Emmitt Smith on all-time ranking: My stats speak for themselves

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Exactly. People that say they would rather have Barry Sanders on their team than Emmitt Smith are either just looking for a reaction or are retarded. Sanders was a wonderfully gifted runner, but there are probably ten guys I'd rather have than him on my team carrying the ball. There is much more to the position of RB than just flash.
If you wanted a true workhorse, of course you take Emmitt.

If you want to make the run game your thing, well, he is the guy to go with after you get the line. It is not about one making the other. There is synergy.

But a lot of people seem to try to take the player out of the environment and think things change.

Brady is The GOAT.

Without Belichick and that stable system around him, not so much.

It is a bit of a pointless exercise.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Barry was more exciting to watch, which is sad in a way because Emmitt was also very exciting to watch.

Somehow Emmitt's OLs from mid 1991 to 1995 paint every OL Barry ever ran behind as "sad" despite pro-bowlers like Lomas Brown having blocked for him.

69, 44, 169, -1, 40, 65. Those are Barry's playoff rushing totals. Not so great when everyone on good teams is keying on you. In that first game, his stats are padded as he had a breakaway TD against us late in a blowout win.

Here are Emmitt's:
105, 80, 114, 114, 18, 60*, 88*, 132**, 44*, 74*, 99, 150, 49*, 116, 80, 74, 99
*injured, played anyways
** 30 carries, Superbowl MVP

Oh yeah, did Barry ever carry his team on his back in a physical battle battling through injury to win his division like Emmitt did in 1993 vs LT, Strahan and the Giants? I seriously doubt it.

They kept hitting Emmitt, they separated his shoulder and he kept getting up. That broke the Giants as much as anything else.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Emmitt still did pretty damn good after the 'Great Wall of Dallas' wasn't so great anymore. And let's not kid ourselves. I know it's popular to think Barry was doing it all on his own, but he had a pretty darn good Oline himself. Not to mention a prolific passing attack to keep defenses from just stacking up against the run.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Emmitt still did pretty damn good after the 'Great Wall of Dallas' wasn't so great anymore. And let's not kid ourselves. I know it's popular to think Barry was doing it all on his own, but he had a pretty darn good Oline himself. Not to mention a prolific passing attack to keep defenses from just stacking up against the run.
Not really that factual. Sanders had Lomas Brown who went to five Pro Bowls, a two time Pro Bowler in C Kevin Glover and a bunch of JAGs.

And this prolific passing attack was gimmicky with no QB you will ever remember.

Emmitt never ran on a team that had Erik Kramer or Scott Mitchell as a QB.

You cannot put either on an even playing field and then claim one is better than the other.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Here we go. Thanks, middie. Asshole.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Not really that factual. Sanders had Lomas Brown who went to five Pro Bowls, a two time Pro Bowler in C Kevin Glover and a bunch of JAGs.

And this prolific passing attack was gimmicky with no QB you will ever remember.

Emmitt never ran on a team that had Erik Kramer or Scott Mitchell as a QB.

You cannot put either on an even playing field and then claim one is better than the other.
Pretty much. Barry was well on his way to shattering Payton's record despite playing behind an inferior line. Had they switched teams, Barry would have been even better (scary thought) and Emmitt worse. Not that we're complaining about the way things turned out.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Barry and Emmitt had different running styles as well. Barry would dance/juke behind his line until he saw daylight and then he was off to the races. Emmitt was more of a straight line, find a crease and hit it type of runner. Both had superior short area quickness but Barry had better long speed. One of the reasons Emmitt fell to Dallas was because he wasn't a burner if you went strictly by his 40 times but Emmitt would put the entire team on his back at times. Emmitt also benefited from above average downfield blocking. MI, Novacek and Alvin Harper were all good run blockers.

data

Forbes #1
Barry and Emmitt had different running styles as well. Barry would dance/juke behind his line until he saw daylight and then he was off to the races.
Well, that's the biggest variable in this debate. Barry had battered-girlfriend syndrome with Detroit's OL, causing him to dance more than he would've like. Supposedly Barry with the Cowboys OL would've been a more straight-line hit the hole runner, producing less negative yardage runs with less dancing behind LOS trying to create/wait for a hole to open. You have to believe that this is true - less negative yardage runs with Dallas' OL.

Much like many here claim Aikman could've been a prolific passer, but the system didn't call for it, Barry with Dallas OL would've been more confident/trusting the hole-by-design would be there and would be more north-south.

Even with Dallas OL, though, I still think Barry is a more boom-or-bust runner than Emmitt. Emmitt was content with 2nd and 8 whereas Barry would've put us in more 2nd and 12. However, I think Barry would've yielded more +10 yard runs and 25+ yard runs. Would his higher rate of home runs create more points or 2nd and 12s stall more drives?

Another big question is how Barry would do with Dallas OL inside the 5-yard line.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Well, that's the biggest variable in this debate. Barry had battered-girlfriend syndrome with Detroit's OL, causing him to dance more than he would've like. Supposedly Barry with the Cowboys OL would've been a more straight-line hit the hole runner, producing less negative yardage runs with less dancing behind LOS trying to create/wait for a hole to open. You have to believe that this is true - less negative yardage runs with Dallas' OL.

