Brexit

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are the one who made the laughable assumption that just a little of the taxes they saved could cover everything they get in federal aid.
No my exact words were that if they had even a small percentage of that they would be flush with cash. Meaning Texas would have a lot more money to add to their budget. Which is absolutely true.

Jiggyfly

Banned
So you're determining annual funding by number of disaster designations?

You must have missed this part for that period of time "Although Texas leads the way in declared disasters during this time period, it lags in total dollars received from FEMA with about $20 million.":lol
I was only pointing out that Texas leads yearly in federal disater declarations, they are consistently at the top of the list.

But how much disaster aid is doled out to the states each year?

It's probably not a surprise to hear that Tornado Alley states require the most federal aid annually. Topping the list is Texas, which has had the most major disasters (88) in the nation since 1953, according to FEMA.
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/10-states-most-natural-disasters-6C10088195

1. Texas
Within the Lone Star State's nearly 267,000 square miles (second only to Alaska in size), at least one major disaster is declared nearly every calendar year. Texas has dealt with tornadoes, floods, wildfires and regular coastal hurricanes. One of the deadliest and costliest in recent decades was Hurricane Celia, which tore up Corpus Christi in 1970. The storm left 13 dead and destroyed millions of dollars' worth of property.

Major disaster declarations since 1953: 86

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yeah, and failed to highlight the part that proved you wrong.
I admit I missed that.

But that does not change the fact that since 2003 those numbers have reversed.

http://www.politifact.com/texas/statements/2011/apr/22/rachel-maddow/msnbc-host-rachel-maddow-says-texas-routinely-rece/

Eva DeLuna Castro, a budget analyst at Austin’s Center for Public Policy Priorities, which advocates for moderate- to low-income Texans, told us Texas started receiving more federal funds in the last decade because of an increase in military spending, tax cuts and tax credits and a modest growth in federal health spending — not to mention a spike in social services and aid every time a hurricane hit.

"Texas is definitely getting back way more than people in Texas are paying in taxes," she said. "So do a lot of other states. Texas isn’t unique in that."

In 2009, most states — there were 45, including Texas — received more than residents paid in taxes. Though no data is yet available, DeLuna Castro said Texas will again receive more than residents paid in taxes in 2010. But by 2011, when stimulus funds dry up, she speculated that Texas will revert to being a "donor state."

Summing up: The figures from our sources show two different trends. On an annual basis between 1981 and 2003, Texas almost always paid more in federal taxes than it got back from Uncle Sam. But since 2003 the reverse has been true, with Texas receiving more than it paid in five out of seven years, which is close to routine.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Texas is a huge state with tornadoes and hurricanes.

Tell us something else we didn't know.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Jiggyfly

Banned
Ah, so when you say they receive more federal disaster relief then any other State, you didn't mean in terms of money? Because I would think that is the barometer I'd use to judge it.
What?

If a state is routinely in top 5 of disaster relief and has the most MAJOR disaster declarations since 1953 it would also stand to reason they have received more federal disaster releief money over that time.

Jiggyfly

Banned

But by 2011, when stimulus funds dry up, she speculated that Texas will revert to being a "donor state."

That would be 5 years ago. So, we apparently back to paying more in than what we get back.
That was speculation and since the oil crash I don't see how that could be true.

I have not been able to find any numbers since 2012 so it is debatable.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What?

If a state is routinely in top 5 of disaster relief and has the most MAJOR disaster declarations since 1953 it would also stand to reason they have received more federal disaster releief money over that time.
For the exact reason that your article pointed out. Texas has 75 disasters during that period of time while other states had far fewer. But the states that led in actual funding received weren't the ones at the top of that list. It was actually Kentucky, Arkansas and Missouri. Texas is a big state which leads to many disasters but that doesn't mean their disasters actually require a lot of funding.

Jiggyfly

Banned
For the exact reason that your article pointed out. Texas has 75 disasters during that period of time while other states had far fewer. But the states that led in actual funding received weren't the ones at the top of that list. It was actually Kentucky, Arkansas and Missouri. Texas is a big state which leads to many disasters but that doesn't mean their disasters actually require a lot of funding.
No the initial article had 75 disasters for that one year.

Since 1953 Texas has had 88 major disasters, those other states don't have major disasters as much as Texas.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Another issue that needs to be looked at is what happens to a school like Texas Tech and other schools that depend on state and federal funding.

You know that money is going to be funneled to UT and A&M before going elsewhere.

Cotton

Staff member
That was speculation and since the oil crash I don't see how that could be true.

I have not been able to find any numbers since 2012 so it is debatable.
Every bit of that was speculation. There were no numbers to back up what she said in that text. So, you either take it all as speculation or all of it as truth.

Cotton

Staff member
Another issue that needs to be looked at is what happens to a school like Texas Tech and other schools that depend on state and federal funding.

You know that money is going to be funneled to UT and A&M before going elsewhere.
God damn, you need to learn to read. I've already addressed this. Texas colleges' funding only involve a 10% stake from the feds. I'm sure we can make up that 10% fairly easily.

Jiggyfly

Banned
God damn, you need to learn to read. I've already addressed this. Texas colleges' funding only involve a 10% stake from the feds. I'm sure we can make up that 10% fairly easily.
Federal funding is different for each school I have seen figures from 13% to 22%.

http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/reports/PDF/1744.PDF

How do you replace the federally backed loans fo students?

What about Pell grants?

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/economic-diversity

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Wow, Jiggy is being Jiggy again.

Jig- Texas has the most major disasters therefore must get most federal aid. Fact- no we don't.
Jig - That isn't what I said, I said most major disasters. Uh, it is what you said.
Jig - Well it would stand to reason! Could be, but no it still isn't the fact.

Well, something else that needs to be looked at......

:picard :lol

Top Bottom