NBA Chatter Thread

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know if he's advocating it, but I don't see Ingram as a lesser talent. Better shooter and defender.
This has been my opinion. I think Ingram is a better talent but at worst they are on a similar level. Why not get the guy whose skill set fits what you need as opposed to the guy whose skill set doesn't if you're basically getting one of the 2 elite level talents of the draft at the same time?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
What is the point here? That the Sixers should have drafted a lesser talent?
No, my point is that he is a terrible shooter, which is the topic geng and I were discussing. Geng thought I was overexaggerating his struggles, I disagree. Does that clarify the situation for you?

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
It will be interesting to see in a couple of years if Simmons is that much better than Ingram.
For now he got the short end of the stick ending up in Philly...

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It will be interesting to see in a couple of years if Simmons is that much better than Ingram.
For now he got the short end of the stick ending up in Philly...
How did he get the short end of the stick?

Philly has Simmons, Embiid*, Okafor, Noel, and Saric. Add to that two more probable lottery picks next year in a deep draft (including the rights to a pick swap with Sacramento which means 2 shots at 1 overall), with one or both maybe top 5. Then they have the unprotected rights to Sacramento's pick in 3 years.

Philly has a bright future if the GM doesn't fuck it up.

Genghis Khan

Mighty big if lately...
Are we not talking about a franchise that made an art form of tanking? So much so the NBA decided to take over?
It's a different GM so none of that is relevant. That phase is over.

As far as the tank, it looks like it worked. This team should be loaded in a couple years.

As far as the league stepping in, they shouldn't have. And, they had no reason to. The Sixers sucked on purpose, it's not like they didn't know how to run the franchise. If the league didn't like the Sixers taking advantage of the rules as they were, then change the rules.

But if the league wanted the Sixers to flounder in mediocrity forever, they could go fuck themselves.

I'm pretty passionate about this subject. :unsure

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't know if he's advocating it, but I don't see Ingram as a lesser talent. Better shooter and defender.
It was pretty much damn near unanimous that Simmons was considered a better prospect.

D

Deuce

Some writer for Hoops Magazine was on ESPN radio earlier talking about the draft. He came up with some analytics approach to judge college and international players since the level of competition is so different in different countries and levels of leagues. Long story short, he says based on the numbers the international C that Boston grabbed with their last 1st round pick should have been picked 1st overall. :lol

So basically what I'm saying is, FACE!

Carp

DCC 4Life
I look at Simmons and he is pretty well developed, but just his frame can carry much more weight. Ingram can play right now, no doubt, but slight guys like him concern me. Just seems to lend itself to ankle and feet issues.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
ESPN is quoting multiple sources & friends of Durant saying that there's a 90% chance that he returns to OKC.

If OKC can bring back Durant and add Horford I think they leapfrog the Warriors in the west.

OKC starting 5 would be:

PG: Westbrook
SG: Oladipo
SF: Durant
PF: Horford
C: Adams

For the first time in franchise history they would have a starting 5 full of 2-way players. No more hiding players on guys like Roberson. With that starting 5 you have to play everyone honest.

Genghis Khan

The oladipo trade was a coup.

I'd like to see kd stay in okc because it probably means the warriors match any offer for Barnes, which means the Sixers don't stupidly max him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The oladipo trade was a coup.

I'd like to see kd stay in okc because it probably means the warriors match any offer for Barnes, which means the Sixers don't stupidly max him.
Yeah, I don't get the Magic, that move was dumb for them.

D

Deuce

Yeah, I don't get the Magic, that move was dumb for them.
I don't think so. They traded a perimeter wing defender for an interior defender. This allows them to match Ibaka with Vucevic who offers nothing defensively and still have some sort of rim protector. They have plenty of wing defenders and they need to bring in a wing scorer with their plethora of funds.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think so. They traded a perimeter wing defender for an interior defender. This allows them to match Ibaka with Vucevic who offers nothing defensively and still have some sort of rim protector.
They got older and lost their best perimeter player who was finally coming into his own. I agree that the Magic needed toughness and defense inside but they are a young team that just got older and less talented. Lets not forget they gave up their first round pick too.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
They got older and lost their best perimeter player who was finally coming into his own. I agree that the Magic needed toughness and defense inside but they are a young team that just got older and less talented. Lets not forget they gave up their first round pick too.
Why do you keep saying the Magic got older as if Ibaka is in his 30's. He's only 26. He hasn't entered his prime yet.

As for his interior defense, his numbers and effectiveness on defense has declined sharply. I don't know if it's because more PFs are playing away from the basket or if his defensive decline was due to him being a bit disgruntled with his dwindling role on offense. I think the Magic are banking on the latter.

I could see that being the case. It's not uncommon for players to play harder on defense when they know they're going to get their touches on offense.

Last edited:
D

Deuce

1big gave you my answer for Ibaka, but I would also add that Oladipo was never coming into his own. He's a nice player who can compliment goo players but he'll never be one that will carry you. On a bad team like Orlando, that's doesn't get you very far. Similar comments could be said about Ibaka, but at least he fills a void for their biggest weakness. As for the 1st round pick, anything outside the top 3-5 is typically worthless. They picked 11th. The chances of them getting a starter and impact player like Ibaka has been is minimal.

Genghis Khan

1big gave you my answer for Ibaka, but I would also add that Oladipo was never coming into his own. He's a nice player who can compliment goo players but he'll never be one that will carry you. On a bad team like Orlando, that's doesn't get you very far. Similar comments could be said about Ibaka, but at least he fills a void for their biggest weakness. As for the 1st round pick, anything outside the top 3-5 is typically worthless. They picked 11th. The chances of them getting a starter and impact player like Ibaka has been is minimal.
I get that your chances of finding impact players outside the top 5 are greatly diminished, but you can't use that as an excuse to get Ibaka and say the 11th pick is worthless when Ibaka himself was drafted 24th.

Top Bottom