Williams - Terrance Williams hoping for bigger, better 2016

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Cowboys receiver Terrance Williams hoping for bigger, better 2016

BY CHAREAN WILLIAMS
cjwilliams@star-telegram.com

FRISCO - Terrance Williams didn’t have the kind of year he or the Cowboys hoped for last season.

With Dez Bryant missing seven games and hobbled for the other nine, Williams had career highs in catches with 52 and yards with 840. But he set career lows in average (16.2) and touchdowns (three).

Now in the final year of his rookie deal, Williams is scheduled to become a free agent after this season.

“I try not to worry about that, and I think a lot of people have said a lot this year and since I’ve been here,” Williams said Tuesday during Reliant’s fifth annual Home Run Derby benefitting The Salvation Army. “Now, I’m just ready to be quiet and work and let my play speak for it, because you can always talk what you’re going to do and then if it doesn’t go as planned, it’s like a slap to your face. So I’m just ready to work and just show my play.”

Williams has proved a solid second receiver to Bryant, averaging 41 catches for 679 yards and seven touchdowns in his first two seasons. Bryant expects to return fully healthy after offseason surgeries on his foot and ankle.

“Dez has been working his butt off the whole time and me, him and Beas [Cole Beasley] and us getting the chemistry back together,” Williams said. “It’s going to help us out tremendously [having Bryant back].”

marsbennett

Brand New Member
It's hard to give him too much hell after the passers he had to deal with last year. But then again, what have you done for me lately?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It's hard to give him too much hell after the passers he had to deal with last year. But then again, what have you done for me lately?
Williams will not be a standout on this team. He hasn't mastered clearing a long route and it takes him too long to recognize when to break off a pattern. Bryant and Beasley will dominate the short and intermediate patterns so Williams will not have a lot of opportunities.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
He made absolutely huge plays for us in 2014, most notably the 70ish yard TD right before halftime against Detroit in the playoffs to cut it to 14-7. He also had a 30 or so yard TD against the Packers the next week and of course the huge 3rd and 15-20 conversion against Seattle.

The guy is a legit number 2 when he has Dez to soak up coverage and Romo at QB. Even without Dez I'm guessing he'd give us decent production as long as Romo is playing. He isn't a number 1 by any definition but I think we could definitely get through a few games with him/Beasley/Butler and Witten with our running game as long as Romo is healthy.

People were pissed because he didn't step up last year but the fact that he's only a good number 2 doesn't mean you just throw him out with the bathwater. If he plays next year like he did in 2014 I'd consider bringing him back depending on what is going on with Romo's health, whether or not Butler progressed and his contract demands of course. He's definitely replaceable but if he isn't too expensive and Romo doesn't die on the field he'd be worth bringing back on a 3-4 year deal.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He made absolutely huge plays for us in 2014, most notably the 70ish yard TD right before halftime against Detroit in the playoffs to cut it to 14-7. He also had a 30 or so yard TD against the Packers the next week and of course the huge 3rd and 15-20 conversion against Seattle.

The guy is a legit number 2 when he has Dez to soak up coverage and Romo at QB. Even without Dez I'm guessing he'd give us decent production as long as Romo is playing. He isn't a number 1 by any definition but I think we could definitely get through a few games with him/Beasley/Butler and Witten with our running game as long as Romo is healthy.

People were pissed because he didn't step up last year but the fact that he's only a good number 2 doesn't mean you just throw him out with the bathwater. If he plays next year like he did in 2014 I'd consider bringing him back depending on what is going on with Romo's health, whether or not Butler progressed and his contract demands of course. He's definitely replaceable but if he isn't too expensive and Romo doesn't die on the field he'd be worth bringing back on a 3-4 year deal.
I think people are justified in wanting this guy to take the next step in his career. He's been stuck in the same mode he was in as a rookie.

I think every WR makes big plays sooner or later, especially with a crowded and talented group like Dallas fielded in 2014. Where was the weakness in Williams' supporting cast? Tyler Clutts?

At that point you start comparing with the best offenses in the league (and even all-time), and what consistently kept the 2014 Cowboys out of that conversation was the lack of strength at #2 WR.

