La'el Collins extended...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Interesting that it's only 2 years and not longer.

So I guess that means he has three years left total... this year and two more. So the 2017, 2018, and 2019 seasons, then he's a UFA after the 2019 season.

peplaw06

Brand New Member
I like the move... Team didn't have to do it, and they risked pissing him off if they made him play out the string on his UDFA deal when he should have been a 1st rounder. I seem to remember Jerry saying something to the effect that he told La'el when they were receuiting him that if he was a good boy he would make good on his contract.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Time to wreck shit.

Big E II

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like the move... Team didn't have to do it, and they risked pissing him off if they made him play out the string on his UDFA deal when he should have been a 1st rounder. I seem to remember Jerry saying something to the effect that he told La'el when they were receuiting him that if he was a good boy he would make good on his contract.
Yep, and I think we made some type of a deal originally with him that we wouldn't tender him when he became a restricted free agent. So it basically meant that this season would be the last year of his deal. I'm glad we locked him up before it got too pricey. It makes me feel confident that 4 of our 5 elite level O-lineman are going to be in place for the next 3 seasons. (Martin is up in 2018 but it's a forgone conclusion in my book that we extend him).

Smitty

DCC 4Life
In retrospect, it's probably compensating him fairly similarly to how he would have been paid as a first or second round pick.

He got like the minimums his first three years, but then 15 million over the last two?

So that's a total of like 5 years, 18 million? Probably similar to a mid-20's pick who has his fifth year option picked up.

My guess is that this was a wink wink arrangement for a long time now.

Jerry probably promised to make good on what essentially would have been a first round contract/5th year option if he signed here, once we were clear of prying eyes for undermining the rookie cap.

midswat

... soon
Awesome signing. I give it an A+.

data

Forbes #1
Can't deny that Mr. Jones doesn't back his players, even to a fault. In this instance, this is an advantage.

Carp

DCC 4Life
In retrospect, it's probably compensating him fairly similarly to how he would have been paid as a first or second round pick.

He got like the minimums his first three years, but then 15 million over the last two?

So that's a total of like 5 years, 18 million? Probably similar to a mid-20's pick who has his fifth year option picked up.

My guess is that this was a wink wink arrangement for a long time now.

Jerry probably promised to make good on what essentially would have been a first round contract/5th year option if he signed here, once we were clear of prying eyes for undermining the rookie cap.
I have to compliment you for taking thoughtful internal dialogue, that really says nothing, and posting it.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I have to compliment you for taking thoughtful internal dialogue, that really says nothing, and posting it.
I don't think it "says nothing" to point out that Jerry is essentially making good on the first round contract that Collins lost out on, nearly to the dollar.

We could have tried to nickle and dime him as a RFA, since we retain his rights.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't think it "says nothing" to point out that Jerry is essentially making good on the first round contract that Collins lost out on, nearly to the dollar.

We could have tried to nickle and dime him as a RFA, since we retain his rights.
Eh...it is just another wink wink nudge nudge conspiracy conspired by Jerry. Essentially we got him for nothing...so how this somehow circumvents the rookie cap means nothing...we got a good, possibly great young tackle for very cheap.

Top Bottom