Way-too-early 2017 NFL mock draft

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
In no particular order I'd imagine the organization will target DB (either CB or S), DE, WR, QB and probably TE next year, with DE or QB going straight to the top of the list if Romo gets hurt again or Lawrence/Gregory continue being dipshits.
DE and WR I could see going either direction. Like you said at DE, if Lawrence and Gregory can't keep their shit together it is a massive need. On the flip side of that though, there is potential that if they both have a great season DE isn't a need at all. Not with young Tapper now comimg up through the ranks.

WR sort of all depends on free agency. 2 of our top 4 WRs are free agents and if they both leave its a pretty massive hole. But if we keep them, then I wouldn't be surprised if we do nothing. I'd prefer to draft some youth though. I don't like having a position with all of my guys starting into their late 20s.

DB will be a need basically no matter what. Just with age at that position and the contracts they are on, I doubt DB isn't a priority.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
WR is coming up on the priority list again for us. A Josh Doctson type in the late first would be a really smart pick for us in the next year or two.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Kiper just said that Davis Webb (Tech QB transferring out) is the top QB in next years draft.

Webb is going to Cal if he is excepted into their graduate program. If not Auburn is after him. He "commited" to Colorado due to their new OC coming from Tech this season. That is non-binding so it is meaningless.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Kiper just said that Davis Webb (Tech QB transferring out) is the top QB in next years draft.

Webb is going to Cal if he is excepted into their graduate program. If not Auburn is after him. He "commited" to Colorado due to their new OC coming from Tech this season. That is non-binding so it is meaningless.
If he goes to Cal he'll have Spavital as his OC :lol

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
If he goes to Cal he'll have Spavital as his OC :lol
I didn't realize that. I wonder what Sonny Dykes involvement is with the offense. I'd imagine he's more hands on than Sumlin in that department as the offense is his baby.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I didn't realize that. I wonder what Sonny Dykes involvement is with the offense. I'd imagine he's more hands on than Sumlin in that department as the offense is his baby.
For their sake I hope so, Spav is a great recruiter...but he's an awful OC.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
He seems lost as a leader. That's the impression I got from him.
From what I've heard on leadership he has the same problem Garrett has, he only relates to a few of the guys on the team and they become his favorites.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
From what I've heard on leadership he has the same problem Garrett has, he only relates to a few of the guys on the team and they become his favorites.
With how Sumlin likes to create a loose, exciting practice and playing environment I'm surprised he was hired. He seemed like defeated milk toast in my little insight.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
25. Dallas Cowboys

Mitch Leidner, QB, Minnesota

Leidner shows some upside as a passer, but I'll be looking to see if he can improve his accuracy (59.5 completion rate and 14-11 TD-INT ratio in 2015). Listed at 6-foot-4 and 237 pounds, Leidner has ideal size and has shown the ability to make plays with his legs off designed runs and scrambles. He's a late riser to keep an eye on, similar to Blake Bortles and Carson Wentz.
So why wouldn't he go top five like each of these guys (and Phillip Rivers, another late riser) did?

Top Bottom