Brexit

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Absolutely not. Absolutely not. Our state is run by morons, the last thing they need is them being allowed to operate outside of the constraints of the constitution.
We have one of the best economies in the nation. Without an income tax. I don't agree with this at all.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Absolutely not. Absolutely not. Our state is run by morons, the last thing they need is them being allowed to operate outside of the constraints of the constitution.
Considering our country is led by morons who have little respect for the constitution there probably isn't much difference. Plus Texas has a state constitution which they would have to operate within the constraints of.

townsend

Banned
Considering our country is led by morons who have little respect for the constitution there probably isn't much difference. Plus Texas has a state constitution which they would have to operate within the constraints of.
Good politics is about dividing power. The Supreme Court rightfully overturned the state trying to outlaw abortion. Federal involvement has been a core part of sustaining citizens rights in this state. Yes there are plenty of blind spots the people in DC have too, but at least somebody but I trust them more than Abbot, Paxton, and Stewart who shouldn't be trusted to run a Denny's franchise.

Cotton

Staff member
Good politics is about dividing power. The Supreme Court rightfully overturned the state trying to outlaw abortion. Federal involvement has been a core part of sustaining citizens rights in this state. Yes there are plenty of blind spots the people in DC have too, but at least somebody but I trust them more than Abbot, Paxton, and Stewart who shouldn't be trusted to run a Denny's franchise.
They weren't trying to outlaw abortion. Don't be dramatic to try to make your point sound better.

townsend

Banned
They weren't trying to outlaw abortion. Don't be dramatic to try to make your point sound better.
Call a spade a spade they were trying to regulate it so intensely that it would be impossible to practice abortion in the state. In the same way blue states have outlawed guns. The obscene and useless red tape they have been forcing on abortion clinics was a transparent attempt to outlaw. Any other assertion is dishonest or naive.

Cotton

Staff member
Call a spade a spade they were trying to regulate it so intensely that it would be impossible to practice abortion in the state. In the same way blue states have outlawed guns. The obscene and useless red tape they have been forcing on abortion clinics was a transparent attempt to outlaw. Any other assertion is dishonest or naive.
Nope. And, I'm neither naive nor dishonest.

townsend

Banned
We have one of the best economies in the nation. Without an income tax. I don't agree with this at all.
Our CPS system is letting kids die, our highways (which used to be the best in the country) are falling apart, our public education is horrid, and we're just about to see campus carry legalized, so an active shooter situation can Be even more confusing and deadly.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
we're just about to see campus carry legalized, so an active shooter situation can Be even more confusing and deadly.
:lol

I don't know much about the other stuff in Texas but you're kidding on this right? You actually think having citizens able to defend themselves in a shooting situation is actually a bad thing? Now who is being naive?

Cotton

Staff member
Our CPS system is letting kids die, our highways (which used to be the best in the country) are falling apart, our public education is horrid, and we're just about to see campus carry legalized, so an active shooter situation can Be even more confusing and deadly.
:picard

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

Jiggyfly

Banned
You may be joking, but I have really started leaning towards supporting that thought. Especially the way this election season has gone.
:dunce

Have you actually looked at how that would impact the state to do this?

Especially now that gas prices are down and will always be volatile?

Last edited:

townsend

Banned

I don't know much about the other stuff in Texas but you're kidding on this right? You actually think having citizens able to defend themselves in a shooting situation is actually a bad thing? Now who is being naive?
Just last night a group of teenagers were going through our science building (UTA does some kind of camps or something during the summer) one decided to yell "Get down on the ground!"

Me and a couple other guys (also vets) got up and walked down the hallway with the unspoken agreement that we'd bum rush any kind of active shooter. Luckily we just found weary, apologetic camp counselors.

Can you imagine how badly that could have gone if someone had decided to respond who was wielding a gun? Best case scenario we attack a guy who was trying to help.

How the fuck will people be able to tell good guys from bad guys. Now there will just be multiple gunmen to run from or attack in these situations.

townsend

Banned
I swear some people are so busy jerking themselves off to a Lone Ranger fantasy, where the bad guy wears a black hat, they don't understand the logistics of how multiple plain clothes gun weilders could make a those situations impossible to navigate.

townsend

Banned

Imagine how closing every military base in the state would affect the state. Big Spring took decades to recover from losing their base. San Antonio, Abilene, and Killeen are all incredibly dependent on those bases. But like Brexit it's not about understanding, it's about old fools ruining things out of spite.

Cotton

Staff member

Of course there would be logistical shit to work out. Do you think we would just one day go, "Welp, I'm out." and walk off? It would take some serious planning. But, it is absolutely doable.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Imagine how closing every military base in the state would affect the state. Big Spring took decades to recover from losing their base. San Antonio, Abilene, and Killeen are all incredibly dependent on those bases. But like Brexit it's not about understanding, it's about old fools ruining things out of spite.
Exactly.

People do not put any thought into the real world ramifications.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Of course there would be logistical shit to work out. Do you think we would just one day go, "Welp, I'm out." and walk off? It would take some serious planning. But, it is absolutely doable.
Planning?

I am talking about real world issues, what happens to all of the people who lost their jobs from this latest energy crash.

You can't have a sustainable flourishing nation that is built upon a volatile thing like oil and gas.

What happens to your job when colleges don't have access to federal funds?

What percentage of you departments budget is federal?

What happens if Mexico decides they want to take Texas back who is paying for a Texas military?

You do know your taxes would be much higher to pay for all of this.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Me and a couple other guys (also vets) got up and walked down the hallway with the unspoken agreement that we'd bum rush any kind of active shooter.
Did the stewardess serve you guys extra portions while the crowd applauded? It's not that I don't believe you, but could you give me the number to Jane at True Value so she could ratify this story? Thanks.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
How the fuck will people be able to tell good guys from bad guys. Now there will just be multiple gunmen to run from or attack in these situations.
You realize that people walk down the street every day with concealed carry licenses? Yet that's basically never an issue?

However we have mass shootings and killings in "gun free zones" like the recent Orlando tragedy. On the flip side of that, a guy was just stopped in South Carolina who was shooting at a club by a victim who had a concealed carry who defended himself. So yeah, I think you're theory on this is crazy.

Top Bottom