2016 Random NFL Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dallen

Senior Tech
That's always the interesting part. So say that Wentz goes to Philly and fails, I'm sure many people who doubted him will puff out their chest and claim that they were right all along about him. But I always wonder, what if the guy had gone to a different team under different circumstances. If the guy would have succeed say in Dallas, where he failed in Philly? Does that mean the QB is actually bad? Or just that they went into a bad situation. Wentz is a guy who I think will succeed or fail based on the circumstances around him. To me Philly is not a great setup and is looking like a very dysfunctional franchise right now.
The team a QB ends up is very important. Romo would have been run out of the league if he had been forced to start right away. I think Aikman would have never been able to do the things he did if we he didn't have our oline in front of him. What if someone had taught Tim Tebow to read a defense and throw a football? Every once in a while there is a guy like John Elway who can't miss, but that is extremely rare.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
That's always the interesting part. So say that Wentz goes to Philly and fails, I'm sure many people who doubted him will puff out their chest and claim that they were right all along about him. But I always wonder, what if the guy had gone to a different team under different circumstances. If the guy would have succeed say in Dallas, where he failed in Philly? Does that mean the QB is actually bad? Or just that they went into a bad situation. Wentz is a guy who I think will succeed or fail based on the circumstances around him. To me Philly is not a great setup and is looking like a very dysfunctional franchise right now.
I'm not totally sure, but I'm not convinced that's a bad landing spot for a young QB. The head coach and OC are both former NFL QBs, and the QB coach is a former (albeit unsuccessful) OC who may or may not have helped develop Derek Carr.

I guess we'll see.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not totally sure, but I'm not convinced that's a bad landing spot for a young QB. The head coach and OC are both former NFL QBs, and the QB coach is a former (albeit unsuccessful) OC who may or may not have helped develop Derek Carr.

I guess we'll see.
Yeah, although I think their head coach isn't really qualified for the job at all. I was speaking more to the mess of a QB depth chart they have their and the talent they put around the QB. They have a starter in Bradford who wants out and is hated by fans. They have a backup to him they signed in the offseason to a pretty big deal and then they have Wentz who they gave up a lot to get. They have a shitty offensive line, a WR core that frankly sucks and the only RB to speak of gets hurt every other carry. And they have a has been TE who is a shell of his former self. Not really a talent rich offense to surround Wentz.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Report: Dolphins will sign Jason Jones

Posted by Zac Jackson on May 13, 2016, 7:23 PM EDT

The Dolphins plan to sign veteran defensive lineman Jason Jones, NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported Friday.

Jones visited the Dolphins in March and again last month.

Jones has played multiple positions across the defensive line in his eight-year career, which started when the Titans picked him in the second round in 2008. He played the last three seasons with the Lions.

With the compensatory pick threshold for free agents having passed, players like Jones who were still on the market could find new teams quickly.

Jones started 31 games over the last two seasons for the Lions and had 9.5 sacks during that time

Genghis Khan

Eh, Jason Jones would have been a nice stopgap but he's pretty mediocreso I'm glad we didn't overpay for him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The Titans cut Zach Mettenberger. Of course, we are set at QB.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Panthers waive Brandon Boykin.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He must have a bad attitude. The Steelers buried him on their depth chart last year.
Yeah there must be something seriously wrong with that guys personality because he has way too much talent to keep bouncing around like this. Hell, he was barely with the Panthers. Signed and cut in a matter of months during the offseason.

Now Mettenberger I could get into. I think he is better then any QB on our roster not named Romo. Big guy with a great arm and great accuracy. Fits perfect in our offense.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The Titans cut Zach Mettenberger, but kept Matt Cassel. Even though Mettenberger is way younger and making less money.

Genghis Khan

Eh, Jason Jones would have been a nice stopgap but he's pretty mediocreso I'm glad we didn't overpay for him.
Apparently Jones is getting 1.5 million for 1 year with 1 million guaranteed.

Why wouldn't we do that ? I'd rather have Jones than, say, Jeff Heath.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
The Titans cut Zach Mettenberger, but kept Matt Cassel. Even though Mettenberger is way younger and making less money.

They also kept Alex Tanney over him. No more castoffs at QB, please.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Apparently Jones is getting 1.5 million for 1 year with 1 million guaranteed.

Why wouldn't we do that ? I'd rather have Jones than, say, Jeff Heath.
Jones does not play special teams, it's kind of a apples to oranges thing.

But you have to think Dallas offered close to that.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom