenge was foreign policy. Having large scale military leadership is a big big plus. Experience in the governorship is not nearly as applicable, since working with congress and serving as commander and chief are not part of the the governorship. There's plenty of governors who got the job despite being world class boobs. Frankly I think Clinton, Carter, And Bush struggles quite a bit having to learn this stuff in office.

Meanwhile George HW and Ike managed to have interventions that turned out alright. LBJ made a lot of poor decisions trying to coninue JFK's legacy. I'm pretty grateful Hillary won't be put into a similar situation, because I could see her making a similar mistake.

Bottom line, Truman, Ike, and HW were all more prepared to assume the position of commander and chief of the armed forces, and managed to admirably navigate the position. Barack, W Bush, Clinton, and Carter had some pretty tough growing pains in Libya, Iraq, Bosnia, and Iran respectively.
It's not about an evaluation of presidents. It's whether being an experienced politician made them an better qualified. These are just bullet points with an indication that their past experiences didn't automatically make them a success in office. You have over analyzed.

Last edited:

Kbrown

Not So New Member
2233 never said anything about political experience. He said Trump's unqualified.

Which he is, because he's a hotheaded douche and a phony with no actual convictions.

townsend

Banned
It's not about an evaluation of presidents. It's whether being an experienced politician made them an better qualified. These are just bullet points with an indication that their past experiences didn't automatically make them a success in office. You have over analyzed.
I'll admit to being over analytical it's in my nature. But the point was, all political experience is not equal. There's a reason why Carter and Reagan were considered political outsiders.

We've really changed the definition of what an antiestablishment candidate is. Guys like Carson and Trump (and Herman Cain from the last cycle) weren't just inexperienced in politics, they were people with very little understanding of the macroeconomic, political, and diplomatic knowledge that the least of the president's staffers should have a reasonable command of.

Romney probably wouldn't have been considered an establishment candidate in the 90s, he was an ex governor from a liberal state, that sounds more like Reagan than HW Bush.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
:zzz:zzz:zzz
I'll admit to being over analytical it's in my nature. But the point was, all political experience is not equal. There's a reason why Carter and Reagan were considered political outsiders.

We've really changed the definition of what an antiestablishment candidate is. Guys like Carson and Trump (and Herman Cain from the last cycle) weren't just inexperienced in politics, they were people with very little understanding of the macroeconomic, political, and diplomatic knowledge that the least of the president's staffers should have a reasonable command of.

Romney probably wouldn't have been considered an establishment candidate in the 90s, he was an ex governor from a liberal state, that sounds more like Reagan than HW Bush.
Ho Hum.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
He was one of the primary reasons the USFL failed.
Oh, I know. He's nowhere near the businessman that some people think he is. If he didn't have his popular at the time reality TV show for awhile(Never watched it), most people outside of the tri-state area would even know who he was.

Jiggyfly

Banned
You are cherry picking things to equate success vs nonsuccess.

And you are using your bias to define what success is.

Top Bottom