Cord Cutting

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Living out here in the country makes it almost impossible to go the fire stick route because the internet sucks. So, looks like I am stuck.

#makesthreadallaboutme

data

Forbes #1
How much you spend on DIRECTV monthly (excluding Sunday Ticket)? What is your goal of reduced spend per month? If you are able to slash, say, $50/month, would you keep all your services?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Um, get an antenna. Watch games for FREE!!
If you live in North Carolina an antenna wont help with Dallas Stations but I see your point about ditching the cable for an antenna.

dallen

Senior Tech
I don't know if they will do it the same way or not, but last year you were able to sign up for Sunday Ticket as a student pretty easily. For students they didn't make you prove you can't get DirecTV, and it was only $100 for the season. The only thing they asked to verify was name and birthday so if you knew a student who isn't interested in it and willing to let you sign up in their name it was pretty easy to get.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I went back and forth on ditching DirecTV, and when I called to talk about canceling they went into sales mode (I've been a customer since 97). They ultimately offered to upgrade me for free with new 4K receivers, and I got 25% off all programming for 3 years if I decided to stay.

That certainly helped, but truly my reason for staying is NFL Sunday Ticket, and I was also intrigued by the new 4K stuff. Baseball in 4K is pretty damn incredible.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I went back and forth on ditching DirecTV, and when I called to talk about canceling they went into sales mode (I've been a customer since 97). They ultimately offered to upgrade me for free with new 4K receivers, and I got 25% off all programming for 3 years if I decided to stay.

That certainly helped, but truly my reason for staying is NFL Sunday Ticket, and I was also intrigued by the new 4K stuff. Baseball in 4K is pretty damn incredible.
I'm looking forward to the 4K, as well. I have a 4K capable TV, and can't wait to see what football and baseball look like with that technology.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
[MENTION=3]boozeman[/MENTION]

Get PS Vue.

Even with the price increase that's coming, you'd still be saving 50% or more.

PS Vue has NFLN and local channels so you'll be good there.

[MENTION=2]dallen[/MENTION] has it too so he can share his impressions with you too.

Last edited:

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I got it mixed up. MOBDRO is the app that's pretty good for live TV and sports.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I switched over from DirecTV to Xfinity recently and I'm pretty sure most of the games will be national broadcasts on the networks, something like 13 of them. I looked into it before making the move because I just got tired of paying through the ass for both DirecTV and Sunday Ticket, I can't afford it right now. Xfinity does have the NFLN.

Here's the schedule with who is carrying the games:

http://www.dallascowboys.com/team/season-schedule

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
[MENTION=3]boozeman[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]dallen[/MENTION]

Looks like PS Vue just added a "Sports Pack" for 10 bucks a month.

It consists of NFL RedZone, MLB Strike Zone, ESPN Bases Loaded, ESPN Classic, ESPN Goal Line, Longhorn Network, Outside TV, NESN National, NBC Universal.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
[MENTION=3]boozeman[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]dallen[/MENTION]

Looks like PS Vue just added a "Sports Pack" for 10 bucks a month.

It consists of NFL RedZone, MLB Strike Zone, ESPN Bases Loaded, ESPN Classic, ESPN Goal Line, Longhorn Network, Outside TV, NESN National, NBC Universal.
Do you know if PSVue has added a guide for Roku yet? We have Roku's on most of tvs and the wife/kid really hated the tile interface when I tried it out awhile back.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Do you know if PSVue has added a guide for Roku yet? We have Roku's on most of tvs and the wife/kid really hated the tile interface when I tried it out awhile back.
I don't think so.....and I know what you mean because I hate the "guide" on Roku as well.

I don't know why they haven't created a guide that is more in-line with what you see on the iPad or PS4.

dallen

Senior Tech
Yeah, their Roku app sucks. I have unsubscribed for now, but I'll probably add it back once the season starts. Or I might check out Hulu Live or Youtube TV or the DirecTv one

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I don't think so.....and I know what you mean because I hate the "guide" on Roku as well.

I don't know why they haven't created a guide that is more in-line with what you see on the iPad or PS4.
Yea I didn't like it either but I could deal with it, however even with the money saved I couldn't justify giving the women of the house something to complain about

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Yeah, their Roku app sucks. I have unsubscribed for now, but I'll probably add it back once the season starts. Or I might check out Hulu Live or Youtube TV or the DirecTv one
The DirecTV one looks solid, but it's missing NFLN.

PS Vue is the only streaming service that offers NFLN and that's a big reason why I've chosen them over the other streaming services.

Top Bottom