Archer: Cowboys coaches can't be 'Houdini' when it comes to Rico Gathers

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
If he is a good RB who gives a shit? You're going to use more then one guy. Plus RBs get hurt all the time. Ultimately maybe you can save some cap space by not having McFadden, Morris or Dunbar getting paid.

In the sixth round I just want good players regardless of position.
I agree. We always talk about BPA so it's good to see us do that. The 5th-7th round is such a gamble anyways, might as well take the best players even if it's at a position we're deep at rather than try to force a need pick or target special teams.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree. We always talk about BPA so it's good to see us do that. The 5th-7th round is such a gamble anyways, might as well take the best players even if it's at a position we're deep at rather than try to force a need pick or target special teams.
This is why I think our team is rarely successful in the late rounds. I'm thrilled to see us get away from that this year. When you get a talented player, they can usually find a place on special teams. When you get a really good special teamer, there is no guarantee they will do shit at an actual position.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guys who've moved on to other teams and succeeded.
So we are probably developing them just fine then. Afterall, if they weren't developed they would likely flop on another team. We just aren't actually using them.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
How convenient. Maybe we should blame Pope for our lack of a pass rush, too.
Well that wouldn't make any sense. But Pope is the TE coach and Garrett is the HC over the entire team, including TE's.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Well that wouldn't make any sense. But Pope is the TE coach and Garrett is the HC over the entire team, including TE's.
sar·casm

ˈsärˌkazəm

noun

the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
"his voice, hardened by sarcasm, could not hide his resentment"
synonyms: derision, mockery, ridicule, scorn, sneering, scoffing; irony; cynicism
"well, it's easy to see that she got her biting sarcasm from her mother"

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
So we are probably developing them just fine then. Afterall, if they weren't developed they would likely flop on another team. We just aren't actually using them.
Their success was related to their talent. It's not like we incubated guys off the street into football players for these other teams. These were 2nd round picks.

And isn't using them kind of the reason they're on the team?

We failed to utilize their talent. Other teams used them and in the case of Martellus have continued to use them well.

Simple example, Witten is an average scorer and is in general not known for YAC (amazing de-helmeting play vs Philly aside). Meanwhile in his first year Bennett flashed outstanding potential in an exactly complementary manner, scoring 4 TDs. I can recall his taking a dink pass perfectly in stride to go 20+ yards.

How did we not further exploit that potential the next several years I have no idea.

Fasano did jack shat two years in Dallas and by comparison exploded the next five years in Miami, consistently turning in solid TE numbers including 24 TDs (1 more than Witten).

I fear Gathers just isn't going to get the attention it will take to develop in Dallas.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Both guys will, if anything, end up on the practice squad, and if god forbid they show something during preseason get picked up by another team...
They're not cutting McFadden or Morris, nor is Rico moving in front of even Swain.
For injury replacements and numbers use UDFA, with the picks give me someone that actually has a shot at sticking, Charone Peake had a pretty good shot at kicking Street out of the team for example.
I'm with you. I don't think another RB made any sense.

And I don't know why some are asking why it matters if you're already loaded at a position. We all know it matters because there are obviously only so many roster spots available. And I can't possibly see their keeping five RBs. Even four is kind of a stretch in today's league.

My guess is they're already planning for the practice squad, but if the guy really is that talented, what would keep someone from claiming him?

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
sar·casm

ˈsärˌkazəm

noun

the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
"his voice, hardened by sarcasm, could not hide his resentment"
synonyms: derision, mockery, ridicule, scorn, sneering, scoffing; irony; cynicism
"well, it's easy to see that she got her biting sarcasm from her mother"
I know... it still was a poor attempt at it.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'm with you. I don't think another RB made any sense.

And I don't know why some are asking why it matters if you're already loaded at a position. We all know it matters because there are obviously only so many roster spots available. And I can't possibly see their keeping five RBs. Even four is kind of a stretch in today's league.

My guess is they're already planning for the practice squad, but if the guy really is that talented, what would keep someone from claiming him?
Dallas has six RB's on their current roster, including fullback Rod Smith, which is normal. The Giants have 7, for example.

Let them fight it out to see which two or three don't make it. We may be happy for the depth if we have a serious injury.

Bottom line is Dallas is a run-heavy team and needs 4-5 quality backs for in game and season long depth.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Dallas has six RB's on their current roster, including fullback Rod Smith, which is normal. The Giants have 7, for example.

Let them fight it out to see which two or three don't make it. We may be happy for the depth if we have a serious injury.

Bottom line is Dallas is a run-heavy team and needs 4-5 quality backs for in game and season long depth.
Well first, it really doesn't matter how many are on the roster now, it's how many are on the roster during the season.

Second, I don't count FB as a RB for these purposes. It's a different position.

Third, I just disagree. It's still to be determined if we're really a run-heavy team. That seems to be the plan, but we'll see. And even if we are, I think it'll be like 2014 where one guy gets the majority of the carries -- presumably the guy we just spent the #4 overall on. I don't see enough carries for a fourth RB to justify the draft pick.

I think his only chance is if he's a dedicated special team demon and basically a RB in name only, or if they think Morris doesn't have anything left and is released. Not even sure of his contract details on that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think his only chance is if he's a dedicated special team demon and basically a RB in name only, or if they think Morris doesn't have anything left and is released. Not even sure of his contract details on that.
What if he is just a really good looking RB? Why wouldn't you keep 4 RBs then? It makes no sense to keep Dunbar at this point. Especially since he probably won't be healthy to start the season. So what you're really talking about is either keeping 4 RBs or cutting Morris/McFadden if a 21 year old kid looks really good? If he is good, you just cut one of the oldies at the end of their careers. Or trade one to a team who has an injury during preseason.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Well first, it really doesn't matter how many are on the roster now, it's how many are on the roster during the season.

Second, I don't count FB as a RB for these purposes. It's a different position.

Third, I just disagree. It's still to be determined if we're really a run-heavy team. That seems to be the plan, but we'll see. And even if we are, I think it'll be like 2014 where one guy gets the majority of the carries -- presumably the guy we just spent the #4 overall on. I don't see enough carries for a fourth RB to justify the draft pick.

I think the off season and draft moves pretty much defined that Dallas is gearing up for a run style offense. If for no other reason than a level of protection for Romo.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
What if he is just a really good looking RB? Why wouldn't you keep 4 RBs then? It makes no sense to keep Dunbar at this point.
That would be great by me -- I've always thought Dunbar was incredibly overrated.

But it's the Cowboys braintrust who talk like he's a combination of Darren Sproles and Tony Dorsett.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The point is maximize your talent at RB and evolve past the unsustainable models of 2014 or 1995 where one back did everything.

One or two backs are going to be gone, and it should be the least talented/versatile (or most injured). Every back should be able to catch and block in addition to run.

In the 6th round, no GM should be afraid to add the most talented players they can find at any position, especially RB on a run-heavy team. Jackson can make a name for himself on ST's like Terrell Davis had to if need be.

We all know Dunbar can't do STs and can't block, so he has to be in the crosshairs.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That would be great by me -- I've always thought Dunbar was incredibly overrated.

But it's the Cowboys braintrust who talk like he's a combination of Darren Sproles and Tony Dorsett.
They are the same people who talked like Romo has 5 years left and then turned around and tried to trade into the first round to draft Paxton Lynch. They say one thing until something better comes along.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
They are the same people who talked like Romo has 5 years left and then turned around and tried to trade into the first round to draft Paxton Lynch. They say one thing until something better comes along.
Always go with what they do not what they say. Talk is cheap with the management but the actions are what really shows the actual direction of the organization.

Top Bottom