Smokers and BBQs

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I'm looking to buy an offset smoker and would like some suggestions from anyone who owns one. I'd like to keep it under $1,000 if at all possible. Are there any brands / makes / models that I should consider?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I have an Old Country from Academy that I've been happy with. Think I paid around $500. It's the cheapest welded smoker I know of. Horizon pits are nice and iirc they have one or two models right around a grand if you have a Bass Pro near you. Yoder or Lyfetyme are really nice and pretty sure both have a backyard model under $1000 but shipping may kill it for you from them.

dallen

Senior Tech
It isn't an offset smoker, but I just got this upright Masterbuilt over Memorial Day weekend: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Masterbuilt-30-in-Electric-Smoker-20072115/206055736. So far it has been great.

2 weeks ago I smoked some chicken and ribs and then this past weekend I made smoked salmon and also some smoked wings and ABTs. I know people get prickly about charcoal, but I like the consistent heat level you can get out of an electric.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It isn't an offset smoker, but I just got this upright Masterbuilt over Memorial Day weekend: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Masterbuilt-30-in-Electric-Smoker-20072115/206055736. So far it has been great.

2 weeks ago I smoked some chicken and ribs and then this past weekend I made smoked salmon and also some smoked wings and ABTs. I know people get prickly about charcoal, but I like the consistent heat level you can get out of an electric.
I have an electric smoker, as well. I love it. But, to remain true to my upbringing, I also have a horizontal wood smoker, as well. I can't remember the brand of my horizontal, but will look tonight and post it.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

I've got that same electric without the window and it's been great for smaller cooks when I don't feel like tending a fire.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
You're talking about spending big money on a smoker, Plan9.

Seems like [MENTION=16]Playmaker[/MENTION] had a fancy set up. It's been awhile since the BBQ thread was kicking.

I learned how to smoke on a 22" Weber grill, but have recently purchased an offset barrel grill from Home Depot. It was a cheapy in BBQ'ers terms, but expensive to me at $300. I've found that it doesn't hold the heat as well as the Weber. On the Weber I could smoke a brisket for 15+ hours with less than a bag of charcoal and wood. With the bigger grill it takes much more. Part of the reason for that, I'm sure, is that it isn't nearly as air tight as a high dollar smoker would be.

So my advice would be to find a product that is as air-tight as possible. That way you can dictate the heat and airflow using just the two vents.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
This thread is like reading a foreign language. I'm getting flashbacks to 9th grade Spanish class.

data

Forbes #1
For ribs, you remove the membrane or just slice it in several spots?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
You're talking about spending big money on a smoker, Plan9.

Seems like [MENTION=16]Playmaker[/MENTION] had a fancy set up. It's been awhile since the BBQ thread was kicking.

I learned how to smoke on a 22" Weber grill, but have recently purchased an offset barrel grill from Home Depot. It was a cheapy in BBQ'ers terms, but expensive to me at $300. I've found that it doesn't hold the heat as well as the Weber. On the Weber I could smoke a brisket for 15+ hours with less than a bag of charcoal and wood. With the bigger grill it takes much more. Part of the reason for that, I'm sure, is that it isn't nearly as air tight as a high dollar smoker would be.

So my advice would be to find a product that is as air-tight as possible. That way you can dictate the heat and airflow using just the two vents.
That's why I asked for advice. Shit models become leaky rust buckets, so I want to make sure that I spend my money wisely. I know that there are quality smokers out there which can run around $300, but I don't know which ones they are.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
That's why I asked for advice. Shit models become leaky rust buckets, so I want to make sure that I spend my money wisely. I know that there are quality smokers out there which can run around $300, but I don't know which ones they are.
Mine probably is a shit model, but I bought a cover for it so it won't become a leaky rust bucket.

Top Bottom