That same year, Golden Tate not only stepped up when Calvin Johnson was hurt-- he dominated. This the kind of pro everyone wishes Williams could mature into. He stretched the field for them in 2014 and kept the chains moving in 2015-- basically whatever the Lions needed.

With Romo back, it's not enough for Williams to contribute occasionally and then only on deep routes. He should be a veteran leader.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I think people are justified in wanting this guy to take the next step in his career. He's been stuck in the same mode he was in as a rookie.

I think every WR makes big plays sooner or later, especially with a crowded and talented group like Dallas fielded in 2014. Where was the weakness in Williams' supporting cast? Tyler Clutts?

At that point you start comparing with the best offenses in the league (and even all-time), and what consistently kept the 2014 Cowboys out of that conversation was the lack of strength at #2 WR.

That same year, Golden Tate not only stepped up when Calvin Johnson was hurt-- he dominated. This the kind of pro everyone wishes Williams could mature into. He stretched the field for them in 2014 and kept the chains moving in 2015-- basically whatever the Lions needed.

With Romo back, it's not enough for Williams to contribute occasionally and then only on deep routes. He should be a veteran leader.
I think a lot of that is at the feet of Garrett and Linehan. Williams could definitely do a better job of keeping the ball away from his body and a few other aspects to his game. Still, it was obvious last year we don't scheme to get players open in this 30 years out of date offense they way they do in places like New England and Pittsburgh. Some crossing routes and pick plays for Williams, Witten and Beasley could have gone a long way towards moving the ball in Romo and Bryant's absence. Unfortunately we have the least creative offense in the league and it's absolutely dependent on winning one-on-one battles at every position.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think a lot of that is at the feet of Garrett and Linehan. Williams could definitely do a better job of keeping the ball away from his body and a few other aspects to his game. Still, it was obvious last year we don't scheme to get players open in this 30 years out of date offense they way they do in places like New England and Pittsburgh. Some crossing routes and pick plays for Williams, Witten and Beasley could have gone a long way towards moving the ball in Romo and Bryant's absence. Unfortunately we have the least creative offense in the league and it's absolutely dependent on winning one-on-one battles at every position.
I agree with that and its at the heart of why Williams struggles a lot. He either hasn't been schooled on when to ad lib or he just doesn't have this aspect of his game developed. Every now and then when the QB scrambles he reacts from that and pulls off a play. He just doesn't seem however, to recognize when to break from the route and get into a separation mode.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I agree with that and its at the heart of why Williams struggles a lot. He either hasn't been schooled on when to ad lib or he just doesn't have this aspect of his game developed. Every now and then when the QB scrambles he reacts from that and pulls off a play. He just doesn't seem however, to recognize when to break from the route and get into a separation mode.
Williams is Romo's greatest ad lib target, he is the guy Romo usually looks for when he starts scrambling, especially in the redzone.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Williams is Romo's greatest ad lib target, he is the guy Romo usually looks for when he starts scrambling, especially in the redzone.
I think that's exactly what I said. When Romo scrambles Williams picks up on it but he doesn't seem to recognize when to break of a pattern or get separation otherwise.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
In previous years it was Robinson or Crayton. Romo in ad lib mode finds whoever can shake free. That's usually the guy in single coverage.

shane

DCC 4Life
He's good opposite a healthy Dez. It still remains to be seen if he can develop into anything more than that. He's still young so I haven't thrown the towel in on him yet considering he has shown some potential.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I think he makes it to 1000 yards and 8 TDs and then some other team will overpay the hell out of him. Could be worth a good comp pick in 2018.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think he makes it to 1000 yards and 8 TDs and then some other team will overpay the hell out of him. Could be worth a good comp pick in 2018.
This is how I feel. Probably a guy who gets between 800-1000 yards this season. Another team will see that and think they can make him into a legit #1. I think Williams is very good in his current role opposite Dez as sort of a deep or big play threat who doesn't require a ton of balls his direction. But I wouldn't pay big money for that and it's the type of role that a rookie WR would probably be able to fill.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We might have made a mistake not taking a WR in this draft. I don't know if Williams is worth a second contract.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
We might have made a mistake not taking a WR in this draft. I don't know if Williams is worth a second contract.
I think we'd be fine with a Dez/Butler/Beasley/2nd-4th round pick at WR going into 2017 as long as Romo is still playing.

Top Bottom