7 NFL sophomores who will become stars in 2016

Jiggyfly

Banned
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/7-nfl-sophomores-who-will-become-stars-in-2016/ar-BBsY5WA#page=1

Byron Jones, FS, Dallas Cowboys

Jones was a Swiss Army Knife for the depleted Cowboys last season, playing every position in the secondary from boundary corner to free safety. Barring significant injuries to his teammates, Jones won't be forced to move around as much this season. The Cowboys have declared him as a free safety going forward, where he's going to thrive. Despite failing to record an interception, Jones showed range and instincts roaming center field a year ago, where he'll find himself full-time as a sophomore. He's not a big hitter, but he should find himself with three-plus picks in 2016.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
When did people start using the term "boundary corner" in pro football?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
When did people start using the term "boundary corner" in pro football?
Not a new term.

Teams either have slot or boundary now.

Like uh, since, you know, you can never have enough corners.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
It's funny because slot corner is kind of a misnomer anyway, if he's in the slot, he's not on the corner. Should be called a slotback as opposed to a cornerback if you're naming positions based on where they line up.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's funny because slot corner is kind of a misnomer anyway, if he's in the slot, he's not on the corner. Should be called a slotback as opposed to a cornerback if you're naming positions based on where they line up.
Nickel back then.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I get that slot corner is different, but the outside guys have always been called, well, just that -- outside corners. Or just cornerbacks.

Boundary corner has always been a college term, to differentiate the guy playing the narrow side of the field from the field corner who plays the wider area of the field. Of course that's not an issue in the pros with narrower hash marks.

Oh well. Seems to me the football people and draft gurus have to come up with new lingo every few years to make themselves sound more like insiders.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I get that slot corner is different, but the outside guys have always been called, well, just that -- outside corners. Or just cornerbacks.

Boundary corner has always been a college term, to differentiate the guy playing the narrow side of the field from the field corner who plays the wider area of the field. Of course that's not an issue in the pros with narrower hash marks.

Oh well. Seems to me the football people and draft gurus have to come up with new lingo every few years to make themselves sound more like insiders.
Actually that is a good point.

Now that I think about it boundary corner was always used describing college corners.

I do think his guy was jazzing it up a bit.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Yeah, it's just a term that some "pundits" throw out there to sound more knowledgeable than they actually are. That sort of thing is more prevalent during the dead periods of the off season.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I swear that I remember hearing Parcells use the term.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
I love me some Byron Jones, but Collins would be far and away at the top of the list for me.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
He impressed the Hell out of me. I think he out-played all three of our pro-bowl OL last season.
According to the PFF guys he graded worst. I think we may be seeing his flashes of huge talent and grading that over consistency.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/7-nfl-sophomores-who-will-become-stars-in-2016/ar-BBsY5WA#page=1

Byron Jones, FS, Dallas Cowboys

Jones was a Swiss Army Knife for the depleted Cowboys last season, playing every position in the secondary from boundary corner to free safety. Barring significant injuries to his teammates, Jones won't be forced to move around as much this season. The Cowboys have declared him as a free safety going forward, where he's going to thrive. Despite failing to record an interception, Jones showed range and instincts roaming center field a year ago, where he'll find himself full-time as a sophomore. He's not a big hitter, but he should find himself with three-plus picks in 2016.
See guys, no worries.

We already have a Jalen Ramsey.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
According to the PFF guys he graded worst. I think we may be seeing his flashes of huge talent and grading that over consistency.
Yeah no question Collins has work to do. We judge his ceiling by the flashes of dominance that look like Larry Allen out there. But wuth offensive lineman you have be good on every play. Because one blown snap can end in a very negative play. Martin for example rarely has those.

Top Bottom