2016 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The thing that really pisses me off is that Texas can do whatever they want. They could be independent but they don't have to as long as everyone is their bitch. That's why I love watching them lose. Fart stain jack wagons.
I don't like your attitude.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Wow man you guys are killing it in recruiting.
Not sure if serious or not but the new staff has been recruiting really well. So far they've also scooped up a 4 star DT and 4 star QB to go with Kaindoh, if they have any small measure of success this year (5 wins would be fine) Durkin will probably start cleaning up.

As an aside, my sister in law dates a guy who started for Texas Tech a few years back so I don't want any more chiding from the TTU fans.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Not sure if serious or not but the new staff has been recruiting really well. So far they've also scooped up a 4 star DT and 4 star QB to go with Kaindoh, if they have any small measure of success this year (5 wins would be fine) Durkin will probably start cleaning up.

As an aside, my sister in law dates a guy who started for Texas Tech a few years back so I don't want any more chiding from the TTU fans.

No really. Your recruiting class is off to a good start.

The boyfriend is probably one amazing guy. Unless he's the 1 out of 1,000,000 that isn't.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I don't mean any offense by this, but what in the hell would motivate a top highschool football player to want to play at Maryland? Hopes of some day being lucky enough to get to 7-6?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't mean any offense by this, but what in the hell would motivate a top highschool football player to want to play at Maryland? Hopes of some day being lucky enough to get to 7-6?
You could say the same thing about any number of schools in the Big 5 who are not traditional powerhouses yet get recruits year after year. It's not like Maryland is destined to never win double digit games just because their name is Maryland, all it takes is the right coach and circumstances and they'll be top 25 in no time.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You could say the same thing about any number of schools in the Big 5 who are not traditional powerhouses yet get recruits year after year. It's not like Maryland is destined to never win double digit games just because their name is Maryland, all it takes is the right coach and circumstances and they'll be top 25 in no time.
Are they local kids? I haven't really paid much attention to their recruiting class.

When is the last time Maryland won double digit games? I guess I should specify, in football. Obviously you guys have had some great basketball teams over the years. I'm guessing it is back in the Ralph Friedgen days?

Jiggyfly

Banned
With the right coach Maryland could be a perennial top 20 team they have some good tradition all be it awhile ago.

There in an attractive area for athletes from from multiple areas and Virginia and the Carolinas could be fertile recruiting grounds.

Also with Under armour blowing up the facilities could be top notch.

If top recruits go to Iowa, Nebraska, West Virginia and VT those same guys could be interested in Maryland.

It is pretty divers and a bit of a party school.
If I had to do it over again I would have went there.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Maryland is thankful.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Are they local kids? I haven't really paid much attention to their recruiting class.

When is the last time Maryland won double digit games? I guess I should specify, in football. Obviously you guys have had some great basketball teams over the years. I'm guessing it is back in the Ralph Friedgen days?
Most of these are, yea, two of them go to IMG in Florida now but they are originally from Baltimore.

Friedgen had more 8+ win seasons than not over his decade or so there, so while Maryland will never be an Alabama, Florida, LSU, Ohio St., Michigan, etc., they can definitely be on that second level of teams like Iowa, UNC, Mississippi St., etc. with the right coach and support from the administration.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
With the right coach Maryland could be a perennial top 20 team they have some good tradition all be it awhile ago.

There in an attractive area for athletes from from multiple areas and Virginia and the Carolinas could be fertile recruiting grounds.

Also with Under armour blowing up the facilities could be top notch.

If top recruits go to Iowa, Nebraska, West Virginia and VT those same guys could be interested in Maryland.

It is pretty divers and a bit of a party school.
If I had to do it over again I would have went there.
Yea the Under Armour connection will be huge, they're already building one of those state of the art facilities that the big powerhouses have which should be a big selling point.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
That's seems like a really off question to ask. There is plenty to go to a school for. Believe it or not college football is popular all over the country. People don't just jump on bandwagons everywhere. Maryland is a recruit rich area and folks have been cheering for the team for generations. It is a good school, obviously some kids have bought into what the coach is selling and so forth. Thousands of kids have the drama playing somewhere each year and not everyone can go or wants to go to Notre Dame or Alabama.

Seems like a duh sort of question.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's seems like a really off question to ask.
To be fair you seem like a really off person because you're a Tech fan...

But is it really that odd of a question to ask how a team that has sucked recently and has limited football tradition is pulling elite players? It's not normal to see a team with the history and tradition of Maryland coming off a god awful 3-9 season having a great recruiting class like they are. I was just curious, that's all. But maybe it's just jealousy as an Iowa fan, it took us having an undefeated regular season to start having a great looking 2017 recruiting class. According to Rivals we have the top DE, a really good 4 * RB from Texas and such.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

But is it really that odd of a question to ask how a team that has sucked recently and has limited football tradition is pulling elite players? It's not normal to see a team with the history and tradition of Maryland coming off a god awful 3-9 season having a great recruiting class like they are. I was just curious, that's all. But maybe it's just jealousy as an Iowa fan, it took us having an undefeated regular season to start having a great looking 2017 recruiting class. According to Rivals we have the top DE, a really good 4 * RB from Texas and such.
Texas gets recruited heavily and some of the kids want to get away from the area for a while. You will probably find Texas kids on half of the rosters in the country.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

haha well I can't deny the first point. Still I had a great point as I've grown up loving Tech and have ties to the school. Some of my kids don't remember living in Libbock but they've been to games and watch them on TV all of their life. Regardless of living 45 minutes away from UT they don't want to go there with those homos.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
haha well I can't deny the first point. Still I had a great point as I've grown up loving Tech and have ties to the school. Some of my kids don't remember living in Libbock but they've been to games and watch them on TV all of their life. Regardless of living 45 minutes away from UT they don't want to go there with those homos.
Well I get that, I don't live in Iowa any longer but any child I have will be a Hawkeye fan.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Mississippi had even more ridiculous classes recently under similar circumstances, although they are in the SEC and Maryland is certainly no Mississippi in terms of atmosphere.

With that said, our new HC was the national recruiter of the year just a couple years ago and he built a pretty ridiculous recruiting staff, including former UVA HC Mike London who pulled 5 stars at Virginia despite them being on about the same tier as Maryland.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mississippi had even more ridiculous classes recently under similar circumstances, although they are in the SEC and Maryland is certainly no Mississippi in terms of atmosphere.

With that said, our new HC was the national recruiter of the year just a couple years ago and he built a pretty ridiculous recruiting staff, including former UVA HC Mike London who pulled 5 stars at Virginia despite them being on about the same tier as Maryland.
Are we still pretending that Ole Miss didn't pay those kids? I don't buy it after that Tunsil stuff.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Are we still pretending that Ole Miss didn't pay those kids? I don't buy it after that Tunsil stuff.
Are we still pretending that there are clean schools in big time college football?

Some are just more egregious than others.

At least the kids Maryland are pulling are locals for the most part, the next time we pull a 5 star from some random place like Illinois (Treadwell) let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom