O.J. Is sprung.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
As anticipated O.J. Simpson has been granted a parole.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Based on the crime he was convicted of it was the right decision. I'm sure that idiot will fuck up again though. Something is wrong with him upstairs.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Based on the crime he was convicted of it was the right decision. I'm sure that idiot will fuck up again though. Something is wrong with him upstairs.
The fact he got locked up for that was karmic retribution for not getting locked up for murder.

Hopefully you are right, he does something else stupid to fuck up his otherwise charmed life.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The fact he got locked up for that was karmic retribution for not getting locked up for murder.

Hopefully you are right, he does something else stupid to fuck up his otherwise charmed life.
I just hope no one else is harmed in the process.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Parole board votes to release O.J. Simpson from prison in October

LOVELOCK, Nev. -- O.J. Simpson was granted parole Thursday after more than eight years in prison for a Las Vegas hotel heist, successfully making his case in a nationally televised hearing that reflected America's enduring fascination with the former football star.

With the ruling, the 70-year-old Simpson, who was convicted in 2008 of an armed robbery involving two sports memorabilia dealers in a Las Vegas hotel room, could be out of prison as early as Oct. 1 after serving the minimum nine years of a 33-year sentence.

When the final vote to grant parole was read after parole commissioners deliberated just over 30 minutes, Simpson lowered his head and then raised it up with a big smile.

Malcolm LaVergne, O.J. Simpson's attorney, and former prison guard Jeffrey Felix traded barbs after the hearing Thursday. During a recess in the hearing, Simpson, LaVergne and another man were caught talking, presumably about Felix.

How O.J. still made lots of NFL money in prison

Here's our calculation of how much money Simpson has earned during his eight-plus years in prison -- potentially more than $600,000 -- which depends on the age in which Simpson elected to begin drawing from his NFL pension

"Thank you, thank you, thank you," an emotional Simpson said while his sister, Shirley Baker, wept and hugged Arnelle Simpson, his daughter.

Then, as he was led down a hall, the former athlete raised his hands over his head in a victory gesture and said, "Oh, God, oh!"

All four parole commissioners cited his lack of a prior conviction, the low risk he might commit another crime, his community support and his release plans, which include moving to Florida.

Simpson appeared before the parole board hearing via video conferencing from Lovelock Correctional Center.

"I've spent nine years making no excuses about anything. I am sorry that things turned out the way they did," Simpson said in his closing remarks during the hearing. "I had no intent to commit a crime. ... I've done my time. I'd just like to get back to my family and friends -- believe it or not, I do have some real friends -- and I tried to be helpful to everybody."

The hearing was chaired by Connie Bisbee, with Tony Corda, Adam Endel and Susan Jackson also in attendance via video conferencing from Nevada Board of Parole Commissioners headquarters in Carson City, Nevada. They voted 4-0 to grant his early release.

Simpson's sentence had been scheduled to end Sept. 29, 2022.

Had a unanimous vote not been reached, Parole commissioners Ed Gray and Michael Keeler, who were monitoring proceedings from Las Vegas, would have weighed in.

Under terms of the parole, Simpson is permitted to drink alcohol, but not to excess. If tests show he has a blood alcohol content of .08 or higher, that will be considered excess.

Simpson, appearing as inmate No. 1027820, was accompanied by lawyer Malcolm LaVergne, prison caseworker Marc La Fleur, close friend Tom Scotto, Baker and Arnelle Simpson.

The same four commissioners watching from Carson City granted him parole during his last public appearance in 2013 on some of his 12 charges, leaving him with four years to serve before reaching his minimum term.

Before the hearing concluded, one of the two memorabilia dealers Simpson robbed, Bruce Fromong, said the former football great never pointed a gun at him during the confrontation, adding that it was one of Simpson's accomplices. Fromong said Simpson deserved to be released so he can be with his children.

"He is a good man. He made a mistake," Fromong said, adding the two remain friends.

O.J. Simpson has been granted early release by a parole board and will leave Lovelock Correctional Center in October after serving nine years -- the minimum time for his 2008 armed robbery conviction. Jason Bean/The Reno Gazette-Journal via AP

Simpson was asked by Endel during the hearing how he would be better off in the community rather than in prison.

"Well, you know, I do have four kids," Simpson said. "I've missed a lot of time with those kids -- like 36 birthdays with my children ... My reputation has always been that I'm open to the public, I'm open to everybody. Right now, I'm at a point in my life where I can spend as much time with my children and my friends.

"... Wherever I've been there's been a crowd. That's not new to me. ... I'm pretty easily approachable. I've dealt with it all my life, and I don't foresee any problem dealing with the public now, at all."

Arnelle Simpson choked back tears as she spoke in defense of her father.

"He's like my best friend and my rock," she said. "And as a family, we recognize that he is not the perfect man, but he is the man and the father that speaks to his overall character, which is to be positive no matter what."

"... On behalf of my family, his friends, we just want him to come home."

Early in the hearing, Bisbee mistakenly read that Simpson recently turned 90 years old before correcting herself, and Simpson seized the opportunity to make a joke.

"Feels like it though," he said as laughter filled the room, helping to break the tension before Simpson was asked to recount his details about what happened during the 2007 armed robbery.

He was convicted of enlisting some men he barely knew, including two who had guns, to retrieve from two sports collectibles sellers some items that Simpson said were stolen from him a decade earlier.

As he did four years ago, Simpson told the parole board he kept a promise to stay out of trouble during his time in prison.

"I'm no danger to pull a gun on anybody," Simpson told the board. "I've never been accused of it in my life. I've never done it in my life."

He later told the board that he completed an "Alternative to Violence" course while incarcerated and believes it should be mandatory for all inmates.

"I'm pretty much a guy who's always gotten along with everybody," he said. "... I've basically spent a conflict-free life."

Simpson has earned sentencing credits and time off for good behavior, cutting his 33-year maximum sentence by more than half. He has requested to live in Florida if he were to be released.

"I could easily stay in Nevada, but I don't think you guys want me here," Simpson joked.

Answered Bisbee with a smile: "No comment, sir."

Capt. Shawn Arruti of the Nevada Division of Parole and Probation said he has reached out to counterparts in Florida prior to the hearing to see if they would agree to supervise him, adding that Florida parole officials have up to 45 days to investigate but the acceptance rate is high when there's family in the area.

The Florida Department of Corrections said in a statement that as long as Simpson "meets all criteria, Florida must accept the transfer."

The 2008 conviction was a new low for Simpson, whose celebrity spanned sports, movies, television and advertising before his fall from grace during his highly publicized murder trial in 1995.

An electrifying running back dubbed "The Juice," Simpson won the Heisman Trophy as the nation's best college football player in 1968 and went on to become one of the NFL's all-time greats.

The handsome and charismatic athlete was also a Monday Night Football commentator, sprinted through airports in Hertz rental-car commercials and built a Hollywood career with roles in the "Naked Gun" comedies and other movies.

All of that came crashing down with his arrest -- for which he was found not guilty -- in the 1994 killings of his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman.

His trial, a gavel-to-gavel live-TV sensation, transfixed viewers with its testimony about the bloody glove that didn't fit and stirred furious debate over racist police, celebrity justice and cameras in the courtroom.

In 1997, he was found liable in civil court for the deaths and ordered to pay $33.5 million to survivors including his children and the Goldman family.

Goldman's family believes Simpson got away with murder in Los Angeles, and many people felt the stiff sentence handed down in Las Vegas wasn't just about the robbery.

Ron Goldman's father and sister, Fred and Kim, were not part of Simpson's parole hearing. A spokesman on Wednesday said the family was apprehensive about how, if Simpson were to be released, it "will change their lives again."

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I just hope no one else is harmed in the process.
He should be a pariah the the rest of his life.

If he gets anywhere close to being "celebrity" things will get ugly again.

He is a sick person.

This is just one of those cases where a well funded murderer gets away from it.

And yes.

Race played a role.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I saw a few minutes of his hearing and it was bizarre. He was almost asserting his innocence, making excuses and acting like this was all a big misunderstanding. You can tell he's *still* used to sweet talking his way out of every situation.

Like booze said, hope he slips up somehow and gets thrown back in jail. As little self-awareness as he shows, there's a good chance it happens.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I saw a few minutes of his hearing and it was bizarre. He was almost asserting his innocence, making excuses and acting like this was all a big misunderstanding. You can tell he's *still* used to sweet talking his way out of every situation.

Like booze said, hope he slips up somehow and gets thrown back in jail. As little self-awareness as he shows, there's a good chance it happens.
That's exactly how I viewed it as well.

What I saw was the same old guy who deflects blame and gets defensive when accused of anything. He just doesn't get it because he never thinks he's in the wrong.

I think the board were inclined to grant him parole because he was over-punished from the beginning, but had that not been the case, I think he very well could have had his parole denied because he doesn't seem all that remorseful and that is the whole point of having a parole hearing.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's exactly how I viewed it as well.

What I saw was the same old guy who deflects blame and gets defensive when accused of anything. He just doesn't get it because he never thinks he's in the wrong.

I think the board were inclined to grant him parole because he was over-punished from the beginning, but had that not been the case, I think he very well could have had his parole denied because he doesn't seem all that remorseful and that is the whole point of having a parole hearing.
Remorse wasn't a factor. I'm by no means a Nevada legal expert but most of it comes down to a report that is done. It's based on age, education level, substance abuse history, prior convictions and behavior in jail. He was basically the ideal candidate for parole under the factors that are considered on those reports. It's not "individualized" the way you may think.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I have voiced my opinion about this fool before. No need for me to rehash.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Hate that he is out, but he was over sentenced in this case to begin with.

townsend

Banned
I read a WaPo article about how F Lee Bailey is broke, disbarred, and working above a salon his hairdresser girlfriend owns. The article pointed to a lot of the legal community turning their back on him because of the OJ case. I think anyone who worked on that case, prosecution, defense, and of course Ido himself, lost all of their credibility.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I read a WaPo article about how F Lee Bailey is broke, disbarred, and working above a salon his hairdresser girlfriend owns. The article pointed to a lot of the legal community turning their back on him because of the OJ case. I think anyone who worked on that case, prosecution, defense, and of course Ido himself, lost all of their credibility.
As well they should have. What they did was terrible.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I don't have much to comment on...I have always felt OJ got away with murder. But the bigger issue is the legal system. He gets away with murder, but yet is sentenced to 33 years in prison for being in the room with other people who pulled weapons. I mean, its just fucked up. Then you have my sons friend, who was killed in a hit and run accident by a drunk driver.

How does a drunk person who runs over a teenager in SC, leaves the kid for dead (he died laying in the ditch close to where he was walking and struck from behind) only serve 6 years in prison, yet OJ does 9 years for ....trying to get his shit back?

Call it karma, call it justice, call it whatever...but the justice system in general is a fucking wreck.

Top Bottom