Cowboys cut Lucky Whitehead after reported arrest

p1_

DCC 4Life

By Around The NFL staff NFL.com
Published: July 24, 2017 at 06:53 p.m.

The Dallas Cowboys have cut wide receiver Lucky Whitehead on the same day police in Virginia announced he is facing misdemeanor petty larceny charges stemming from an arrest in June.

However, Whitehead's agent, told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport that Whitehead was not in Virginia at the time of the incident. Furthermore, Rapoport reported on Inside Training Camp Live that he reviewed Whitehead's flight records from the day he was reportedly arrested. The flight records indicate Whitehead flew to Dulles International Airport in Dallas only six hours after his arrest.

Prince William County Police told NFL.com a man identified as Whitehead was arrested on June 22 around 1:30 a.m. ET after being accused of shoplifting less than $200 worth of merchandise from a convenience store in Woodbridge, Virginia. Police responded to a call made by a convenience store employee, who said Whitehead ran out of the store without paying for some merchandise. Police located Whitehead in the parking lot and arrested him a short time later.

Whitehead failed to show up for his scheduled arraignment on July 6 and a warrant was issued for his arrest, per Prince William County General Court records. He has another court hearing scheduled for August 10.

When asked about the arrest by reporters after training camp practice Monday, Whitehead responded, "I didn't even know about that."

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said he learned about Whitehead's arrest while on the practice field Monday and met with him briefly.

Whitehead is entering his third season with the Cowboys out of Florida Atlantic. Last season, he recorded three catches for 48 yards.

Around The NFL will have more on the Cowboys cutting Whitehead soon.

p1_

DCC 4Life

By Around The NFL staff NFL.com
Published: July 24, 2017 at 06:53 p.m.

Furthermore, Rapoport reported on Inside Training Camp Live that he reviewed Whitehead's flight records from the day he was reportedly arrested. The flight records indicate Whitehead flew to Dulles International Airport in Dallas only six hours after his arrest.
Uh, Dulles is in DC...

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Uh, Dulles is in DC...
I was watching NFLN while Rapaport was starting to tell the story about how it wasn't Lucky and then Lucky Whitehead has been cut flashed across the chyron and they cut him off :lol

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Makes sense. And hopefully that will scare some guys a little. Granted it won't scare the top notch players because they know if they get cut they will sign somewhere else tomorrow. But the vast majority of the team are players who can't afford to be cut for their shenanigans.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Makes sense. And hopefully that will scare some guys a little. Granted it won't scare the top notch players because they know if they get cut they will sign somewhere else tomorrow. But the vast majority of the team are players who can't afford to be cut for their shenanigans.
Exactly. Whitehead's a niche player who really couldn't afford to piss away this opportunity. He very well may have played his last game in the NFL.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Well, they saved a little organizational dignity for once.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I was watching NFLN while Rapaport was starting to tell the story about how it wasn't Lucky and then Lucky Whitehead has been cut flashed across the chyron and they cut him off :lol
:lol

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
There had to have been more then. He was in the hunt for that roster spot, and this is the second day of TC.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
probably more pissed that he kept it secret, making it possible to be blindsided by the press.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
probably more pissed that he kept it secret, making it possible to be blindsided by the press.
Well, it is clear he lied. That is what this is about.

He didn't tell them shit and then tried to play it off and it did not sit well.

Serves the purpose all the same.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
he killed the early "good buzz" surrounding training camp, and he was expendable, so ....

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, it is clear he lied. That is what this is about.

He didn't tell them shit and then tried to play it off and it did not sit well.

Serves the purpose all the same.
Lucky Whitehead would be the leader of the dipshits probably on this team. I think he was more of a problem then just this arrest. He used to do Snapchats for the Cowboys and he seemed like a guy that took nothing serious.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I'm not bothered by his release. He was a non-football player, anyway. So his being a dumb shit only encourages his being cut.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
On top of it his timing couldn't be worse with all the suspension talk surrounding other Cowboy players and potential concerns regarding enough roster spots for the WR's they want to keep.

He just gave Garrett an easy target.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Regardless of roster makeup or niche player, etc. if he is a thief he doesn't need to be on the team. That should be the management position for every player.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That's my guess. And also more like... dude... how could you not know you had court?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
He wasn't really in any hunt for a spot without a couple injuries.
I agree that he didn't really have a chance to maintain his roster spot, but he absolutely would have been in the competition to keep it.

Top Bottom