Archer: With Dirk Nowitzki set to test free agency, could Jason Witten do same?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
With Dirk Nowitzki set to test free agency, could Jason Witten do same?
9:33 AM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- Dirk Nowitzki officially opted out of his contract with the Dallas Mavericks on Tuesday, which will make him a free agent on July 1.

Most believe Nowitzki will return to the Mavericks for at least a 19th year if not on a multiyear deal but there could be suitors for the 13-time All-Star. At the least there will be courtesy calls and one could reportedly come from the Golden State Warriors.

Why are we talking about Nowitzki on the Dallas Cowboys blog?

Jason Witten is why.

Witten turned 34 in May. He is the franchise leader in receptions. He is 689 yards away from being the leader in receiving yards. He has missed one game in his career and has played in a franchise-record 203 straight games. He is one of 13 players in NFL history with 1,000 catches. He has played in 10 Pro Bowls. He won the Walter Payton Man of the Year Award in 2012.

But he and Tony Romo, who joined the Cowboys together in 2003, are still waiting for their first chance at a Super Bowl. Nowitzki won his championship in 2011.

Nowitzki has said the decision to leave the Mavericks would be easier without a title and the only way he would really consider leaving would be if the organization committed to a major rebuilding project. That’s not something owner Mark Cuban wants to do.

Witten led the Cowboys in receptions last year. By the look of his offseason work this spring, he is Nowitzki-like in that he doesn’t look like he’s slowing down.

Witten is signed through 2017. It would be his 15th season with the Cowboys, tying him for most in team history with Ed “Too Tall” Jones, Bill Bates and Mark Tuinei. He could also set the record for most games played in team history. (Jones is the leader at 224; Witten has so far played in 207 games.)

To many, Witten is Mr. Cowboy. This generation’s Bob Lilly.

At minicamp, Witten was asked if he could ever leave the Cowboys to chase a championship, especially after seeing longtime teammate DeMarcus Ware win one with the Denver Broncos last season.

“No, I really wouldn’t and I think it wouldn’t be fair if I would approach it that way,” Witten said. “I’m all-in here. With the group of guys I get to do it with, especially this organization … I mean, Mr. [Jerry] Jones has allowed every opportunity and dream of ours to be reality so there’s a commitment and loyalty there that you want to bring that back here. Circumstances played out differently for DeMarcus and I’m happy for him because he’s one of the great guys and great players and great teammates, but I couldn’t see myself doing it anywhere else besides here.”

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
No chance unless this is Romo's last season and Witten wants to sign a 1 year deal with the Patriots, Cardinals or some such, which I doubt he'd do anyway.

Assuming Romo plays another 2-3 years Witten will be 36-37 when Romo is done and I can't see him bothering with signing a 1 year deal at that age.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Archer for the first 11 paragraphs: Nowitski could leave Dallas (but probably won't), might Jason Witten?

Witten: Nah.

data

Forbes #1
Witten goes to Arizona and pulls a Jackie Smith in the Super Bowl. The irony.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
“I’m all-in here. With the group of guys I get to do it with, especially this organization … I mean, Mr. [Jerry] Jones has allowed every opportunity and dream of ours to be reality so there’s a commitment and loyalty there that you want to bring that back here.
What is that? The paycheck?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I wish the guy would go play with Brady or Rodgers, but he's a faithful soldier......to a fault.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Of course he is going to say that.

I am just saying the team needs to do the right thing.
If he was hindering the team, I'd be all for letting him go.

But he gets it and hopefully the young guys pick up on his dedication.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I wish the guy would go play with Brady or Rodgers, but he's a faithful soldier......to a fault.
Getting away from the Jones' is step one. Finding a real organization with a strong QB in place committed to winning and not feeding their own egos is next.

Top Bottom