Williams: Barry Church says Jaguars “have a lot more talent” than Cowboys

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
[h=1]Barry Church says Jaguars “have a lot more talent” than Cowboys[/h] Posted by Charean Williams on July 28, 2017, 3:52 PM EDT

Safety Barry Church signed with the Cowboys as an undrafted free agent in 2010. He started 63 games in his seven seasons in Dallas, including 12 last season when he was voted a team captain for a team that finished 13-3.

But Church left the Cowboys in the offseason, signing a four-year, $26 million deal with the Jaguars.

In five months, Church has come to the conclusion that the Jaguars have more talent than the Cowboys. He didn’t go as far as teammates Malik Jackson and Calais Campbell in predicting a Super Bowl run for his new team, but Church obviously has faith the Jaguars can do at least as well as the Cowboys did last season.

“The culture is pretty much the same [in Jacksonville as in Dallas],” Church said in quotes distributed by the team. “We have a real close group like we did in Dallas. We have a real close group here. We had a real close group, but I was just a little bit younger when I was in Dallas. I feel like we have a lot more talent than we did over there. We just have to keep plugging away and get ready for Week 1.”

And it took Church only two training camp practices to determine the Jaguars practice harder than the Cowboys.

“It is a lot more demanding [than the Cowboys],” Church said. “A lot more periods. I think we had about 18 today. Back on my old team we probably had about 12 or something like that. Like coach said, there are a lot of new players in here. The coaching staff is trying to figure out who fits where. We need a lot of periods, and we need all that to get the chemistry down. We are just working on that and getting ready.”

The Jaguars have won a combined 11 games the past three seasons and have not made the playoffs since 2007, though they enter 2017 brimming with confidence.

midswat

... soon
I hate Church and the Jaguars are literally the most irrelevant franchise in the league. Honestly... you could disband that team and zero tradition would be lost and hardly any fans would give a shit.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
:yawnee

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
More talent than our defense? That isn't saying much.

Funny how much harder they practice than us, though.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I remember Ware saying there was a "night and day" difference when he first went to Denver

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

Quality > quantity

Besides, they have a new coaching staff. I believe the league allows teams with new staffs to have a few more OTAs and such.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
He's just being cocky because he managed to find a team that would sign his overrated ass and Dallas was willing to let him walk. He probably would have said the same thing if he had signed with the Browns or Jets.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

He didn't say just defense.

But when you're on one of the worst teams in football I guess you have to tell yourself that your team doesn't suck just so your life isn't meaningless.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
If we had Bortles, we'd be the Jags.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
On paper the Jags defense is definitely better, at least as far as their front line talent goes.

Malik Jackson, Calais Campbell, Ngakoue and Fowler are pretty legit on the DL, Telvin Smith at LB is nice and Bouye/Ramsey could be the best CB duo in the league in the next year or two. The problem is that all this is on paper, nobody knows how much intensity and motivation guys like Campbell and Bouye will play with after signing huge deals and their depth is no better than ours and probably worse, especially on the DL.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
On paper the Jags defense is definitely better, at least as far as their front line talent goes.

Malik Jackson, Calais Campbell, Ngakoue and Fowler are pretty legit on the DL, Telvin Smith at LB is nice and Bouye/Ramsey could be the best CB duo in the league in the next year or two. The problem is that all this is on paper, nobody knows how much intensity and motivation guys like Campbell and Bouye will play with after signing huge deals and their depth is no better than ours and probably worse, especially on the DL.
Yeah I don't know that their defense is that terribly more talented than ours but on paper you could make that argument.

There is no person in this universe though who believes the Jags offensive talent is in the same stratosphere as ours. TE, WR, RB, O-line and QB. I'll take ours over all of theirs and by a wide margin on most of those.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Depth is underrated generally.

D

Deuce

How dare you insinuate that AJ Bouye is not a consummate professional and only out for a payday.

Top Bottom