Much like many here claim Aikman could've been a prolific passer, but the system didn't call for it, Barry with Dallas OL would've been more confident/trusting the hole-by-design would be there and would be more north-south.

Even with Dallas OL, though, I still think Barry is a more boom-or-bust runner than Emmitt. Emmitt was content with 2nd and 8 whereas Barry would've put us in more 2nd and 12. However, I think Barry would've yielded more +10 yard runs and 25+ yard runs. Would his higher rate of home runs create more points or 2nd and 12s stall more drives?

Another big question is how Barry would do with Dallas OL inside the 5-yard line.
I didn't consider Barry as a great runner in goal line situations myself. Again, he was at his best when he had plenty of open space and goal line formations are generally more compact unless you run a spread formation. I do think that Barry would have been more successful running behind Dallas' OL in those days than Emmitt would behind Detroit's but the Dallas OL in those days was truly dominant. Detroit's wasn't comprised of a bunch of schmucks but they were not at the level of the line in Dallas in those days.

Sometimes I believe that Emmitt benefited from his OL more than Barry benefited from his.

It's kind of a circular discussion when you get right down to it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
For me , in the final analysis Emmitt accomplished something no one else couuld or chose to do therefore the title belongs to the one who owns the record.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Two reasons, he was perceived as being a beneficiary of what was the NFL's possibly best offensive line ever, and also perceived in his prime as being inferior to Barry Sanders.

I don't think Rice had anyone who could even compare to him until the 90s came around.

Plus there's some media anti Cowboy bias.

FWIW I do not think Smith is the greatest RB ever but he's up there.
When I hear someone say that I tell them to go look at the numbers of the other Cowboys RBs of that era.

Pretty much every Cowboys RB not named Emmitt Smith averaged less than 4 ypc behind that same OL.

Did the OL help? Absolutely. But it's comical when people say anyone could have ran for 1,000 yards behind those OLs.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
When I hear someone say that I tell them to go look at the numbers of the other Cowboys RBs of that era.

Pretty much every Cowboys RB not named Emmitt Smith averaged less than 4 ypc behind that same OL.

Did the OL help? Absolutely. But it's comical when people say anyone could have ran for 1,000 yards behind those OLs.
I don't think anyone says that. We had some pretty pedestrian runners back up Emmitt in those years.

data

Forbes #1

Yet few bitch about the "Awesome OL!!! Affect" with Terrell Davis. Didn't stop him from being a HOFer despite essentially 9 consecutive seasons of 1,000 yard backfields with Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Reuben Droughns, Selvin Young/Travis Henry and Tatum Bell following Davis' departure.

data

Forbes #1
For me , in the final analysis Emmitt accomplished something no one else couuld or chose to do therefore the title belongs to the one who owns the record.
Cant refute Emmitt is the legitimate record holder (ahem, Strahan), but does this record make Emmitt the greatest of all-time?

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
can't remember how Barry did as a receiver or blitz pickup guy. Emmitt did both very well.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Yet few bitch about the "Awesome OL!!! Affect" with Terrell Davis. Didn't stop him from being a HOFer despite essentially 9 consecutive seasons of 1,000 yard backfields with Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Reuben Droughns, Selvin Young/Travis Henry and Tatum Bell following Davis' departure.
Talk about an overrated RB... For me that's Davis. Not that people put him in that top-5 all time group or anything (that I've seen), but still. Like you said, he really was a system guy.

Cotton

Staff member
can't remember how Barry did as a receiver or blitz pickup guy. Emmitt did both very well.
That's why I say you can't use strictly stats in a lot of cases when judging best ever at a position. In this case, it just so happens Emmitt has the most yards, but most yards doesn't always tell the whole story.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cant refute Emmitt is the legitimate record holder (ahem, Strahan), but does this record make Emmitt the greatest of all-time?
Is the greatest all time the RB one you'd want most in his prime for one season? Or is it a guy you want for his entire career most? I mean that's the real question. Other RBs have been more dominant when looking at it in terms of just one season. Emmitt tops the list because not only was he dominant but he carried it over the length of a long career for a RB.

I mean shit AP has been the most impressive back for the last decade but injuries have sort of prevented his career numbers from being off the chart.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I don't think anyone says that. We had some pretty pedestrian runners back up Emmitt in those years.
Trust me PLENTY of people have said that. Not necessarily on this board, but on other message boards and during casual football conversations I've had throughout the years, there are people out there who seriously think that a guy like Derrick Lassic could have run for 1,300 yards behind Dallas' OL.

I'm shocked you've never heard that. Maybe I just happen to attract the football idiots. Which could explain how I ended up on this board. :unsure

Cotton

Staff member
Trust me PLENTY of people have said that. Not necessarily on this board, but on other message boards and during casual football conversations I've had throughout the years, there are people out there who seriously think that a guy like Derrick Lassic could have run for 1,300 yards behind Dallas' OL.

I'm shocked you've never heard that. Maybe I just happen to attract the football idiots. Which could explain how I ended up on this board. :unsure
Yeah, I have run across that sentiment quite a few times, and it's still just as ridiculous.

Oh, and as an aside.... _|_

Top Bottom