JJT: Jumping jacks drill shows what Jason Garrett expects from Cowboys rookies

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jumping jacks drill shows what Jason Garrett expects from Cowboys rookies
11:57 AM ET
Jean-Jacques Taylor
ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- For Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett, the game is always about the details. The sooner the Cowboys' rookies understand that, the better for themselves and for the team.

That’s why Garrett stopped a rudimentary jumping jacks drill during a warmup period before practice last weekend.

The players were supposed to count, “one, two, three, one” followed by “one, two, three, two” and so on until they reached five.

A perturbed Garrett, doing his best drill sergeant impersonation, quickly stopped the drill because too many players weren’t in sync. He loudly reprimanded the rookies, making them re-start the drill.

“We have to do things the right way,” Garrett said. “If you don’t do things the right way right from the start, those things will continue throughout practice. We have a high standard for the way we want to do things.

“The stretch lines need to be right. The jumping jacks need to be right, and that carries over to the different drills we do before we start running football plays. Everyone needs to understand that if we're doing them, we're doing them for a reason and they need to do it the right way.”

Garrett takes nothing for granted. The coaching staff showed the rookies exactly how the drill was supposed to be done before their first practice.

“If they don’t do it that way, we stop it and get them to do it right,” Garrett said. “That’s not to suggest in any way that if we don’t stop it, they’re doing it right because, sometimes, you have to coach on the run. But if they’re not doing things the right way, you have to let them know what the standard is.”

See, you assholes? Garrett is real AF.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

See, you assholes? Garrett is real AF.
I actually agree with him there. There's a point to doing them in sync. Paying attention to detail becomes habit. Just like being sloppy and halfassing it does.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I totally agree with Garrett on this deal.

One thing I've noticed is that you don't hear players talking about Garrett much. It's like he's there but he is an afterthought with the players. Is this just me?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I actually agree with him there. There's a point to doing them in sync. Paying attention to detail becomes habit. Just like being sloppy and halfassing it does.
Oh, I agree with you, but to write an article about it like it's just further proof of how great a coach he is, well...

Carp

DCC 4Life
What I am getting from this is that we did not draft enough black players.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
warming up with jumping Jacks is some 1960s quality sports science.
It's not the jumping Jack's that is important, it's for everyone to be in sync. That is a mental exercise that has been taught for years. The military has done this approach for a long time.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Less focus on inane minutia, more focus on how to build a more creative offense that keeps defenses off balance.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
you can tell its the beginning of the offseason when we have a 2 pager on Jumping jacks

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
~ prints ~

~ wipes ass ~

Top Bottom